Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Spring eyes

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
I have dipped 2 chasers plus the one that was hooked before. Three or four years ago a buddy had 4 in the net with only one being hooked. Heading back out in the morning.

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
Walleye fishing was still very good up until the wind started to blow on sunday afternoon. I fished near turtle reef on Saturday and pulled a four man limit on hair jigs. I did hear of some fish being caught on harnesses north of the reefs in deeper water. Hoping the jig bite remains good at least through the weekend. This has been the best year for jig fishing in a long time. Hopefully the nice weather will bring us a good hatch

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Forgot to post an update. My dad and his neighbor went out this past Saturday and fished in the same area he and I did the week before... about 3/4 mile out front of Wild Wings. They managed to pull a two man limit on hair jigs in pretty short order. He said the action was great, but the fish seemed to be a bit on the smaller side.

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
This weekend might be tough fishing after the blow but hoping things clean up fast. I am planning on jogging to start with but I am taking worms so I have something to turn to if the jig bite isn't happening.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Went up Saturday with a buddy and his dad. We caught our 12 without to much trouble. They had trouble gettin the rhythm but it worked out. I used a different rod and it helped me alot over my previous2 trips.

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
Fishing was good on Saturday ending the day with a 5 man limit. We had three fish in the boat before before the last guy even had his rod in the water. I caught a fish on the first two casts of the day. Sunday, was good until the wind kicked up and after that, it was tough. Looks like the lake will be fishable until Friday or Saturday when the wind is supposed to howl out of the NE.

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
The group of guys I had scheduled for last weekend decided they didn't want to fight the waves and cold so they decided on coming another weekend (good move) There were guys who went out and fished and some caught, some didnt. Everyone I talked to said the same thing "Nasty conditions". Hair jigs are still the bait of choice, but I look for the worm harnesses to pick up once the lake settles down from this blow.

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
Saturday we started out fishing near A can and only pulled one eye and the wind was causing us to drift too fast even though we had socks out, so I ran to check out shallow water on the reefs. We sat up and had 2 fish within the first 10 minutes we were there; However, the wind and waves continued to build. We fished in rough water and landed a few more fish, but by 11:00 everyone was ready to head in. When we left, there were some waves every bit of 6' and the lake was just about to the point you didn't want to be out there. It was miserable, plain and simple. Everyone I know cancelled their afternoon trips. Nobody in their right mind would have wanted to fish in those conditions. Today was a different story! I went back out to the same area I finished up yesterday and the fish were still there. We caught 7 our first dirft, 5 our second and then the boat traffic scattered the fish. I ended up finding them again in the deeper water off the edge of the reef. We ended the day at 1:00 with 26 fish that weighed 99lbs(we most likely could have caught our 30, but the guys had to get on the road). Most of our fish came on light blue and white hair jigs. We did catch a couple on harnesses as well. I am not fishing next weekend (going to spend time with the family

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
I fished with a great group of guys from WI both yesterday and today. The weather couldn't have been any nicer and the fishing was just as good. Saturday, we started out trolling near A can and worked our way north and west. We ended the day with 6 man limit plus a couple of bonus eyes. Today, we fished the same general area (I had to go back there after yesterday's catch) and pulled the lines at 1:00 with 27 fish. The overall size of the fish this year are very impressive. Our biggest went just over 26" but we had a lot of fish in the 21-24" range. In addition to the walleye, TONS of white bass/perch plus a lot of sheephead and short walleye kept everyone on their toes both days. Even though today was a little slower, great fun was had by all. Erie spoils us because I do not know of any other place where you can catch 27 quality walleye and call it a slow day. A couple of my buddies fished about 10 miles east of us today and had limits by 12:00. Most fish were caught on spoons run behind jet divers 45-70' back. We did catch a few fish on dipsey's pulling both spoons and worm harnesses. I am taking five 7th graders from my science class on a rewards fishing trip Wednesday. They are super excited, so it should be a great day.
By the way, thanks to Rob and the boys for the awesome brats and cheese on Friday night.

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
Today was a trip I look forward to every year. I took five of my 7th grade students on their rewards fishing trip. Every year, any 7th grader who makes the honor roll the first three nine weeks is eligible for the trip. I then pull 5 names and those are the kids that get to go. We left the dock around 7:30 and headed towards Niagra reef. After a quick teaching lesson, I had the kids educated on the basics of trolling. We started catching fish right away, and continued catching until we quit at 2:00 with 25 nice walleye. The biggest fish today was 27" with 5 others over 24". We also caught a million white bass and quite a few sheephead which the kids loved to real in. Even though we lost 5-6 fish right at the boat and had a couple of minor tangles, the kids did a great job. Due to a lack of wind, the bugs were awful for the first couple of hours, but they disappeared when we got a slight breeze. All fish were caught on spoons pulled behind dipseys and jet 40's. The smiles on my student's faces reminded me why I became a teacher!