Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

So close

No, but if I'm pulling a dude out of a car for a DUI, or a bolo for a domestic for example, I want to be notified. I'm not going to pretend ever guy has a weapon. Just me though.
Training I went through years ago you treated every single person as someone with a weapon. Expect the unexpected. Even kids and grandmothers. How you talk to them and handle them are different though.

Does Ohio treat handguns differently at purchase as in you need a purchase permit? Michigan does this, it resembles a title for a car where the seller fills out their portion and the buyer theirs. It is then turned in to our local PD where they are supposed to check on the gun, seller, buyer and then "destroy" the permit after data is entered into their system. Every hand gun, even from a private seller.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
You still need to fill out the 4473 but with a CCW permit they wave the call in part to see if it clears. Made it nice when I bought a pistol on Sunday once.

Reactions: Mike

Bigcountry40

I liked CCW requirements, permit less carry coupled with stand your ground law could result in some ignorant wannabe tough guys shooting people over any kind of argument or disagreement (fender bender accidents, etc). Punk kids starting fights they can't win and then pulling guns.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
The law portion was the only thing I found interesting. All the rest of the class was old news to me when I took it years ago.
The range time requirements were also disappointing. I’m not suggesting everyone should qualify to the “bullseye club” but comonman. Center mass at 6 foot???
How about 2-3 or 500 rounds just so you get
To know the gun if your new or can’t qualify right out of the gate.

I have taught both my daughters how to load, shoot and clear everything from a muzzle loader to AR and AK’s, revolvers to semi auto handgun’s, as well as a can of wasp spray that shoots 18’ but when they bring up getting a CCW, I tell em “when your as comfortable with that gun as you are that cell phone… then it’s time.”

Times being what they are, new shooters are always welcome but get some ammo and shoot so you get comfortable with it before strapping it on an going to the mall.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The law portion was the only thing I found interesting. All the rest of the class was old news to me when I took it years ago.
The range time requirements were also disappointing. I’m not suggesting everyone should qualify to the “bullseye club” but comonman. Center mass at 6 foot???
How about 2-3 or 500 rounds just so you get
To know the gun if your new or can’t qualify right out of the gate.

I have taught both my daughters how to load, shoot and clear everything from a muzzle loader to AR and AK’s, revolvers to semi auto handgun’s, as well as a can of wasp spray that shoots 18’ but when they bring up getting a CCW, I tell em “when your as comfortable with that gun as you are that cell phone… then it’s time.”

Times being what they are, new shooters are always welcome but get some ammo and shoot so you get comfortable with it before strapping it on an going to the mall.
Most malls don’t allow guns…. 😂

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm honestly surprised he followed through with signing it, but as a RINO seeking reelection, he couldn't risk the gun vote. Make no mistake, Dewine is not pro-2A, this was a political move to buy your vote in the primary. Don't forget how he handled COVID when May comes around...
Bingo!

Don't forget the Dayton Night club shooting where Dewine was suggesting red flag laws right after it happened. That isn't pro 2a.

I'll never forget the one OBB awards I went to. He was the speaker. He told lie after lie about how pro 2a he was and how he had other backs of outdoorsman and fun enthusiasts. Liar.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Before Ohio passed a CCW law the police unions were opposed, many police chiefs and sheriffs made statements against it, many people were warning that Bullets would be flying everywhere. Pretty much the same arguments as today and none of that happened.

20 some state have constitutional carry now and they haven’t seen problems I’m confident we won’t either.

Bigcountry40

I'm honestly surprised he followed through with signing it, but as a RINO seeking reelection, he couldn't risk the gun vote. Make no mistake, Dewine is not pro-2A, this was a political move to buy your vote in the primary. Don't forget how he handled COVID when May comes around...
This is spot on, Dewine is feeling the heat from Joe Blystone (who I don't care for at all) and the ultra freedom fighters. What did Dewine do different than most red states, didnt most red states follow the the same policy as Dewine? I'm not saying I agreed with any of the policies, but across the board Ohio followed suit and was not very restrictive compared to some red/purple states like North Carolina, obviously much less than blue states.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Before Ohio passed a CCW law the police unions were opposed, many police chiefs and sheriffs made statements against it, many people were warning that Bullets would be flying everywhere. Pretty much the same arguments as today and none of that happened.

20 some state have constitutional carry now and they haven’t seen problems I’m confident we won’t either.
Exactly, you beat me too this…. There may be an uptick of under a percentage point, but I don’t foresee any doom and gloom happening.
As far as cops go? They’ll adapt. They’ll ask the question if you’re carrying. If they don’t, then that’s on them.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Exactly, you beat me too this…. There may be an uptick of under a percentage point, but I don’t foresee any doom and gloom happening.
As far as cops go? They’ll adapt. They’ll ask the question if inedyou’re carrying. If they don’t, then that’s on them.
Yeah prolly a few more people will shoot themselfs - don't think a bad guy will fess up to a cops question - cops prolly have already trained in this.
My grandpa was a Cleveland cop in the day they walked a beat, cuffed guys to signs and utility poles so they could walk to a call box a couple blocks away and call a paddy wagon - dang - no radio or body cam