Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sleepless night ahead....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
TOOVILLE, this whole thing has been very stressful for both of us. She doesn't know what she did wrong and feels bad that the deer is hurt and in pain. She wanted to find this deer, get pictures taken with this deer,mount this deer so she can admire this deer up on the wall next to her daddy's and most importantly share the delicious meat with her family.

I of course wanted the same things but seeing her go through this is difficult in itself! I feel horrible that during the heat of the moment that I didn't at least do my part and record this awesome moment in it's entirety. I guess it happened so fast and I was more concerned with turning him back towards us for a shot with the grunt tube that my mind wasn't totally fixed on if I was recording it or not... FUGG!!!! It's torturing me as I type this still !!!!!!!!

I did get the I the reaction of both of us seconds after the shot because I checked the cam as I went from the impact scene and him running off right to her and THAT 'S when I realized it that I FUGGED up!

This happening on the eve of youth season filling up the woods around us even more during the searching the next day didn't help either. Where we lost blood after about 450-500 yards it just got too difficult to locate any more. The last 75-80 yards was getting tougher to see and find as well. It appeared that the blood was coagulating around the bolt shaft and he had yet to lay down. Him not pulling the bolt out didn't help but it still doesn't explain to either of us why the apparent good shot placement didn't kill this deer like it should.

We both hope the deer is still alive and heals up to become another ethical hunters proud moment or gives either of us another shot but if he does die I sure hope the finder has the compassion to contact us so Karissa can at least have the rack to go with her memory of this special day for the both of us.

I'll let you know if anything develops in the future...

LonewolfNopack

The woods
TOOVILLE, this whole thing has been very stressful for both of us. She doesn't know what she did wrong and feels bad that the deer is hurt and in pain. She wanted to find this deer, get pictures taken with this deer,mount this deer so she can admire this deer up on the wall next to her daddy's and most importantly share the delicious meat with her family.

I of course wanted the same things but seeing her go through this is difficult in itself! I feel horrible that during the heat of the moment that I didn't at least do my part and record this awesome moment in it's entirety. I guess it happened so fast and I was more concerned with turning him back towards us for a shot with the grunt tube that my mind wasn't totally fixed on if I was recording it or not... FUGG!!!! It's torturing me as I type this still !!!!!!!!

I did get the I the reaction of both of us seconds after the shot because I checked the cam as I went from the impact scene and him running off right to her and THAT 'S when I realized it that I FUGGED up!

This happening on the eve of youth season filling up the woods around us even more during the searching the next day didn't help either. Where we lost blood after about 450-500 yards it just got too difficult to locate any more. The last 75-80 yards was getting tougher to see and find as well. It appeared that the blood was coagulating around the bolt shaft and he had yet to lay down. Him not pulling the bolt out didn't help but it still doesn't explain to either of us why the apparent good shot placement didn't kill this deer like it should.

We both hope the deer is still alive and heals up to become another ethical hunters proud moment or gives either of us another shot but if he does die I sure hope the finder has the compassion to contact us so Karissa can at least have the rack to go with her memory of this special day for the both of us.

I'll let you know if anything develops in the future...

Sorry to hear brother. You two are so very deserving of this buck. Makes me sick. I know you will keep at it though and good things will come around for you.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Hate go hear that Ric. Before during and after the shot you guys did everything you could. It's a tough pill to swallow. But you guys will be back!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Hate to hear this Ric. Sounds like you both did your jobs but sometimes there are no answers other then they are tough critters. Sounds like you all did what you could to find him. Get her back out there and put one on the ground. It's the only way to lessen the sting on losing a deer.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Makes me sick to hear this Ric. I was really pulling for you guys to find that mongoloid. I'm sure you wanted it to happen for her much more than you would want for yourself, that makes it even worse. All I can say is sorry bud. I know you will keep at it and keep her spirits up. It will work out in the long run. I know you will keep trying.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Sorry to hear it Ric. I was hoping for the best for both of you. Better luck next time brother. Keep your head up.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Sorry to hear brother. You two are so very deserving of this buck. Makes me sick. I know you will keep at it though and good things will come around for you.

I know the frustration Ric. Karly hit her second one Saturday and I came up empty Too. It's frustrating for her and you. She has lost some abition because of it. Like I told her this stuff happens to the best sportsman.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm still determined to use whatever resources I have to find this deer and am not giving up till I either find him,hear of someone else finding him or hear of someone seeing him still on his feet! I sure hope if he is dead and found that the person contacts us and let's us have the rack but you never know these days!

I do have several friends helping in the search in their free time and several keeping eyes open for buzzards. This is sooooo frustrating going through this but let me tell you something about Karissa that really makes me proud! Here, I'll let y'all read this text she sent me at 9 last night after her 1 hour drive back to school!

This was her text:

I had an hour to think on the way here....I'm not ready to give up hunting this season..I was determined to get a deer this year and I still am. Even tho I shot a deer I'm still not satisfied so the next chance I get to go out hunting I wanna go and finish strong!

I needed this!!!! That made this father very proud!!!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You know, as frustrating as it is and as shitty it is to not find one, I think the spark was ignited in her. Although, as we talked about, she hasn't gotten closure yet, she still got to experience that feeling that comes over you when you have that encounter and connect. That will keep her coming back for more. Gotta love her spirit!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You know, as frustrating as it is and as shitty it is to not find one, I think the spark was ignited in her. Although, as we talked about, she hasn't gotten closure yet, she still got to experience that feeling that comes over you when you have that encounter and connect. That will keep her coming back for more. Gotta love her spirit!

I totally agree Mike!