Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shoulder surgery….anyone been through it?

Smawgunner2

Athens County
Had my follow up with the surgeon today. I first had to apologize to him. I was pretty much lights out from the fentanyl/opioid cocktail IV in the operating room, but when they started to pump the anesthesia into my hand IV, it burned like hell and I snapped out of it with a few MFers and other assorted colorful language. The doc laughed and said I gave them some good entertainment 😆
But the rotator cuff was a mild tear and they used 3 anchors. The bicep on the other hand was a 7 out of 10. The picture shows the shredded tendon. They cut the bad part out and reattached it to the bone with an anchor a little lower down the arm. I'm feeling pretty darn good. Have some exercises at home and PT starts next week. He said I should be able to kayak (flat water) this summer. 👍🏼😎 A much better prognosis than I anticipated. Still have to wear this sling for another month.
4FB2E678-646B-4B97-9B0A-3654011A54FF.jpeg

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Great update.

When you start feeling better just remember not to let cockiness get the better of you and make you do something you shouldn't. Cockiness and ego will get you in trouble quickly and undo everything you worked so hard to get fixed. Be humble and take it slow and steady. Do your at home exercises!

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Great update.

When you start feeling better just remember not to let cockiness get the better of you and make you do something you shouldn't. Cockiness and ego will get you in trouble quickly and undo everything you worked so hard to get fixed. Be humble and take it slow and steady. Do your at home exercises!
true that, I was jerking around on a box blade, trying to hook it up tuesday and I thought, well Doc said I was good to go, we will see. lol nothing happened other than me cussing at the box blade and tractor.

• Haha
Reactions: Left field

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Found this article, sounds like a lot of the old ways AP of deals with it ended up being no better than just doing nothing. @Hedgelj you been hearing or seeing any of this?

I haven't heard anything about this yet. It all depends on the particular provider and what types of continuing ed they do and how that impacts their practice.

The bigger impact will be if insurance companies run with this info and change how our if they will cover these procedures.

If the provider isn't going to get paid and the cash price is prohibitive to their patients the procedures won't be done.

Smawgunner2

Athens County
I go in on December 11th to have Reverse Shoulder Replacement on my right shoulder. Too fucked up to repair so I get a whole new one.
The left will be sometime down the road.
Believe it or not, the recovery for a replacement is shorter. My dad had it done and came back stronger than ever. It’s been 10 months now for me and I hardly think about it now. I’m working out with no issues. Every once in a while I’ll feel something but no pain.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Believe it or not, the recovery for a replacement is shorter. My dad had it done and came back stronger than ever. It’s been 10 months now for me and I hardly think about it now. I’m working out with no issues. Every once in a while I’ll feel something but no pain.
That's what the surgeon said..less pain quicker recovery. Hoping that's true. As long as the pain goes away and I can still workout and shoot my stickbows I will be happy.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
My torn bicep was 9 out of 10. They placed an anchor and reattached it lower on the bone….that was a couple years ago and today I feel a lot of pain if I try to lift anything even mildly heavy. I may have to go back and have it checked out. I’m starting to believe I may have pulled the anchor or something to that effect.

Smawgunner2

Athens County
I have both my biceps pinned and 90% of the time they are pain free. The other times the are a dull pain to very sharp pain. It all depends on what I do or how I move.
When they do that, at least on the upper tendon, they reattach it an inch or so lower. So my range of motion isn’t exactly what it used to be and I’m only guessing that it’s because of that. But I can do anything I used to before surgery so it doesn’t bother me.