Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shooting a fall hen…?

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
What would you do? I have a very healthy, and well established turkey population. Plenty of birds in the spring, and fall/ wintering flocks of birds north of 50 birds. I have a very specific hen I’d like to kill, but everyone is talking about turkey populations being nearly decimated in some areas, and Ohios new regulations are reflecting that. I doubt killing her would make a big difference for the future of this flock, but I’d like to hear your thoughts. I’ve had her on cam for a few years, and mistakenly shot what I assume was her sister that didn’t have a beard.

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Sorry it’s shit quality, but you get the idea
A10A4B8F-A111-47A9-8F1F-64832EBF02F3.jpeg

Floki

Just do what Joe/Brandon would do. Walk up to
sniff it’s feathers then try to rub the hair on its legs.

Once it looks at you like most do him with that WTF look ,Proceed to ask it if it likes pudding.

If it looks confused and laughs at you shoot it.🤣👍

Nah if you know your population and you feel it’s good enough. I’d Jeffery Dahmer it!

I would shoot a hen around my place with no hesitation zip zilch zero. Where I’m at there’s just way to many.

Probably peeves others that are low on hens. Obviously tho they’re not in the position I or you are. Do you.

Hope to hear your story soon.

Last edited:

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
Coming from someone who went from hearing and seeing several toms every day of the season to not hearing or seeing any anymore at all the last 3 years I'd say smoke her. Your population is healthy enjoy it while you can. It's all location specific right now. I seen a few hens last week in my one spot it's the first I've seen them there in almost ten years. However I can drive 20 minutes to the next town at a buddys and he is literally over run with turkeys . They destroy his woods and I can usually tag out there no problem with the average hunt lasting an hour. A bearded smoke hen would be a no brainer ! Get after her and post pictures!