Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shed Antler Traps....pic heavy

Frmrfred

This is a great thread. This year I am trying something new. It is kind of like the brushpile trap but I am using little bundles of saplings that i have growing in an overgrown field. I have about 4 groups of 4-10 ft tall saplings and i put corn in the middle of the saplings. Don't know if it will work but I'll let everyone know.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hey Jim, I was going to add to my article that the bucket should be anchored down. I thought that when the corn is gone the bucket would flip up. Am I correct in thinking this?

You're correct, Corey. Without an anchor of some kind, the force of the bungees would lift the barrel off the ground when empty. I use one of those 12-18" earth anchors... TSC usually has them... I think they're red. Screw that into the ground, then the eyelet of the anchor goes up through a slot cut in the bottom of the barrel. Then run a steel bar or all-thread inside the barrel, through the eyelet of the earth anchor.

Huckleberry Finn

You're correct, Corey. Without an anchor of some kind, the force of the bungees would lift the barrel off the ground when empty. I use one of those 12-18" earth anchors... TSC usually has them... I think they're red. Screw that into the ground, then the eyelet of the anchor goes up through a slot cut in the bottom of the barrel. Then run a steel bar or all-thread inside the barrel, through the eyelet of the earth anchor.

Do they look like the ones in this link: http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?4846-antler-trap&highlight=antler+trap?? I found this one off a google image search!!