Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

select cut scared to death?

giblet

I am fully aware of the benefits of doing the cut. I am just not sure the best process to go about doing it.

State forester?

I have a strip of pines that runs through the center of my farm, the deer love them and so do I. I don't think I will allow those to be touched. I have big poplars in the bottom to the north. I wouldn't mind getting that cut as I think it would open up an area to put in a plot there swell as make a nice thicket in years to come.

When you say poplar are you talking about tulip(yellow) poplar or is it the poplar aspen like quaking or big tooth?

at1010

*Supporting Member*

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Cut the popular. Last I talked to a certified forester (November), popular was bringing good money. Other than being great trees for climbers, they offer very little to wildlife. IMO, cutting a popular stand down and letting it thicken up is a great move.

What he said. Poplar is useless to deer. Poplar is also a great wood for inside walls of a cabin.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
What he said. Poplar is useless to deer. Poplar is also a great wood for inside walls of a cabin.

I got the cabin buddy. Just want to make sure I get this done correctly.

I know my neighbor had a guy do a select cut. He actually ended up with a small area to make a food plot. He now has a small food plot next to a great select cut. He has been seeing a lot of deer use that area.

giblet

There's clearly 2 types of poplar being talked about in this thread and most people don't know the difference. If its quaking aspen poplar, the deer, grouse and turkey love it and it will get thicker than hell after you cut it as said in previous posts because it sends up suckers off the root system and is damn near impossible to get rid of. But you won't get two squirts of piss from it if you try to sell it and that is if you can find somebody to take it. If you find somebody that will pay premium money for it, let me know cause I got some more they can buy. Some people use it in interior applications because it has no rot resistance but its a bitch to work with because it warps and splits so much. Most people that have used it put it up green. One application is match stick manufacturing if that tells you anything about its burning properties.

Tulip or yellow poplar, on the other hand, is a semi valuable hardwood has good woodworking properties and is used in many applications. Some regions last fall it wasn't too far below maple in price. Not as valuable to wildlife as quaking aspen but definitely not worthless especially if you are managing your timber with the expectation of some sort of financial return.