Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scent Crusher

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
My point was I trust the washer to remove any 'bacteria' and scent that is on my clothes. I am probably in the minority in that I wash my clothes as often as possible, usually after every hunt. Afterwards I just throw them in a rubbermaid tote that has probably a 10 yr old HS dirt wafer in it.
Even if the Ozonics gizmo 100% worked and removed all the scent, none of that matters with respect to your body oder (the producer of 'bacteria') as soon as you put those clothes on. Or I guess we could hunt naked to totally remove clothes from the equation???

Never smoked up either. That method sort of reminds me of the old saying about all bathroom spray does is make the bathroom smell like poopy flowers.

Reactions: giles

jlane

dunn nc
Smoke works.But with that being said i don't care for the smell every time
So i wash all my clothes, air dry a couple days in the sun(sun will naturully elimanate scent), then put in a air tight dry box and dump a 50# bag of corn,then seal it up.
that is outer layers only, have deer follow my trail in on several occaisons, it works.

Cardinalbuck

NE Ohio
Ok all, don't castrate me for this post.

However have you seen this product? It makes sense to me, it seems that it would really work. I never really bought into OZONICS as I feel that with wind swirl and all it just wouldn't work that well. However, this product you put your clothes into it, it pumps it full of OZONE and it kills all scent bacteria. I have read some great reviews, and I hate buying into gimmicks but this one has me intrigued.

Am I just getting fooled by marketing?

Both scent purge and ozonics made a difference with a drug sniffing dog. Maybe it gains you a few seconds with a whitetail...

http://www.fieldandstream.com/artic...work-ozone-scent-control-vs-drug-sniffing-dog

bonecollecter

Tuscarawas Co
I think all those gimmicks are just a money pit. I would say showering with sent free soaps and using field spay would work just as good. And playing the wind right.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I think all those gimmicks are just a money pit. I would say showering with sent free soaps and using field spay would work just as good. And playing the wind right.

I agree!!! A lot of us were killing deer long before a lot of these gimmicks and gadgets came along! That includes the TV personalities TOO!

One of my favorite TV personalities,David Holder of Raised Hunting is a huge advocate or user of the Scent Crusher and got winded by a buck in the latest hunting show I saw this past week!

OhioHunter88

Perry County
I've been thinking of playing around with these devices this year.

I can say 100% that we have machines to run inside cars and it will drastically help out with a car that has been smoked in for years, those machines we run overnight in a vehicle and sometimes longer with the windows slightly cracked.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I've been thinking of playing around with these devices this year.

I can say 100% that we have machines to run inside cars and it will drastically help out with a car that has been smoked in for years, those machines we run overnight in a vehicle and sometimes longer with the windows slightly cracked.
Play around with smoking some wood chips and save yourself some money!

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Smoke works.But with that being said i don't care for the smell every time
So i wash all my clothes, air dry a couple days in the sun(sun will naturully elimanate scent), then put in a air tight dry box and dump a 50# bag of corn,then seal it up.
that is outer layers only, have deer follow my trail in on several occaisons, it works.

Interesting.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Interesting.

You still want to remember to approach your stand location from the upwind direction and circle around thru your shooting lanes before entering your stand though.

I guess I'm the type that likes to keep it as simple and least expensive as possible. Heck, I remember Ron and I just taking bathes in baking soda and washing our camo(before scent loc was around) in baking soda having great success! You still have to play the wind in your favor though! The grunt tube is the only gadget that's come along that's really a must have in my fanny pack! I can make a more realistic grunt sound with my mouth but I just can't get the volume I need like I can with a grunt tube. Bucks usually come right in if they hear a grunt. Rattling horns fake or real will do the same but be prepared for the mature bucks to circle downwind which brings us back to scent elimination products like the Scent Crusher or Ozonics.

Blan37

SW Ohio
I was reading a little more about ozone and just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone thinking about trying it. Ozone is corrosive to some materials and how it acts as a bleaching agent on cottons. People who use these in their cars a lot have reported that plastics become brittle. I don't think I'd want to chance putting my bow in with high concentrations of ozone.

Here's a list of some things that are compatible / incompatible:

http://www.ozonesolutions.com/info/ozone-compatible-materials

I'm not an Ozone expert and have no idea how much ozone or exposure is required to damage polymers, but I thought it was at least worth mentioning.

Just 1 More

I've been using an Ozonics unit (HR-200) for the past few years, upgraded this year to newer version (HR-300). I believe that it gives that extra little help with staying undetected. I agree that nothing is 100% but, I see nothing wrong with using the tools available. I wash everything, all clothing, all year, in scent free dye free laundry detergent, bath with unscented soaps and shampoos.
Like I said, the Ozonics unit is just another tool in MY effort to go undetected.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It's interesting for sure. Especially the part about it's how the remove the smoke smell from fire damaged homes. If it can remove that odor logic would dictate it could remove other odors. I'll still just smoke my clothes right back up though.

Sort of a TTT here.

I bought one of the ozone machines. Been awhile but I gave it the first real test here recently. I used it when I first got it for a couple vehicles just to see how it did. Seemed to give the vehicles a different smell. Took away "funk" smells but left a different "smell" in them.

Had a rental come open. Lady must have sat in there and chain smoked all day. I knew this was going to be a true test for the machine. Ran it for 2hrs and had the unit closed up. Came back. Still smelled cigarette smoke. Turned it on for another 2hr run in a different area of the unit and left. Came back and it was considerably better but there was still a hint of smoke in there. Moved it to another location and ran it a third time. Came back. No smoke smell. As stated though, it leaves a weird smell in there. Sort of like a motel room smell. Not an odor per say, but not a natural smell. I boxed it up and took it home. Left 3 windows cracked in different areas of the apartment. That was a day or two ago. Showed the place to someone tonight. Opened the door and bam! Smelled like smoke again. I'm afraid I am going to need to paint and clean all the carpets or settle for a renter who just doesn't care what it smells like.

To sum up my thoughts on the ozone machine: I'm still in limbo. Temporary fix? Yes. In smaller areas like a car? Yes, it works. To remove cigarette smells from someone smoking in an apartment (800-900sq ft) for 7-8 months? Doesn't appear to do the job. Maybe if I run it a few more times it will work? I don't know.

Will it work for hunting clothes? Quite possible. Most of them aren't as drenched in smells. Not sure if it will fool a deer though. I just don't know.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I've heard other people say it leaves a weird unnatural smell, that in itself is enough to turn me off. I get wood chips for free😎

Fletch

Supporting Member
Gimmicks,,Gimmicks,,Gimmicks.... Tiffany and others are all laughing on their way to the bank... Scent preventive clothing,, Special Bag's to put your clothes in,, Ozone machines... Whats next,, Doe in Estrus toothpaste??? How in the heck did guys kill deer years ago wearing blue jeans and a red flannel shirt???

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Gimmicks,,Gimmicks,,Gimmicks.... Tiffany and others are all laughing on their way to the bank... Scent preventive clothing,, Special Bag's to put your clothes in,, Ozone machines... Whats next,, Doe in Estrus toothpaste??? How in the heck did guys kill deer years ago wearing blue jeans and a red flannel shirt???
They played the wind, Rich😎