Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scent control products tested

Smawgunner2

Athens County
Interesting test on scent control products. Granted, the dog gets right up in your face but most of the time from the get go that dog heads right for the target. Makes me rethink the whole market of these products. I shower with scent control soap, wash my gear in it, spray down...all that shit and I've still gotten busted even in perfect wind conditions. But there are times when I've been undetected too....so who knows. I'm skeptical at this point.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I use my own "system". It's a lifestyle in deer season not just something I do before I head to the woods. I get away with a lot and use none of the products shown there.
I think some people emit odors that can't be totally neutralized. I'm fortunate to not be in that catagory.

Reactions: Smawgunner2

SNIPERBBB

Se ohio
What I tell new guys getting into coyote trapping...unless you are going to put on a fully sealed hazmaz suit and UV sterilize it every time you get out of the truck, you are going to give off scent. The body sloughs off thousands of skin cells every minute. Plus the body oils, sweat, flatulence, breathe, etc. You can limit things as best you can, but you'll never eliminate odors.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What I tell new guys getting into coyote trapping...unless you are going to put on a fully sealed hazmaz suit and UV sterilize it every time you get out of the truck, you are going to give off scent. The body sloughs off thousands of skin cells every minute. Plus the body oils, sweat, flatulence, breathe, etc. You can limit things as best you can, but you'll never eliminate odors.
I totally agree. My strategy over the past few years is this: Keep myself and my hunting clothes as scent-free as possible, and do my best hang sets that put the wind/thermals in my favor. Basically... just don't do anything stupid.

A long-time coyote trapper told me one time, "Don't bother trying to be scent-free when making coyote sets. Just get in, get out, and get it overwith. Then let it sit. That coyote can smell you, what you had for breakfast, and how long ago you ate it... no matter what you do."

Cogz

Cogz
TX
Hunt mobile and play the wind and thermals. Use unscented deodorant and stop the cologne or aftershave after labor day. Maybe smoke up on occasions of marginal wind if you’re getting aggressive, but make sure you have a shot if a deer gets near that marginal direction. Can’t remember where i heard it but we drive past the bakery and smell the bread, deer smell the ingredients.

Reactions: giles and Mike

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
I think I remember a mythbusters episode where they tried to defeat a tracking dog and various sniffer dogs. The strategy that had the best results was where they put out large numbers of stinky dog treats and food to distract the dog. The Leo had a little bit of a time wrangling the dog, but the fugitive still got caught.

• Haha
Reactions: Smawgunner2

Bigcountry40

I smoke my clothes keep them bagged with leaves and corn stalks in a plastic tote. I buy the spray in February when it’s like 80% off and just use it on my head face and hands. I never wash my clothes in the washer, just spray them off with the hose and hand them in the yard to air dry.

Bowkills

Nw oh
My wife can detect hops on my breath for about 2hrs after consuming a small 12oz amount. If i cant fool her with coverups like gum coffee smoke chew im not going to trick a deer with my rankness.

Reactions: Bighoun52

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Happy-Nuts-deodorant-for-mens-balls.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: "J"

Creamer

Athens
I'm approaching scent control differently this year. Basically, I know that on long hikes deep into public, I'm screwed. I can't not sweat, and I usually sweat a lot. If I am carrying a pack, I am sweating right into it, so it's a huge scent wick. I tried playing the wind, but I've seen the thermals kick me in the nuts too many times in the last year or two. Especially on morning hunts, I'm going to (unless it's really blowing early) ignore the wind and play my setups based off the thermals only. To an extent, I'll do the same on afternoon hunts. Those will be trickier, though. If the wind is blowing, I obviously don't want my scent blowing into where the deer are, so balancing that with what the thermals will do as the sun drops will be (I think) the key for me. I got busted on a lot of morning hunts, betrayed by a rising thermal that didn't do what the predicted wind for the day was going to do once it started blowing.

Reactions: Chancegriffis

Bigcountry40

I'm approaching scent control differently this year. Basically, I know that on long hikes deep into public, I'm screwed. I can't not sweat, and I usually sweat a lot. If I am carrying a pack, I am sweating right into it, so it's a huge scent wick. I tried playing the wind, but I've seen the thermals kick me in the nuts too many times in the last year or two. Especially on morning hunts, I'm going to (unless it's really blowing early) ignore the wind and play my setups based off the thermals only. To an extent, I'll do the same on afternoon hunts. Those will be trickier, though. If the wind is blowing, I obviously don't want my scent blowing into where the deer are, so balancing that with what the thermals will do as the sun drops will be (I think) the key for me. I got busted on a lot of morning hunts, betrayed by a rising thermal that didn't do what the predicted wind for the day was going to do once it started blowing.
When I walk a long way I carry a garbage bag in my pack, take off my underarmor or sweat wicking clothes, dry myself with a small towel and put on the clothes I will hunt in. I would then place the sweaty clothes in a garbage bag tie it up and leave it at the base of the tree under some leaves and sticks.

I agree with @Spencie
I have a system it is a life style during bow season
I also watch the wind and thermal’s
I make my sets based on wind direction and don’t hunt them unless the wind is right
It is harder in hill country where the wind swirls and changes regularly
I hunt Knox county which is pretty flat but I also hunt hocking and Vinton counties that are not flat
I almost never get busted in Knox
Hocking and Vinton I do occasionally get busted
Also down south I can’t use my weather apps to verify wind and when it might change
In Knox county I can🤷🏻‍♂️

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I agree with @Spencie
I have a system it is a life style during bow season
I also watch the wind and thermal’s
I make my sets based on wind direction and don’t hunt them unless the wind is right
It is harder in hill country where the wind swirls and changes regularly
I hunt Knox county which is pretty flat but I also hunt hocking and Vinton counties that are not flat
I almost never get busted in Knox
Hocking and Vinton I do occasionally get busted
Also down south I can’t use my weather apps to verify wind and when it might change
In Knox county I can🤷🏻‍♂️
I also set my stands for predicted winds but the way the wind swirls and changes in this part of the state I’m not sure it matters.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
My wife can detect hops on my breath for about 2hrs after consuming a small 12oz amount. If i cant fool her with coverups like gum coffee smoke chew im not going to trick a deer with my rankness.
Tell her you were eating frog legs or rabbit. What she smells is the hops.

• Haha
Reactions: Big_Holla