Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scent Control 101

lowegirl

Like Hicks, I start by cleaning the washer and dryer. I wash very small loads, and at times even let the load soak for a little while in scent free detergent before letting the cycle run through. They go straight from the washer to the dryer with a scent free dryer sheet. Then they get hung outside, sprayed with scent killer, then put in a tote. Probably wouldn't hurt to wipe out the tote with scent free detergent and water too.

I've tried the vacuum bags, but I find they tend to rip easy.

I use the same procedure with bath towels, wash cloths and backpacks that I'll be using on hunting days as well. If it's a day that I'll be hunting morning and evening I'll leave the towels and wash cloths on the porch until I shower again. I can't see myself not showering before I go hunting. My skin gets really dry in the winter so I use Aveno scent free lotion, and don't wear any hair products or makeup when I go hunting. I see some of these women on TV wearing a face full of makeup when they hunt, and to each their own, but it's not scent free and I just don't see the need for it.

I don't like wearing gloves, but walking in and getting into my stand or blind I wear them. Once I'm situated I take them off and use scent killer in my hands. One thing I need to get better at is remembering gloves when I'm going in to bait or check the cam. Most of then time I'm just wanting to get in do what I need to do and back out as fast as I can and don't think about it.

I've heard of people eating apples before they hunt, and even cutting them up and putting them in their pockets while they hunt as well. Not sure if it works, but can't imagine that it'd hurt. I don't pay much attention to my breath, other than that A.M. brushing with mint paste. Maybe I should but I generally always breathe through my nose, and my face is covered.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here's a scenario...

You just left your job at the office. You have product in your hair (gel) because if you don't your hair frizzes like Buckwheat's. Can't wear a hat all day... not allowed. You want to drive straight to your hunting spot, get out, get dressed, spray down, smoke up, go hunt. You put your hat on, but what do you do about your hair? Does the spray and smoke eliminate the possible odor from the gel?

(no, I'm not a homo)

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I wash my huntin clothes in scent free laundry detergent, put them in a tote fresh out of the dryer.... Smoke them up along with all my carry in gear...... Wake up, get dressed go down out on boots and head too the truck get too the parking spot put on my hunting clothes grab my bow and gear and head too the tree.... When I get too the base of the tree I change my socks and up the ladder stand I go.... End of scent control from that point forward.....

This has been my routine since I bought the scent smoker 6-7 years ago.....

lowegirl

Here's a scenario...

You just left your job at the office. You have product in your hair (gel) because if you don't your hair frizzes like Buckwheat's. Can't wear a hat all day... not allowed. You want to drive straight to your hunting spot, get out, get dressed, spray down, smoke up, go hunt. You put your hat on, but what do you do about your hair? Does the spray and smoke eliminate the possible odor from the gel?

(no, I'm not a homo)

Finally a question I can answer!! As a stylist for 20+ years and familiar with every hair product there is, I can assure you that after the gel and your hair dries there is no scent from that product until it's wet again. I wouldn't suggest using scent killer in your hair as that will rewet it, and activate to scent once again. Cover with a hat/smoke and hunt.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I disagree, I use the AXE spiker stuff on my hair, and my hat will smell like it when I take it off.

Mike, I usally dont worry about it, i figure its under my hat, and I smoked my hat and my hair, it should be good. That or ill just use the tiniest bit of gel enough so it doesn't go all buckwheat on me. That spiker stuff is some strong smelling stuff.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I disagree, I use the AXE spiker stuff on my hair, and my hat will smell like it when I take it off.

Mike, I usally dont worry about it, i figure its under my hat, and I smoked my hat and my hair, it should be good. That or ill just use the tiniest bit of gel enough so it doesn't go all buckwheat on me. That spiker stuff is some strong smelling stuff.

glad I'm not the only pretty boy here. Lol

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Finally a question I can answer!! As a stylist for 20+ years and familiar with every hair product there is, I can assure you that after the gel and your hair dries there is no scent from that product until it's wet again. I wouldn't suggest using scent killer in your hair as that will rewet it, and activate to scent once again. Cover with a hat/smoke and hunt.

I agree. I use treaseme gel and smoke my hair and hat thoroughly. Can't smell it in the slightest.

The axe stuff you guys use likely has fragrance added. Btw. Axe? Really? What are you 15? Lol.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good thread. I do everything Phil listed except the dryer. Been married over 49 yrs. and on the 2nd dryer. The wife never uses it as everything is still hung outside. Only replaced the dryer after 38 yrs. because the daughter thought it was unsafe because I hotwired the safety switch on the door. I told her don't open the door when it's running. The wife over ruled me.
I don't dip and never gave much thought to the breath. I drink coffee all day when on stand but I did cutout the mustard on my sandwiches.
After starting the smoking before each hunt last year after learning about here on TOO I wasn't busted by not one deer last year. Even when down wind.

Did someone mention Ever Calm Deer Herd? If so I missed it. I started using that last year at the same time as the smoker. I'm not about to experiment which one works the best alone. When I bought the Ever Calm it came with a container of the Doe stuff. Now I never seen a reaction to the Doe stuff.

Good thing for all that this old thread was brought back up. Good reminder.

lowegirl

I guess Axe is the exception to the rule. They say it brings the ladies in and drives 'em wild. Could come in handy when that hot doe comes in sniffin around.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I also use the Evercalm on my boots. Seems to help keep them at ease but tough to honestly judge some of this. You have to guess how they would have reacted were you NOT smoking your gear or wearing Evercalm, etc. Impossible. I just know this combination along with keeping my stuff clean is very effective.

I do a lot of what you guys do as well. A couple things I do in addition:

1. I have at least two towels/washcloths that I wash in scent free detergent and then smoke them up completely. I use these when I shower before a hunt. Nothing like covering everything with a good dry off with a smoke laden towel.

2. For my breath, I use a scent blocker face mask that I smoke up well. When it is prime time, it's cold out or especially if I have a deer coming in I make sure I pull it up over my mouth to breath into. Now when it's warm it's hard for me to do this but I will often try to breath into the collar of my jacket or something.

3. I also have several cloth handkerchiefs that I wash and then smoke up as well. Of course I use these for that runny nose but I also use them (clean one's) if by chance I get sweaty on the way in.