Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rumor or Truth

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
You guys bring up NR property owners, which I am one. I have been told I don't need a license if the state I live in allows NR property owners to hunt their land without a license. I have called both states and can't get a straight answer from them.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
How so? Just curious why?

Just don't want to pay $100 to shoot a doe. I like to keep our numbers in check but It costs so much to hunt as it is. I don't think it would be a good thing for a lot of people.
I typically buy a lic. and one tag. If I shoot a deer ill buy another. And its possible that this will be the forth year that I will eat a tag.
Ive already shot 2 does but still haven't made it happen on the right buck. Sure I could have filled the tag many times. But I'm waiting for the right buck. If I have to pay $100 for a tag I might lower my standerds and get meat and shoot a smaller buck.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
You guys bring up NR property owners, which I am one. I have been told I don't need a license if the state I live in allows NR property owners to hunt their land without a license. I have called both states and can't get a straight answer from them.

If you don't reside on the property as your primary address then you have to buy a license

Clay Showalter

Guilford County
If you don't reside on the property as your primary address then you have to buy a license

Ok so I decided to try again and give both of the states a call. ODNR said if a NR can hunt in North Carolina on their own land without a license then I can hunt here on my own land, North Carolina says a NR can hunt in their own land without a license. I was advised to print out all the sections that show this from both states and have a copy of the deed.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Ok so I decided to try again and give both of the states a call. ODNR said if a NR can hunt in North Carolina on their own land without a license then I can hunt here on my own land, North Carolina says a NR can hunt in their own land without a license. I was advised to print out all the sections that show this from both states and have a copy of the deed.

Wow, did not know that.... Kind of surprised Ohio would actually go for that since it benefits the landowner.... Good deal....

Clay Showalter

Guilford County
For those who have issues believing things here are the relevant sections of the rules for each state.

Ohio

North Carolina

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dang if that don't remind me of a regulations question we had over waterfowl this weekend. Good tie in to the "education" we've been talking about around here lately.

reo

N.E. Ohio
The draw system would make sense for public ground and IMO would improve the hunting experience for residents and non that hunt it.
Lots of NRs have big $$ tied up in property, owned or leased that a draw system could put the screws to by locking them out of hunting their own land.