Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Redclouds Journal

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
every apple tree around here is loaded, wish it was only one or two. it will spread the deer out with all the acorns starting to drop.

Our acorn crop sucks again this year. I would have thought with all the spring rains we would be covered with them but that is not the case. The only thing I can count on is the ag fields for early season and those apple trees early season. After the apples are gone and crops harvested it will be a hard hunt.

Was going to go pull my cam and get the card out of the upper pasture today but not sure if I will get time to do that or not. Might have to wait till tomorrow...Heck with it, I am going to go do a quick in out mission lmao.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
A little let down is an understatement on the 2 week soak of the cam in the woods. All I got was a couple doe and a few fawns with a small buck.

I like knowing the fawns are there but wasn't what I wanted to see on the cam. I think the buck trail has moved back here with the flooding we had this spring and then some blowdowns I am sure from a storm early summer. Will have to adjust or at least keep an eye on this as the antlers start to shed and the bucks change their routes a little from what they are now.

PICT0519_zps75c8a070.jpg

PICT0007_zps547d0a06.jpg

PICT0231_zps37d80b07.jpg

The only good buck I have on cam right now is one that showed up on my upper cam. I think this might be BIG 8 that added a droptine this year.

PICT0115_zps397f0854.jpg

PICT0112_zpsa12667d32_zpsa5e6a801.jpg

Left this cam running and hope to get more and better pics of this buck soon.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
so he was headed down the hill at 11:40 pm and came back up three hours later.

I'm guessing he isn't bedding back there.

I figure he spent some time eating on those apples, got a drink, and laid down and took a quick nap and chew some cud. Head back up the hill to the beans and then back to the woods and corn for the day.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
For some reason they are staying up north in that corn and woods and staying on the top ground and not working the bottom like they have done for the past 3 years. I'm not sure but think they are coming out of the corn to eat beans after dark and then head to the apples and finally to get a drink out of the river. Turn around and head right back from where they came from.

Why they are not using that river bottom is beyond me.

Guess I could set that blind up where that ladder stand was in that corner up north.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
every apple tree around here is loaded, wish it was only one or two. it will spread the deer out with all the acorns starting to drop.

No joke. We found one this year we never knew about. Then found about 10 more scattered down a 3/4 mile pvt road. Lol. Good to know for years where it's hit or miss. But this year they're all loaded to the hilt.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's a great looking buck Adam! Love them drops! Just know this, the patterns will change several times before the season opener anyway so don't let the river bottom inactivity gnaw at you too much.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That's a great looking buck Adam! Love them drops! Just know this, the patterns will change several times before the season opener anyway so don't let the river bottom inactivity gnaw at you too much.

You sir are correct. They will change very soon. I figure once the velvet comes off it will change and they might start using the bottom again. This year it seems to be more overgrown then years past and that is from the flooding during the spring. By the time the water went down they had already set their paths for the spring and summer leaving that bottom to grow and grow it did. When I set that cam I knew next time I was in there I was going to need to take the machete back and do a little bush whacking. I spent over an hour of cutting to get a decent trail in and out of the stand. Still need to block off a couple of the further trails so it forces them to use the closer trails to my stand.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I hope that droptine sticks around but we will soon find out when that velvet comes off.