Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rape Seed plot

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Good to know buckcrazy. Thanks!

Well its been a little over 3 weeks and the seed is 2"-3" tall. Walking it I have seen no sign of grazing from critters, large or small.
I have spent some time sitting at one end or the other w/ the 17 or AR but there have been no targets of opportunity.

9 24 15 a.jpg

9 24 15 c.jpg

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Tallest is now as tall as a 12 oz. bottle of Lipton raspberry tea.

bottle.jpg

I had the first sign of something doing a little taste.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
UPDATE:

Well last season the Rape hardly attracted much more that a nibble here and there. It went in pretty late. This year it has come back strong on its own and is flowering quite well.
As of today its pushing 3 ft.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
We've tried a few varieties or rape and had the best luck with 'Bonar Forage' rape. It gets about thigh high tall and has HUGE leaves. During late muzzy season the deer would be concentrated in it vs. the standing corn next to it. They would eventually make it to the corn, but spent their time in the rape first.
Are you planning on leaving the plot the way it is for this season? I'm not sure, but assume it will be past its prime. We try to target late July for planting rape.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
We've tried a few varieties or rape and had the best luck with 'Bonar Forage' rape. It gets about thigh high tall and has HUGE leaves. During late muzzy season the deer would be concentrated in it vs. the standing corn next to it. They would eventually make it to the corn, but spent their time in the rape first.
Are you planning on leaving the plot the way it is for this season? I'm not sure, but assume it will be past its prime. We try to target late July for planting rape.

Thanks for the feed back.
I will probably leave it alone this year. Over the last 20ish years I have tried nearly everything in general. They didn't care much for it last year.