Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Propane prices

Kaiser878

ohio
Bought our new house this past June. 2700 sq ft cabin. It has an electric furnace for heat. Their electric bills were 5-700 a month in the winter. I said no way jose. I bought a firechief indoor wood furnace. I wanted a brunks. But they no longer make stoves. But firechief copied the stove. I researched for a month. Lifetime warranty on grates. So I spent 2200 in stove. Best investment yet.

Doug, stove is in basement and plugged into duct work. There is no smell of smoke in the house at all. Guests have no idea we heat with wood

Shoulder Blade

Natural gas here, 2600 sqft with 2 story cathedral middle section, insulated but no wrap.

Last month was 204.00

We have a programmable thermostat that goes down 6 degrees during the day.

I also have a lopi revere fireplace insert. It was the best way i could get supplemental heat in my house w/o a ton of fireplace demolition. It does reduce my gas bill over 50% but it is annoying to monitor 24/7.

Now i need to clean the chimney before i burn again but im not doing it and am too lazy to call someone.

Bumping the thermostat is much too easy.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Bought our new house this past June. 2700 sq ft cabin. It has an electric furnace for heat. Their electric bills were 5-700 a month in the winter. I said no way jose. I bought a firechief indoor wood furnace. I wanted a brunks. But they no longer make stoves. But firechief copied the stove. I researched for a month. Lifetime warranty on grates. So I spent 2200 in stove. Best investment yet.

Doug, stove is in basement and plugged into duct work. There is no smell of smoke in the house at all. Guests have no idea we heat with wood

Take a picture next time your down and text it to me. I would like to see your setup

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just figured out my electric bill for 2013 for tax purposes.

100% electric home.

$ 1,941.19

or $ 161.77 a month.

I'm feeling pretty good right now considering I could have been a propane user.

Pretty good. Now get this.
I got married in 1964 and remolded a old farm house and installed electric baseboard heaters in each room. Each room had a thermostat. I did blow insulation full in the outside walls and ceiling.
We was on a even billing program of only 19.00 per month for total electric house with heaters, dryer, and water heater.
We never paid the 12th month billing as we were always paid ahead.
Times have changed somewhat.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
my homes all electric and i have a wood burner. it keeps my house between 72 to 78 depending how i have it burning. the past few cold snaps ive burnt alot of wood because the wind blows right thru the house ill be putting in new windows in spring. my parents heat with wood too and there house stays about the same temp as mine. they came home one day and there propane tank was gone they called the company and they told them they took it because they didnt use enough for them to have one of there tanks ut there. all the were using it for was cooking on the stove. so dad went to tsc and got a small tank from them costs like 80 bucks to fill up and it lasts them 6 months.last week he went to fill it and they told them they couldnt because of the shortage.

Buckmaster

Portage
Buckmaster must have a very efficient house.

Keep in mind my house is one year old there Phillip.
It has all the modern day insulation, wraps, and efficiencies such as geothermal heat pump, tankless H20, flourescent lighting, etc.
That was my plan from the get-go. I hate paying utility bills so I only have one, Electric. I tried to talk Curran into a similar plan for his new pad.

Someday, I'll go solar if electric gets too expensive. If I spend $ 30k for solar, I'll get 33% back as tax credit next year (before 2016). So for about $ 20k I can add solar and probably go off grid...perhaps get a monthly check from Ohio Edison for the electricity I generate and add back into the grid. That's my master plan for the long run.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The geothermal heat pump is the big kicker. Were I to build new I would do the same thing AND use my outdoor boiler. Pretty safe bet I will never build new though and we don't have enough room on our property to put in a geothermal heat pump. If you plan on being there 30 years or more that is definitely the way to go. Good for you Benjamin.

Kaiser878

ohio
Here is the unit and how I have the duct work hooked into the hot air intake. There is a one way damper just where it goes into the house duct work. so when I run my a/c it doesnt back fee into my burner. Also if I ever want to run my regular furnace
uploadfromtaptalk1391101031425.jpg
Here is a photo of the cold air intake. I was going to plum it into the cold air duct for the house. but then I noticed where all the cold air registers were upstairs and it wouldnt have benefited me at all. Plus this way with the filter any smoke I let out when I put wood in gets sucked back into the furnace by the fan and filtered then circulated throguh the house
uploadfromtaptalk1391101056479.jpg
Here is the front. Just your basic wood burning furnace. THey are very well made
uploadfromtaptalk1391101075767.jpg

Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
we don't have enough room on our property to put in a geothermal heat pump. If you plan on being there 30 years or more that is definitely the way to go.

Phil,
It's a 7-8 year breakeven point on my initial investment.
And since I ran five 150 foot vertical wells my footprint is only 20' x 20' in my backyard. You have the room my friend.
BM

Attachments

• 4 Geo Wells.jpg
    4 Geo Wells.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Geo Drill Truck.jpg
    Geo Drill Truck.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
That's exactly what I was going to say Phil. You got plenty of room, the biggest ting is make sure they don't undersize you loops or wells. Once there in the isn't much you can do to change them, and you can only get so much btu per loop.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A friend put his geothermal in over 25 yrs. ago in the old trench type. He loves it.

I feel very lucky right now. I live in a 1300 sq ft ranch home with a full basement. House was built in 1954 and I've lived here since 1992. Had vinyl siding put on in 94 and all new windows in 2002. Keep the thermostat at 71 in the daytime and 66 at night. I heat strictly with natural gas I just paid my gas bill for the last 32 days, a whopping $126. I'd love to not live in town, but the utility prices here are very low. My dad heats with fuel oil and it runs him $7-800 a month to heat his place.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Propane level at the new place is at 14% today. I called for a fill and they said that it needed a leak test since I was transferring service. Minimum 2 week wait for a leak test. One of their drivers just went by the house to fill a neighbor while I was on the phone with the lady. You'd think they could make an exception... or at least have the driver check things out. Fuck no. Has to be a different guy doing the test. So I watched as the truck went past...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Phil,
It's a 7-8 year breakeven point on my initial investment.
And since I ran five 150 foot vertical wells my footprint is only 20' x 20' in my backyard. You have the room my friend.
BM

I don't know. Lots of parking area on our acre and a third plus a house and 2 out buildings. Well and septic take up room. Electric runs out to the shop. Line is dug out to our boiler. Natural gas comes in the front. In the middle of the back yard is a tile cutting thru our property and all the neighbors to the creek. Honestly not much room. The other issue is the pay back. I will have been paid back on our boiler by the end of next year. I don't want to start again. Plus. . . . there is a little glimmer of hope in my eyes of owning that "dream property". Hate to drop $20-30k and find the opportunity to move in a few years come up.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I got 2 propane tanks at my place..1 for my house and another for my farm buildings...2 days ago the farmers that lease my buildings had ordered propane to be delivered to the farm tank...funny thing is the driver screwed up and filled the tank at my house instead! LMAO....the best thing is that they had the propane contracted out at $2.40 per gallon, and the going price over here right now is $4.44 per gallon....WIN!