Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Popup Ground Blinds...

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
20230104_095600.jpg

Sitting behind the workshop still since mid-November, which means it's been through two major storms while in place, one wind storm of sustand winds of excess of 45mph, and of course the most recent, which was the artic blast over the Christmas holiday. I just looked it over real good, it's currently pouring out rain, and it does not leak, no tears, still tight, no complaints!

(The blind was steaked on all 4 sides, all windows open, except for the screens, they remained closed all times, corner windows open only 1/2 way, and the door zipped closed the entire time until I just checked it, and it worked fine. My Alps Outdoorz chair is inside in the middle, and the seat is dry.)

Both my blinds have been out since prior to gun week. The newest one, which is what I shared in the first post on this thread, is setup @theotherfarm, ready for muzzy.

The one above is the original that I purchased in 2018, the 'Big Mike'. Between the two, i like the newer one better, and I'm thinking about buying another because that's how much I like the blind. It's slightly smaller I think, I love the window layout for vertical bow and rifle on all sides, and it weights nothing really, easy to repack, so, for a portable blind, I think I lucked out with this latest pick for the money. Very happy with it so far. We'll see how it works after the rest of the hunting season.

Attachments

• 20230104_115952.jpg
    20230104_115952.jpg
    661.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Fletch

Supporting Member
Ok... Was ready to order, but after reading more reviews, a lot of them were negative concerning stitching where you could see daylight... That means it's gotta leak when it rains... So back to the drawing board...

Reactions: Big_Holla

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Ok... Was ready to order, but after reading more reviews, a lot of them were negative concerning stitching where you could see daylight... That means it's gotta leak when it rains... So back to the drawing board...
Good luck finding one that doesnt. I think they all will at some point. I would second Baronet blinds.

Reactions: Fletch

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
The only daylight with both blinds that I've ever recall seeing inside the blind, would be any time the blind gets somewhat damaged/scratched badly. but what I have actually seen, is light coming through the big zippers, and of course whatever windows that I choose to open. The camo screens work great for all kinds of hunting. I do not see where the slightest amount of light coming into the blind would be a show stopper, but a leaking roof or sides would.

None of my blinds leak currently, The older one did get slightly damaged I think the first year I used it, but I easily repaired it, which it was located on the roof of it caused from one of the thorn trees at the Deer Creek state park, which if you were to ever experience them, you'd completely understand, because those unforgiving thorns are a 'MF". They got my bow too, which popped my string. Anyhow, none of my blinds have leaked during rain and snow. Last year, I hunted in the old blind all through muzzy season, and there's thread around here if you need a recap. The weather was absolutely brutal and I had no problems whatsoever with the old blind, which is the one you see in the photo above.

Thought I share as much of my experience with the blinds that I have and have been using regularly since 201i9. I hope you get somethin out of this, Rich?

Good luck mister!!

Stressless

Keene, OH
Been very happy with the Primos Double Bull - took many turkey over the years and my first deer hunt in one last season which worked.

I nicked it with a Bullhead two years ago and this year zapped it with a half a slug, slight tear, with the only shot at a deer. Been using 8 years and it still works great. Other then the two mistakes I caused and fixed with camo duck tape it works perfect. Bought a new "Barronett Big Cat 350 Ground Blind" it was crap and sent it back after setting it up once. Back to Primos.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I am also a big baronett fan. I have owned almost all of them on the market at a time or two.... but baronett is only ones now. You do need a buddy or other type heater for the really bad days. (Enter house blowing up jokes here....) Another MUST HAVE for your blind is a PVC pipe in 1 1/4" cut a little bigger than your blind height (3/4-1"). This with a small square of wood (on the ground) will keep blind from collapsing with snow build-up. You can always dig some dirt out....but cannot make pole longer if cut too short.

Reactions: Fletch and Wildlife

Fletch

Supporting Member
I am also a big baronett fan. I have owned almost all of them on the market at a time or two.... but baronett is only ones now. You do need a buddy or other type heater for the really bad days. (Enter house blowing up jokes here....) Another MUST HAVE for your blind is a PVC pipe in 1 1/4" cut a little bigger than your blind height (3/4-1"). This with a small square of wood (on the ground) will keep blind from collapsing with snow build-up. You can always dig some dirt out....but cannot make pole longer if cut too short.
Thanks Rick.... Kinda input I'm looking for... Actually since you mentioned house blowing up.... I saw a propane bottle laying along the road the other day,,, guess who I thought of...:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: xbowguy

Johnny44

I have an Ameristep Doghouse (I think). It's the one that folds down on itself. When you open it, it pops up itself. I am posting because the original quest said ease of use... I ratchet strap mine to my chair and sling it on my back to hunt public land. It has lasted me many years although it is seeing some wear. It was like $65. I am not sure how it would last if left in the elements but I have seen plenty of deer (Notice I didn't say shoot but that's my fault) from it and would buy again.

Smawgunner2

Athens County
Thanks to all the people that responded... Might pull the trigger on this one today... Any thoughts???
I’d watch Camofire…the have this blind on every once in a while I believe.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Thanks Rick.... Kinda input I'm looking for... Actually since you mentioned house blowing up.... I saw a propane bottle laying along the road the other day,,, guess who I thought of...:ROFLMAO:
Also; We make a couple J hooks out of copper wire. screwed them into PVC brace and hung our packs and stuff on it... :cool:

Fletch

Supporting Member
Also; We make a couple J hooks out of copper wire. screwed them into PVC brace and hung our packs and stuff on it... :cool:
Rick.... Sounds like you have it down to a science.... Flat screen tv with a dish

Fletch

Supporting Member
No...but phone chargers get taken on occasion. I've taken many women and children to the blinds. Keep them occupied with phone or games and they hunt longer.
Whoa..... What's this many women stuff ??? You do know your on TOO and that's headed straight for the gutter... So how many women are many??? You sly old devil...:eek:

• Haha
Reactions: Wildlife

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Barronett Blinds PR300BT Prowler 300 Tall Pop-Up Portable Hunting Blind, Woodland Camo, Multi https://a.co/d/35OuVXD

Mornin, Rich!

I cared to share this 📸 for you to show yesterday's sunset 🌇 hitting the back of my newest pop-up ground blind.

The blind has been in place ever since or just prior to 'gun week' back in November. Since then, there were two major storms that came through. One was a thunderstorm front that pressed through with very strong sustained winds of an excess of 45mph for hours, and the other was the more recent during the Christmas 🎄 holiday break and we received that unbearable artic vortex blast from the northpole.

So yesterday, I noticed since I hunted out the blind all day, that the blind did sustain some very minor cosmetic scratches from most likely some hail & freezing rain and/or possibly from small tree 🌳 limb debris flying into it, but other than that, I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever with my latest pop-up ground blind purchase.

Facing towards the door 🚪 of the blind, which is due west and the sun was setting for the day.
I hang my bibs inside the blind nowadays because of my new buddy heater, which is another must have. Can't believe I went years/decades without one.
You can see where whatever debris hit and caused some very minor scratches, but absolutely NO🕳 holes to be found anywhere and the blind does not leak at all when it rains.

20230107_164356.jpg

Hope you find what you're lookin for, and good luck mister!

Attachments

• 20230109_094339.jpg
    20230109_094339.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230108_091837.jpg
    20230108_091837.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230107_151444.jpg
    20230107_151444.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230109_081457.jpg
    20230109_081457.jpg