Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

OS 2010/2011 contest

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
but the bs and newbies were getting to be too much.

Hate to say it though, but TOO could use a few newbies. Having some new guys come in and ask some questions would liven things up and give TOO a chance to gain some momentum.

We wanted a place to talk about hunting, but most of the members are experienced enough that they dont have many questions anymore.

By the way, I'm in the TOO contest, I nominate flutman to run it, since it was his idea, and I think the last place finisher should be the handy giver.

just sayin.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hate to say it though, but TOO could use a few newbies. Having some new guys come in and ask some questions would liven things up and give TOO a chance to gain some momentum.

We wanted a place to talk about hunting, but most of the members are experienced enough that they dont have many questions anymore.

By the way, I'm in the TOO contest, I nominate flutman to run it, since it was his idea, and I think the last place finisher should be the handy giver.

just sayin.

I agree. Thise Newbs usually find OS by searching for something on Google etc.. So they find a thread and sign up.

It takes time and content to do that.. The google spider gets on here as a guest and reads the threads, puts them in google etc so people can find them. OS Is a giant when it comes to that.. Eventually however we will get new members from the internet. But it has to get out there first.. Fell free to invite anyone you want though..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sucks to hear this about 45. I agree that he, 56 and fred are good guys.. Didn't he accidentally delete the thread last year also? .. Trust me guys it's easier than you think.. Remember Milos thread about arrows here. It was like one of the first.. Fugg if i know what happened but that sucker came up missing.. I looked through the logs and couldn't figure it out.. But it was as gone as gone gets.

As far as a deer contest goes. I don't have the time to do it personally with the other things i need to do here. But if someone would like to take point on that. Go for it. :)

Matt

Norton, OH
I got JMMyers on here, he is a complete noob to hunting, as is his cousin Dan who we should be getting signed up here soon. Just need them noobs to start asking fuckin' questions! Plus, I am by no means an expert, I know I will have questions from time to time.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
The only problem I see with having a TOO contest is the lack of participators. It would be like 5 teams of 2-3 people. Just sayin.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree. I think for this year we should just keep a running tally of the kills we make.

Works for me Matt. I am ready to do some killin'. It has been one of those days. Bring on the meat!

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I also agree with the comments on 45 and 56. I drank a beer with 45 at his place on Indian Lake this spring and he is a good dude. I hate that he has to go through this with his brother. However, I am kinda glad he deleted it. I will not be signing up again either. I've pretty much bailed on the squirrel contest too. I'm to the point I want nothing to do with that cesspool...

I agree. I think for this year we should just keep a running tally of the kills we make.

I think that is the best approach for the year. I'll offer this up however: $25 gift certificate the largest grossing TOO buck done on the honor system and a $25 gift certificate to the heaviest dressed doe, also on the honor system. I'll make a thread for each.

Last edited:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I also agree with the comments on 45 and 56. I drank a beer with 45 at his place on Indian Lake this spring and he is a good dude. I hate that he has to go through this with his brother. However, I am kinda glad he deleted it. I will not be signing up again either. I've pretty much bailed on the squirrel contest too. I'm to the point I want nothing to do with that cesspool...

I think that is the best approach for the year. I'll offer this up however: $25 gift certificate the largest grossing TOO buck done on the honor system and a $25 gift certificate to the heaviest dressed doe, also on the honor system. I'll make a thread for each.

That sounds like a good idea!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
We should make up our own team after the contest starts called TOO GOOD, and post pics of all the dandy bucks killed from the members on TOO.com.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great idea Greg! Heck we could even call the thread "TOO good TOO be true!" Since "leaving" that sight, any posts I make with the word "to" or "two" I make sure to spell out "too" even though it is grammatically incorrect. :smiley_bril:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro

just sayin.

I agree with Dante. I've given this alot of thought over the last month, wondering about the direction this site will ultimately take and thinking about "giving back" to the hunting community. If this post hijacks, so be it.

OS was the first online forum I've ever participated in...so as a new hunter I was also learning about forum participation. I really invested a lot of time and energy reading threads and looking up references and studying about deer hunting. I asked a lot of questions and tried to make them good ones. I've had to learn on my own, leaning on y'all and the others who were helpful on OS...and I can honestly say that after one and a half seasons I feel like I can "hold my own" with a knowledge base that outstrips a lot of casual hunters that have been at it longer than I have. Not trying to sound arrogant, it's just that I've really worked at it and humbled myself and listened and studied.

Now that being said, I'm very grateful to those who've helped me learn and shared their knowledge along the way, and feel like I (we all) should pay it forward. I hope this site develops a culture that is friendly to new hunters needing to learn (and have no buddies or experienced mentors). I would like to see the Mentor portion of the site turn into a "Whitetail University" where the collective knowledge and experience of this group could be gathered in reference fashion to refer those newbies to; so they could read the answers for themselves in a sticky thread, then maybe expand on it or ask for clarification of what it is they don't understand. We gotta figure out how to school the noobs in a helpful, non-condescending fashion while avoiding the burnout of answering the same friggin question for the 87th piss-me-off time.

I know this can't happen overnite, and will require the participation of many members - Jesse and Jacko can't carry the whole load. Especially now, with opening day 11 days away.
But that's what I wanted to say, thanks for listening.
And thanks to all for sharing - I've learned alot from you since 2008 and still learning (like it or not).
And I wanna be on Swantucky's team, so I can redeem myself to him from my dismal performance last year.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I agree with Dante. I've given this alot of thought over the last month, wondering about the direction this site will ultimately take and thinking about "giving back" to the hunting community. If this post hijacks, so be it.

OS was the first online forum I've ever participated in...so as a new hunter I was also learning about forum participation. I really invested a lot of time and energy reading threads and looking up references and studying about deer hunting. I asked a lot of questions and tried to make them good ones. I've had to learn on my own, leaning on y'all and the others who were helpful on OS...and I can honestly say that after one and a half seasons I feel like I can "hold my own" with a knowledge base that outstrips a lot of casual hunters that have been at it longer than I have. Not trying to sound arrogant, it's just that I've really worked at it and humbled myself and listened and studied.

Now that being said, I'm very grateful to those who've helped me learn and shared their knowledge along the way, and feel like I (we all) should pay it forward. I hope this site develops a culture that is friendly to new hunters needing to learn (and have no buddies or experienced mentors). I would like to see the Mentor portion of the site turn into a "Whitetail University" where the collective knowledge and experience of this group could be gathered in reference fashion to refer those newbies to; so they could read the answers for themselves in a sticky thread, then maybe expand on it or ask for clarification of what it is they don't understand. We gotta figure out how to school the noobs in a helpful, non-condescending fashion while avoiding the burnout of answering the same friggin question for the 87th piss-me-off time.

I know this can't happen overnite, and will require the participation of many members - Jesse and Jacko can't carry the whole load. Especially now, with opening day 11 days away.
But that's what I wanted to say, thanks for listening.
And thanks to all for sharing - I've learned alot from you since 2008 and still learning (like it or not).
And I wanna be on Swantucky's team, so I can redeem myself to him from my dismal performance last year.

I know what you mean bud. That's exactly the way we would like to see it happen.. Right now we're all having fun playing grab ass and busting balls. That will always continue amongst friends on here. It's a very important part to the cameradarey. We have seen what happens when friends can't be friends and they are censored in an effort to pander to the new people..

But we also hope to make this the premier Ohio Outdoor knowledge forum.. Right now the site is still in it's infancy.. All you guys are more seasoned hunters and versed in online forums. Therefor it's more like deer camp. We can accomplish that seasoned membership base by inviting friends like all you guys.. But we have no control over when newhunter01 decides to sign up and ask a question... As the site grows and becomes more popular online, new people will begin to find it.. Then we can lead them to water.. But that takes content, and search engines showing our site to new people searching Google.

That is why content is so important. The more content, them more odds are our thread will show up in a search when someone asks google a question.. Then that may prompt the to sign up.. So far we have 386 Threads 386 and 5,971 Posts. That's a hell of a good start! And we than all of you for that.. :) In time we will be found..

Sure we pick on people posting goofy questions on OS.. But those are usually the cream of the crop window lickers. I hope we all make newbs feel welcome and answer their questions. Like you said, the mentor section could be a library of knowledge that would be highly recommended reading for new people.