Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio trout fishing

Blackcat86

NW Ohio
WARNING: Two round rant follows:

To paraphrase some unknown realist: A government big enough to give all that you want is big enough to take all that you have.

(Think Seinfeld TV episodes with the Soup Nazi.)
Me: Gimme trout!
ODOW: No! No! No trout for you!

Full disclosure: my kids, their kids, lots of our friends, and yours truly have netted literally hundreds of these released trout over the years. SWMBO and I eat them every week. They're good for you. Our medics tell us to eat them twice a week. (That's kind of scary in itself. Ha!)

Now, it's not my intention to put a damper on people who fish for having fun. Hopefully, these people are in the company of their family and/or friends. That's pretty much what I think it should be about. (The good part of living a long life is filling up your memory vault with the excitement, laughter, and smiles of your family and friends.) And, the stated motive behind ODOW's trout release program is increasing fishery participation. We're talking about lots of smiley faces.

ODOW decided this year that the waters here in Williams County won't get any Catchable Rainbow Trout (CRT, really?). ODOW claims to have made some "adjustments" as to where these fish will be released in order to accomplish its stated mission: To conserve and improve fish and wildlife resources and their habitats for sustainable use and appreciation by all. [emphesis mine]

I take issue with ODOW's CRT release as it pertains to its stated mission.

With regard to ODOW's mission of sustainable use, I read that the chosen species (CRT) is not even a native trout to Ohio. That would make its propagation a resource consumer; i.e., people, property, time, and money. And not just a little bit! CRT are the Division’s most expensive stocking program, with fish costing $5 each to produce and extensive fish transportation for stocking. Ouch! I'm confident smarter people than me have worked it all out wherein consuming mega-resources to attract people to fish for a non-native species is more resource-effective than simply reducing fishing license fees. Does anyone notice how much fishing participation increases on Free Fishing Weekends?

With regard to ODOW's mission to achieve appreciation by all, it misses the mark, well, markedly. Declaring that the release of CRT in the 70-some Ohio lakes and ponds is "close to home," is literally a reach. Personally, my closest chance at CRT in previous years here in Williams County was 8.6 miles away and now they are 48.1 miles and two counties away. (I know, "But, who is counting?") So, participants wanting to take advantage of this "fish in a barrel opportunity" is, dare I say it, not really appreciated by all. In fact, it's markedly unequal. In a land of equal opportunity, I would think that the ODOW would be a little more sensitive to prioritizing one segment of Ohio's population (the CCC strip) over another. I'm also confident that smarter people than me have worked it all out wherein consuming mega-resources to attract prioritized people to fish for a non-native species is more resource-effective than simply hyping the infamous bluegill, one of the most common species in Ohio [that] can be found in almost every body of water throughout the state. Maybe that's just crazy talk.

I readily admit that catching CRT close to home was fun; still is for the chosen ones, I'm sure. It was all artificial, expensive, and unequal; still is.

Our tax dollars grew the ODOW big enough to give us CRT and blatantly big enough to take them all away, at least 39.5 miles away from me. Ha!

Wiley E Coyote

Caught my limit this morning 😋
KIMG3172.JPG

Here in Allen County the DNR stocked 2 different lakes, now only 1. Thing is, rainbow trout are cold water and running water type fish. Therefore, a deep lake or running stream would be the most likely habitat for a rainbow trout. 🤔 It seems silly and a huge waste of time and money to put these fish in a lake that's barely 12 feet deep. 🙄
If they're going to go to the trouble of raising fish, why not crappies? Something that would thrive in the same environment and is native to the state's waters. 👍

Left field

I asked them when they showed up he said putting them where more people can fish and alot of the lakes if you didn’t have a boat didn’t have much of a chance to catch them

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We used to get a small treble hook, one that the egg would’ve covered the barbs and make it almost weedless. Put the egg on the hook, tie the hook on and fish away…. That’s when I was stationed in Arkansas and fishing the red river and streams in the mountains.

Reactions: Left field

Fletch

Supporting Member
I gotta get out on a trout stream here in Jersey soon... We have some nice streams that get stocked every week ... Different streams are stocked on different days so you can always fish a freshly stocked stream....

Reactions: Left field

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Try Berkeley power bait….yellow with glitter. Put on a small hook and a small split shot abaout 12” from the hook.put the power bait on the hook like you would some bread for carp. The power bait floats so it keeps it off of the bottom. It works here in Jersey and in upstate Pennsylvania. Also Berkeley mount tails work well. I will go out in the garage, take pics of my setup and post pics later on how to put the hook on the mouse tails.