Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio leases

Buckkillr

Athens
Somehow I got on this land lease list and get these once in awhile. Are people actually paying these prices, seems damn expensive

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201223-065032~2.png
    Screenshot_20201223-065032~2.png
    254.5 KB · Views: 207

Stressless

Keene, OH
$40/acre is about going price. I asked the landowner behind me if I could lease his 100, Amish hunt it and kill everything, said I'd beat their price no matter what. Amish still killin everything money's in my pocket....

Lands only worth what someone is willing to pay and receive.

Reactions: OO2

Fletch

Supporting Member
Just mailed out some letters looking for a lease for next year, if I don't buy a small piece somewhere... If anyone knows of anything please let me know...

Stressless

Keene, OH
The thing is to buy that 100 acres would be about $400,000-$500,000 now based on where its at and access. No structures or utilities, very rural. (I've looked it up) then the yearly costs taxes, yearly timber management plan, there's no AG so to reduce the tax burden CAUV is the key program.

100 acres
$4,000 to lease

or

$1,000 + yearly taxes
$time and effort or pay someone to do yearly maintenance/timber management

Not a 'wash' but a lease you can get into for a bite outta your billfold and walk away from.

Purchase is a rung many can't and won't be able to reach for a hobby a couple weeks a year.

Even if I can hunt the way I want to for another 20 years- not likely, thats $80,000 vs $400,000 purchase which I couldn't do anyway.

Depends on what your goals, means and methods allow.

I haven't looked but there has to be a formula of sorts out on the infoshpere that does a better job than I did explaining the lease/purchase COA's.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Fletch

Supporting Member
Gotta weigh the advantages and disadvantages between leasing and buying... Being a non resident a lease is way cheaper in the long run when you consider how many days you will actually use property... On the other hand as an investment, if you can get a nice piece of land that has not been timbered and mineral rights transfer, at a good price it would be worth it... But ever time I pull up a piece they want a shit load of money for something that is tree tops and no mineral rights...

Buckkillr

Athens
Just mailed out some letters looking for a lease for next year, if I don't buy a small piece somewhere... If anyone knows of anything please let me know...
This is the guy that does all those leases. He usually has a big list of properties at the start of the year

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201224-065101~2.png
    Screenshot_20201224-065101~2.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 118