Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio deer population

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I guess the potential is there for it but you'll really never know of the extent of it.... Most hunters aren't trophy hunting when it comes right down too it, they may say they're holding out but in reality once it starts getting cold and the long hours get too them them they'll settle and pull the trigger on a non target deer .... I'm guilty of it and did it this year due too no deer sightings....
Too get a true picture of it you'd have too do a harvest survey and hope everyone was completely honest..... And we all know how that'd work out.....

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I agree J....and with the tag system like it is now...how many dudes are killing a buck that has "ground shrinkage", putting a temp tag on it until it gets to the barn, then cutting it up and throwing the tag away? Same with does...I would like to think it is happening more now than with the previous system of going to a check station...just a guess though.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Do you guys think that the craze for "trophy bucks" in the last 10 years has anything to do with lower deer kill numbers? The popularity of killing bigger bucks has increased a ton over the last dozen years or so, for many reasons. Not everybody is going to kill a wallhanger every year, are there a large enough number of guys statewide that are eating tags because of not killing their target bucks? Would that even have an impact on things? Just thinking out loud here...

Another thing I am thinking of, just in the area I hunt, I know one guy that wounded 4 different deer this year, 2 of them being supposed 150 class animals...and there have been numerous other guys wound nice bucks this year that didn't recover them that I know of...from what I have seen the OPPORTUNITY is there, some guys just have a hard time cashing in on it and closing the deal. I would hate to guess how many dead bucks are laying in the woods around Ohio dead right now...come shed hunting season I am betting I will find a few.

I'm sure the game of waiting on a big buck plays into the numbers a little as far as the antlered numbers go but I also think that only affects the early season. By the time gun season comes around there are a lot of guys that are done waiting for that ONE buck. With the discounted doe tags and the ability to use multiple tags still allows those hunters waiting for that wallhanger to harvest does. There should be no effect on doe harvest numbers other then hunters starting to see less deer and leaving the doe alone or more properties overall have less deer. I also think the properties with good deer populations are becoming more pocketed areas and with permission getting harder and harder to hold on to each year it also plays a role in the numbers.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I know a lot of guys that just hunt bucks and don't shoot does, in fact I would say better than 70 percent of the guys I know around here don't shoot does. The problem I see is the other 30 percent of guys that think it is OK to shoot 3 or 4 does.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I agree J....and with the tag system like it is now...how many dudes are killing a buck that has "ground shrinkage", putting a temp tag on it until it gets to the barn, then cutting it up and throwing the tag away? Same with does...I would like to think it is happening more now than with the previous system of going to a check station...just a guess though.

I'm sure it happens more then we think. Given the fact your allowing hunters to print tags at home on just plain printer paper where that hunter can then turn around scan and print multiple copies. That hunter takes a tag out and kills a deer and places the temp tag and makes it all the way home without being checked by that ONE game warden in the county. Hunter takes tag and tosses it in the trash and walks in the house and grabs another copy of the temp tag he made and BAM! fresh start to go back and do it all over again. I hear all the time "dishonest hunters will always be dishonest" and that is true however, it has created more dishonest hunters to go along with the previous dishonest hunters IMO

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I know a lot of guys that just hunt bucks and don't shoot does, in fact I would say better than 70 percent of the guys I know around here don't shoot does. The problem I see is the other 30 percent of guys that think it is OK to shoot 3 or 4 does.

How have your guys deer numbers been? I just don't see how large numbers on a given property is even possible in most of those counties up your way. Once those crop fields come off those deer have to disperse out so thin to find good secure cover it isn't funny.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
How have your guys deer numbers been? I just don't see how large numbers on a given property is even possible in most of those counties up your way. Once those crop fields come off those deer have to disperse out so thin to find good secure cover it isn't funny.

Deer numbers have been pretty good in my immediate area. Bucks are targeted pretty hard, but it seems there are a good number of does around. We have so much open country that those does just sit in the middle of open sections and they are pretty safe for the most part. Once the snow comes, they head for the woods, but there aren't a lot of guys hunting just for does. I could take the kids out and fill doe tags without too much trouble if we really wanted to...it might take a few hunts, but it could be done.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Deer numbers have been pretty good in my immediate area. Bucks are targeted pretty hard, but it seems there are a good number of does around. We have so much open country that those does just sit in the middle of open sections and they are pretty safe for the most part. Once the snow comes, they head for the woods, but there aren't a lot of guys hunting just for does. I could take the kids out and fill doe tags without too much trouble if we really wanted to...it might take a few hunts, but it could be done.

Makes sense to me as well since they can see for a good mile all around them lol. I use to drive 281 from 25 all the way to County Rd.11 over to Z and into Florida and I have to say, it was the most bored I have ever been while driving lol. Been around a lot of the area around Napoleon, Malinta, and Defiance. Changed routes a little once the wife's grandma ended up at the retirement home in Napoleon by the fairgrounds and water tower. We started taking 75 and cutting across on 6 and cut over on O to 108 coming in by the river.

Last edited:
The printable and easily copied tags are what gets me. Someone can make a couple copies and if no one stops in before they get it cut up then there you go. With the cost of your tags down there I am surprised that you don't get a permanent tag that you punch out date of kill, buck or doe, points etc.. Heck if they want you to register it then you can still have to call it in and get a permanent tag number to complete it. Just one huge loophole that perhaps was created on purpose, especially if their goal is to knock the shit out of the deer herd.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Makes sense to me as well since they can see for a good mile all around them lol. I use to drive 281 from 25 all the way to County Rd.11 over to Z and into Florida and I have to say, it was the most bored I have ever been while driving lol. Been around a lot of the area around Napoleon, Malinta, and Defiance. Changed routes a little once the wife's grandma ended up at the retirement home in Napoleon by the fairgrounds and water tower. We started taking 75 and cutting across on 6 and cut over on O to 108 coming in by the river.
Just south of 281 is my stomping grounds where I grew up and still hunt a bit during muzzleloader. My nephews and Brother still hunt all around there. It is a 3 deer county now. What a joke. IMO, it should be a 1 deer county except along the river. They base the population off the urban zone on the northern river boundary, but yet guys are decimating the Does in the open woodlot areas where it just cant last very long. The average weekend warrior who basically gun hunts just doesn't know any better

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Just south of 281 is my stomping grounds where I grew up and still hunt a bit during muzzleloader. My nephews and Brother still hunt all around there. It is a 3 deer county now. What a joke. IMO, it should be a 1 deer county except along the river. They base the population off the urban zone on the northern river boundary, but yet guys are decimating the Does in the open woodlot areas where it just cant last very long. The average weekend warrior who basically gun hunts just doesn't know any better

Same shit on the straight side of the river

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Haha. Im starting to learn the spots on the straight side now too. I've found less douchebags over there, so I know Im not moving in close to your areas yet:smiley_crocodile:

lmao maumee deerz.jpg

Look at these "city" deerz!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Isn't it just amazing that a simple request from stellheadtracker for info resulted in 275 posts. And not one post was deleted due to censorship. I don't believe this could have happened on any other forum and TOO can be very proud. I guess it's just simple if you don't like it just leave it.
Keep up the good work TOO land.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The deer were really moving this morning! I saw a small doe limp across the road in front of me on my way in to work this morning! First deer I've seen in awhile!