Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

OFBF and PCRs

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Hmm, will have to look and see what calibers come in lever actions. .44 was my first thought but maybe something different. I want a good rifle/revolver combo. .357 would be my second inclination but would seem a bit under powered. I reload so oddball is cool with me. Hmm....

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Hmm, will have to look and see what calibers come in lever actions. .44 was my first thought but maybe something different. I want a good rifle/revolver combo. .357 would be my second inclination but would seem a bit under powered. I reload so oddball is cool with me. Hmm....

Dad had 357 maximum and that thing would smack a deer. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Lundy

Dad had 357 maximum and that thing would smack a deer. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

That is the caliber that I have been looking at for a couple of weeks now.

What gun did your dad have the was converted to 357 maximum, or was his a handgun?

Thanks

Beentown said:
Hmm, will have to look and see what calibers come in lever actions. .44 was my first thought but maybe something different. I want a good rifle/revolver combo. .357 would be my second inclination but would seem a bit under powered.
Beentown,
You'll be on a long waiting list, if you end up wanting a .357 caliber. The Cowboy Action sport has put that caliber in extremely high demand. I purchased a Henry Big Boy, in .357 Mag., about 4 years ago and had to wait for over 2 months. I can only imagine how long you'd wait today. Plus, the price tag has increased with the demand.

Reloading will get you the accuracy and the barrel length will give you the speed. There's approx. a 500 f.p.s. increase over handgun ballistics.

If I were to order another lever-action, I'd go with the .44 Mag. and it would probably be a Rossi. Rossi offers more choices in octagon or round barrels, more barrel lengths and finishes...like case hardened, brass or blued receivers, all blued or all stainless rifles.
http://www.rossiusa.com/product-list.cfm?name=Lever Action Rifles&page=1

Bowhunter57

Last edited:

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Ruger makes a 77/357 and a 77/44 that would make a awesome compact deer gun!!! Plus the guys that are ruger fans like myself would have a nice gun to match there super blackhawk or redhawk!!! TOO bad they didn't still make the 44 semi auto that looked like the 10/22. That would be another great deer gun!!!!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
That is the caliber that I have been looking at for a couple of weeks now.

What gun did your dad have the was converted to 357 maximum, or was his a handgun?

Thanks
it was on a TC contender.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I will be picking up a 44 mag in something. The thing I'd you will still need to be able to limit to three rounds just like your shotty.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I will be picking up a 44 mag in something. The thing I'd you will still need to be able to limit to three rounds just like your shotty.

It seems the 3 round has been the major hang up the last 3-5 yrs. with the State officials.
I'm a fan of bigger is better in deer hinting calibers and 44 mag. would be my 1st choice.
The 1st year Ohio started handgun deer hunting our group of 8-10 hunters that always went to SE Ohio decided that no 357 Mag hunters would be allowed to hunt with us. 6 of us used 44 Mag. and one 41 Mag. We never lost a deer.

Oh I know a 357 mag is OK in the hands of a experienced hunter that picks the shot placement. But deer hunting is not a perfect world out there when your in a area when you may only get one shot at a deer due to lack of deer or lack of time to hunt for the entire season. The group of guys I hunted with were all Professional Management or owned their own business and couldn't or wouldn't hunt all week due to time.

A 45 Long Colt would be OK for a reloader to boost the speed up. Factory 45LC are about 900 FPS about the same speed as 44 Special round. Or limit their shots to 50-75 yds. Beyong that the bullet is dropping straight down hill.
Rifle longer barrels does raise the speed 400-500 FPS but that still doesn't make any pistol round a long range sporting deer round.
Getting back to bigger is better. I'm a firm believer in heavy solid bullets. That's the reason I designed the 310 gr. lead bullet in 44 mag. for Lee Precision. I want a solid complete pass through bullet with a large meplat (nose) frontal area. Hit hard and no stopping. Anyway 2 holes bleed better than one hole and us bow hunters already know that.
I never fell into the BS thought of the bullet stopping inside the deer to deliver all the bullet energy inside the deer. Just think about if a bullet stops there is no energy. Again just IMHO
IMHO.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ruger makes a 77/357 and a 77/44 that would make a awesome compact deer gun!!! Plus the guys that are ruger fans like myself would have a nice gun to match there super blackhawk or redhawk!!! TOO bad they didn't still make the 44 semi auto that looked like the 10/22. That would be another great deer gun!!!!

The Ruger auto and lever action rifles are always on Gunboker for around 575-600 range. I've used the Ruger 44 Mag. auto for 25 plus yrs. for crop control permits and it's a great compact rifle. I still have a rifle and would use it again when legal. With my 310 gr. solid bullets I've taken Texas heart shots (asshole) and had complete pass through end to end.

Lundy

MK111,

I am not considering a 357 magnum, I am looking seriously at a 357 maximum with a 180 gr bullet around 2000-2100 FPS

Although it is nice that the gun could shoot both 38 special and 357 mag also (not to hunt deer with) for her to practice shooting. The more she shoots the better I will feel

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
MK111,

I am not considering a 357 magnum, I am looking seriously at a 357 maximum with a 180 gr bullet around 2000-2100 FPS

Although it is nice that the gun could shoot both 38 special and 357 mag also (not to hunt deer with) for her to practice shooting. The more she shoots the better I will feel

A heavy bullet in a 357 Max at top speed would be a good deer round. As long as we can agree to disagree we are good here.
Here I go again. If I was to use the 357 max it would be only with a 180 gr solid lead bullet. I designed a 180 gr. lead bullet for Lee Precision 20 yrs. ago but I got sick and never put it into production. I have one test mold and it shoots great. With a large meplat (nose) it would be a great killer. It looks the same as the Lee 44 caliber 310 gr. bullet except just .357 diameter.
I come from the old school of handgun hunting 25 plus years ago and at that time jacketed bullets were not dependable. Some would expand OK and then some would blowup on hitting bone or even shoulder meat. Over 20 yrs. ago I had a Hornaday 45-70 bullet blowup on impact on a deer chest area at 25 yds. You could have stuck your hand into the chest area and the heart was totally disconnected from all veins.
I will say I have heard handgun jacket bullets are more dependable now. But I don't need them as the solid lead has proven 100% dependable over the years with 23 deer taken.

Now I have tried a soft lead cast bullet with a custom 5 sided hollow point in 45LC. I took a nice doe at 15 yds. and the damage done was great. I suspect it expanded well and had complete pass through.
Seeing the result I had the same style of hollow point bullet design made for the 44 Mag. It's 285 grs and the mold came with 2 nose punches so I can cast a 5 sided hollow point or a standard flat point. I'll cast is soft. No real need for it but I like to experiment.

If you do go with the 357 Max. let me know and I'll send you some lead 180 gr. bullets if you want to use them.

Last edited: