Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

North Dakota 2012 Recap (pic HEAVY)

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Great stuff Jim!! I was looking forward to hearing all about the trip once you got back. Glad to hear you guys had a great time. There is just something special about NoDak. You can't really describe it to somebody who hasn't been there, but to those who've made the trip they understand. It's hunting, the way hunting is meant to be.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great stuff Jim!! I was looking forward to hearing all about the trip once you got back. Glad to hear you guys had a great time. There is just something special about NoDak. You can't really describe it to somebody who hasn't been there, but to those who've made the trip they understand. It's hunting, the way hunting is meant to be.

That's it... EXACTLY! There certainly is nothing else like it. And I am forever spoiled on NoDak duck hunting... Duck hunting in Ohio will just never be the same.

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
Nodak=Hunt almost any damn property you want anywhere,anytime,,and no written permission needed unless posted and very little posted property!!!!!!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nodak=Hunt almost any damn property you want anywhere,anytime,,and no written permission needed unless posted and very little posted property!!!!!!!!

Actually I noticed quite a few posted properties in the area we hunted, however the farmer we stayed with was very helpful in gaining permission on some of these properties. He owned a bunch himself, too. And of course there is always great public or PLOTS ground nearby. One thing that might have affected the property postings was that deer rifle season started on the day we left. It seemed like quite a few properties were being posted last-minute specifically for deer season.

There's definitely no difficulty in finding great property to hunt out there, though. I may have to start looking for jobs out there... lol

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Not my thing, but looked like a great time JB.

That's because you haven't done it, or at least ND style...

JB, you did it just right. Take a trip, come back home. ND is not for the faint of heart... The duck hunting sure is fun, but you can keep the rest. The deer are fairly average sized out there too. I think the difference is the truly big deer push 300lbs field dressed compared to 220ish here. But the one big 160 we shot out there was only a tad over 200. Most of the does I saw looked to be your average 100lbs.

FYI, one of their stupid rules, that use to be anyway, was you could never keep more than your one day limit, in your possession. So basically as a NR, you had to eat your ducks every night, or give them away. Legally.....

I'm glad you had a great trip, and would honestly probably go back in a case like you did. Don't let a great week of duck hunting fool you into thinking its a great place to live though lol!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's because you haven't done it, or at least ND style...

JB, you did it just right. Take a trip, come back home. ND is not for the faint of heart... The duck hunting sure is fun, but you can keep the rest. The deer are fairly average sized out there too. I think the difference is the truly big deer push 300lbs field dressed compared to 220ish here. But the one big 160 we shot out there was only a tad over 200. Most of the does I saw looked to be your average 100lbs.

FYI, one of their stupid rules, that use to be anyway, was you could never keep more than your one day limit, in your possession. So basically as a NR, you had to eat your ducks every night, or give them away. Legally.....

I'm glad you had a great trip, and would honestly probably go back in a case like you did. Don't let a great week of duck hunting fool you into thinking its a great place to live though lol!

It probably changed since you were out there... because now it's 2x the daily limit for possession, just like Ohio. With 7 guys, we didn't have any problems getting rid of duck meat. lol We ate 15 ducks in one evening alone. We also made a few batches of jerky, which if I'm not mistaken, once processed the meat shouldn't count towards the possession limit. I could be wrong though.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
It's quite possible, because I know I read at one time you couldn't pack your animal out, that it had to be brought out whole. It was a major concern for me as I was hunting a ways back from any road and didn't have a deer cart at the time, not to mention it was up a brutal hill in any direction. I no longer see the rule anywhere after I mentioned it on AT.

Whats funny is you should go sign up on nodak.com if you haven't already. Those fools on there HATE NR duck hunters lol!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It's quite possible, because I know I read at one time you couldn't pack your animal out, that it had to be brought out whole. It was a major concern for me as I was hunting a ways back from any road and didn't have a deer cart at the time, not to mention it was up a brutal hill in any direction. I no longer see the rule anywhere after I mentioned it on AT.

Whats funny is you should go sign up on nodak.com if you haven't already. Those fools on there HATE NR duck hunters lol!

Ha! I already did... and I noticed the same thing too! What's really funny is that I saw virtually no other duck hunters while I was out there... and the ones I did see were also a group of NR's. Why are the locals so hostile when they don't even hunt the ducks themselves?!?! lmao

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
Ha! I already did... and I noticed the same thing too! What's really funny is that I saw virtually no other duck hunters while I was out there... and the ones I did see were also a group of NR's. Why are the locals so hostile when they don't even hunt the ducks themselves?!?! lmao

Thats is funny JB we ran into a couple local hunters who was nice too us and tried to help us,,, and ran into some hunters from Ohio,they ended up screwing up one of our hunts!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Thats is funny JB we ran into a couple local hunters who was nice too us and tried to help us,,, and ran into some hunters from Ohio,they ended up screwing up one of our hunts!

Ding, ding , ding!!! Winner. :smiley_champ:

Our worst hunt that week was ruined by some other "Buckeyes" coming in after we were setting up in the field, then they still went in and hunted the friggin' roost right next to the field!!!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Well that looks like a great adventure!
Just an excellent story and great picts!
Also great use of the Bushnell :smiley_bril:

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
They do hunt ducks, trust me. The best spots you find, will typically be off limits. Sometimes not, just because people are generally nicer out there. And they hate NR's because most of them are pigs, who care nothing for what they don't own, and are puddle jumpers, running around to every puddle they can find throughout the day and jump shooting the ducks. ND is a very popular state to hunt ducks, so much so that you have to wait two weeks so the residents get first dibs, and many guys are just flat worthless F'n slobs...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Buddy of mine put together some video of our last morning's hunt out in NoDak last fall. He filmed everything with a GoPro mounted on his head I think. Sorry for the blurriness... youtube seems to have killed the resolution. GoPro's are HD so it should have turned out better IMO.

[video=youtube;PK7XBa2cyj4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PK7XBa2cyj4[/video]

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice! What was your average shot distance? Hard to tell from the GoPro.... only reason I ask is I'm planning on getting one.

The shots were MUCH closer than what they appear in that video. Also, most of the birds were finishing in front of me and I was sitting over on the left side of the spread. I'd say average shot distance was only 20-25 yds that day... some less. That GoPro footage is shitty because youtube compressed it so badly. I don't really understand it. I think my buddy might have done something wrong while editing and/or uploading. I've seen some extremely clear GoPro footage on youtube from other users. Another thing... The GoPro will let you set it up to film with a 2x or higher zoom, some in certain circumstances that may be of benefit. Don't base your decision on whether to buy one or not on that video. IMO they are definitely worth the money.