Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New property

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Lots of good advice here! I like Jesses suggestion and set up some observation stands. I'd also keep knocking on doors in this area and try to secure more land so you can have several more places for you both can hunt. Good luck!

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I printed out a large aerial view today, going to try and get a hold of some of the surrounding owners, if anything at least for deer recovery permission

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Dustin, I'm with Chad on this one, all my attention goes right to the small field in the center. If you are parking by the house you could enter the south field right where the tornado meets the tree line. Follow the field edge to the south east corner of the small field. At this point you are not only in a great observation point, but you are covering two inside corners. I put some money on this being a hot spot, especially during the rut.

The only other thing that I'm curious about is the distance of the small field from corner to corner going north to south?

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
20160425_212534.jpg

Here's a close-up of the center field. The red dot indicates a lock on I cleverly have in place. This is the mouth of the tornado. This is where I have pictures of does like crazy. I'd say it's 350 ft x 100 ft.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I wouldn't hunt the small field stand until late October either. You'll have bucks running those fingers to scent check that field for does.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree with Big slam Chad. Don't hunt that hang on until the last week in October (at the earliest). Don't hunt it on the wrong wind. Don't hunt it too often. This WILL be difficult to avoid. Looks killer. Got to let those does stay comfortable and unpressured until the rut is kicking off. Just my opinion.

IF the land owner wanders all over the property or trespassers do. . . I'd say most of what I posted is null and void. That works (sometimes) in unpressured areas.

Something else I was thinking today: some properties have it and some dont. They may all have similar habitat, food, water, similar pressure, but for whatever reason Property A always outperforms Property B. I don't have a clue as to why. I have 3 similar properties within 2-3 miles of each other. They do not all hold good bucks. I don't understand it. For your sake and Moonlab: I hope this property has the "it" factor.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I have a feeling the PO will be out in that field quite a bit. Last time I was out there we found shot gun shells and wads. He has a clay launch in his back yard, which is close to the fields as shown in the original picture. Ill talk to him about it, but I cant stop him from doing what he wants. He used to hunt, so he knows a little about all the work it takes and the circumstances.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
View attachment 43797

Here's a close-up of the center field. The red dot indicates a lock on I cleverly have in place. This is the mouth of the tornado. This is where I have pictures of does like crazy. I'd say it's 350 ft x 100 ft.

I looked at this from higher up on Google and this is the "X" on this property IMO. That's the best travel corridor running E/W along the whole road. Exception being a corn planting adjacent to the big woods N of here on the other side of the road. I like how this field provides seclusion, lots of edge and it's well positioned within that funnel. That lock on is in the right general area. May take some tweaking for access and/or cover, but you're on the right track here.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I ran into the PO at Lowes last night. He was telling me that the 2 large fields are cut twice a year for hay. First is June, he couldn't remember the 2nd cut. Does this help or hurt us?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I ran into the PO at Lowes last night. He was telling me that the 2 large fields are cut twice a year for hay. First is June, he couldn't remember the 2nd cut. Does this help or hurt us?
Won't hurt you at all. The main farm I hunt is mainly alfalfa and is cut a few times every year. The deer will continue to hammer that stuff as long as it stays green.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Usually the second cut (if they don't get a third cut) will be right around the beginning of the season if not long after it....