Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Got the line up narrowed down.

Strothers Infinity
Strothers SR 71
K&K Vindicator
K&K Vengance

I am leaning toward the Strothers. The only thing holding me back from getting the SR71 is the brace height. My bow is currently 6 5/8ths and the SR71 is 6 1/6th. I wonder if I am going to notice the difference much??? I would like to get this and put it up against Milos Infinity. It is a flame thrower and this one is supposed to be faster. 400 grain arrows over 320 FPS should be fun! I will probably get one in the near future...maybe this week.

After talking it over with Milo anyway. lol

If you have good form you wont notice the little difference in brace height. I have a 6 and 7 compound and i dont see a notice able difference other than the bows have different draw cycles. When i was looking a the sz71 and the infinity i like the infinity better.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I have no issues on the let down of my Z28. Now the dual cam system cranked down to 68lbs is a bit harsh to get used to. At 62lbs it was ok, when I cranked it up once I was used to it, it was a bit hard to enjoy drawing it. Shooting enough solves the problem though. I don't think I'll be testing the new bow waters for a few years. Ill probably just tune the Elite some more.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have no issues on the let down of my Z28. Now the dual cam system cranked down to 68lbs is a bit harsh to get used to. At 62lbs it was ok, when I cranked it up once I was used to it, it was a bit hard to enjoy drawing it. Shooting enough solves the problem though. I don't think I'll be testing the new bow waters for a few years. Ill probably just tune the Elite some more.

You can get a new Z28 for $400 right now. ;) I shot another Elite yesterday (GT 500) and it still wasn't my thing. Wanted it to be. Quality built bows for sure. Just can't see a reason for that let down cycle.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
All 4 bows are essentially the same. right now K&K are offering a conversion package from a Hybrid cam system to a binary cam system. Easier to tune for some is the reason. you can get them for a darn good price on their website or ebay.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Milo, I hung up my Infinity and dusted off my Switchback when I got serious about killing a couple of weeks ago...Just thought you'd find that funny. BTW, I do not agree with anyone that thinks Mathews is over-rated due to marketing. They are a solid bow that has earned a good reputation in my opinion. Though they gained their fame producing fast, smooth bows, speed isn't their greatest asset anymore. Other companies are chasing the speed lovers, but for a functional, dependable, and highly effectice bow, I just don't think you can beat 'em. I don't think I could have killed my buck this year with my Infinity, and is precisely why I dusted off my Mathews.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Can I ask why??Was it a certain characteristic your prefer over another?Very curious

Me TOO.

I have had a few bows and don't think one would make a kill "more likely" really. Unless we are talking my Black Bear compared to the LX. Then with that the only issue is speed. Which the Infinity has extra.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Me TOO.

I have had a few bows and don't think one would make a kill "more likely" really. Unless we are talking my Black Bear compared to the LX. Then with that the only issue is speed. Which the Infinity has extra.
Sure, its simple really.
On the target range ( as Milo will attest), my Infinity feels smooth, fast, and accurate as heck...really, its the only bow I've ever felt shoots better than I aim. However, one thing I have noticed when shooting at critters from a tree is that last little bit of the draw is a bear to complete. The cam snaps over really hard just before hitting the tiny valley and into the wall. I shot a coyote, doe, and turkey with it this season. After shooting each, it occurred to me that I was glad I wasn't trying to draw in a hurry...that last little break in the cam stops the fluid draw dead every time and I have to force myself to give just a little more effort to roll it over...and then I slam into the wall. Being a long-time bowhunter, I know hind sight is what it is, and I try to look far enough into the future to see what will likely happen if I don't fix an issue I can plainly see. So, I dusted off my Mathews (hunted with the Strother the last two seasons). The buck I shot came in from behind at a fast walk. I grabbed my bow, stood, turned and RIPPED it to full draw, and shot that deer as he hit my last opening @ 27 yards. I feel if I had been using the Infinity that morning, being in a hurry, trying to rip that bow to full draw, that last lil roll over in the cam would have likely caused issues (like jerking the arrow off the rest). I know for a fact, sometimes when hunting things happen fast and I am likely to make errors if my gear isn't idiot proof. Additionally, having to let down with that bow on a critter is a nightmare. Trying to be sneaky and smooth on a let down will get your shoulder ripped off...deer pick up on jerky movements much quicker than slow, smooth deliberate moves.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sure, its simple really.
On the target range ( as Milo will attest), my Infinity feels smooth, fast, and accurate as heck...really, its the only bow I've ever felt shoots better than I aim. However, one thing I have noticed when shooting at critters from a tree is that last little bit of the draw is a bear to complete. The cam snaps over really hard just before hitting the tiny valley and into the wall. I shot a coyote, doe, and turkey with it this season. After shooting each, it occurred to me that I was glad I wasn't trying to draw in a hurry...that last little break in the cam stops the fluid draw dead every time and I have to force myself to give just a little more effort to roll it over...and then I slam into the wall. Being a long-time bowhunter, I know hind sight is what it is, and I try to look far enough into the future to see what will likely happen if I don't fix an issue I can plainly see. So, I dusted off my Mathews (hunted with the Strother the last two seasons). The buck I shot came in from behind at a fast walk. I grabbed my bow, stood, turned and RIPPED it to full draw, and shot that deer as he hit my last opening @ 27 yards. I feel if I had been using the Infinity that morning, being in a hurry, trying to rip that bow to full draw, that last lil roll over in the cam would have likely caused issues (like jerking the arrow off the rest). I know for a fact, sometimes when hunting things happen fast and I am likely to make errors if my gear isn't idiot proof. Additionally, having to let down with that bow on a critter is a nightmare. Trying to be sneaky and smooth on a let down will get your shoulder ripped off...deer pick up on jerky movements much quicker than slow, smooth deliberate moves.

Makes perfect sense Brock. When I pull back the XT, it is smooth and fluid from start to finish and that is the biggest thing I love about my bow. I can pull 70 pounds back in a slow, controlled movement without needing to crank on it to get it to rollover. It is the one thing that has kept me in the XT for so long...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Jesse, that is what sold most people on Mathews years ago- smooth. I really wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of people want to go back to that kind of a draw cycle after a couple of years of fooling around with some of these wicked cams that are getting the speeds up so high. Really, I never paid any attention to the roll-over issues on the range. It never dawned on me until I shot a few critters with the bow what a pain in the tail it really was. Then, just the other day, I saw a show where a guy was drawing on a deer with a Strother. As they show the draw, it stops, just for a second, before reaching anchor. Not really all that noticeable, unless you are the guy trying to draw on a critter. I just like the smooth nature of Mathews, or any bow that draws similarly...And I was way late getting on the Mathews band wagon. Heck, I shot high poundage, high speed cams forever...just don't see me going back!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You will probably remember me being anti-Mathews back in my early OS days. I refused to contribute to the "country club" mentality that goes with most of the shops selling their line, as well as their marketing campaigns. That being said, when you get your hands on one and feel that draw in comparison to a Hoyt or Bowtech (the two main ones I shot prior to buying the XT) then it became a no-brainer to someone looking for "feel" over speed. IMHO opinion, no one has mastered the art of building "feel" in to a bow like Mathews...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well, I'm no "fan-boy" either. I just like top quality gear. IMO, Mathews bows and WC strings are two things that are worth their weight in gold.:smiley_crocodile:... Having said that, I have only owned one Mathews, and a buddy of mine sold it to me second-hand. I paid 350 for it, and was probably the best deal I have ever made on hunting crap...cept for the Strother, that was a good deal too.:smiley_clap:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The Infinity didn't feel bad to me :smiley_confused_vra I pull every bow at the same pace everytime. TOO me smooth pull = faster on target. I have shot a few that would be a problem with a major "hitch" in the draw cycle. Bowtech had a bow that felt like you were pulling a car over a speed bump. If you were to let off and hold 19.95% of the draw wieght it would take off, HARD! lol

I can kinda see where you are coming from though.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
As I mentioned Been, I didn't pay much attention to it either until I tried drawing on animals. Feels like a speedbump when your trying to get to the hospital. Heck, Milo test drove my bow before getting his. It seems pretty sweet on the target range. Not so much when it really matters.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I don't know man, my elite is smoove all the way back to the wall, no hump, no roll over, just one nice motion all the way back to a brick wall with them draw stops.