Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mr Heater Little Buddy

The way I look at it is that if it is cold enough to use one then I am using one. I don't think it will bother them. Lots of guys smoke up their clothing to cover their scent anyway. I have never used on in a ladderstand and I am not sure how that will work out as you are pretty tight on room. I have used them in a blind many of times.

Disclaimer. If you are using one in a confined space make sure you have adequate ventilation. People have died from CO poisoning from them. Usually not an issue as you have windows open. People have died though in little ice fishing enclosures from this.

Bowkills

Nw oh
The little buddy worked awsome to keep my daughter in the ground blind longer. I would recommend this product to everyone.....

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I’ve never had a problem w using the heaters. If anything I think it helps as your air in your blind is much warmer than outside and your or any scent from heater will rise and be out of their thermal.

As for CO, I don’t think it’s an issue since if your stand is totally closed it has a o2 sensor and will go out before it’s even a little out of the normal range of 20. I’ve read where hunters had all the windows closed and it would burn for a little time and turn it’s self off. Without it being lite the heat thermal coupling will not open to let propane out. Of course never ever only rely on the safety features as one can fail. Crack a window and you will be fine. I usually open the window that the wind is blowing into. If the others are closed not much air and enter as air has to get out. Any air/scent leaving will be from the top of the opening as it is much warmer air and blow over your stand.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
They also shut off in low oxygen situations or when tipped over. I love em. In an almost air tight blind this year I sat several hours at a time in miserable conditions in a sweatshirt. If I wanted I’d have been comfortable stripped down to my skivies.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
JMO But I would think the hot air would rise and take other smells with it. I have never had a deer bust me because of the heater. (That I remember) Been using them for about 10 yrs now.

I’ve never had a problem w using the heaters. If anything I think it helps as your air in your blind is much warmer than outside and your or any scent from heater will rise and be out of their thermal.

As for CO, I don’t think it’s an issue since if your stand is totally closed it has a o2 sensor and will go out before it’s even a little out of the normal range of 20. I’ve read where hunters had all the windows closed and it would burn for a little time and turn it’s self off. Without it being lite the heat thermal coupling will not open to let propane out. Of course never ever only rely on the safety features as one can fail. Crack a window and you will be fine. I usually open the window that the wind is blowing into. If the others are closed not much air and enter as air has to get out. Any air/scent leaving will be from the top of the opening as it is much warmer air and blow over your stand.

Loss of o2 isn’t as bad as buildup of CO. Most blinds aren’t air tight enough anyway to be concerned but something to keep in mind. CO has some bad affects on you if it doesn’t kill you. Like you said open a window and you are fine.

Buckkillr

Athens
I look as it as 1) use it and maybe, maybe not scare deer but at least your out and comfort or
2) freeze and your out of woods in an HR or not out at all.
Use it for sure