Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Monday - gun opener

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Make sure you show this to Crystal, Destiny, Hope, whatever her name is. lol (inside joke)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I leave you guys alone for just a couple hours and this is what happens lol. I guess we know who Huck is dating now don't we lmao.

I heard he is "happily dating" someone.

Enjoyed reading all this. Too bad our buddy the OP, Mike didn't have any luck. I chose to get the muzzle loader dialed in and scout for trespassers. Got both accomplished. Feeling pretty good with the TC Omega right now. Not feeling so good about the trespassers I caught.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Make sure you show this to Crystal, Destiny, Hope, whatever her name is. lol (inside joke)

I bought that at OhioSams farm this fall, now I know why I got it for 75% off. Damn it. I did just have 15 Turkey walk through my back yard a few minutes ago.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Sideways here as well. Say's it 50 degrees but I am not buying it. Heard it suppose to trun to snow. I did check in with the rig and looks like I will not be going back until the weekend so I hope to get a few more days out with Big Bro.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Another terrible day here also...I think the DNR will have a good excuse this year as to why the harvest numbers are low......

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Another terrible day here also...I think the DNR will have a good excuse this year as to why the harvest numbers are low......

Great. Now they can lie to us without having to lie to us...

I had an absolute blast yesterday and it felt damn good to be in the woods having fun. Tracie and I started the morning in a blind on Hippie Ridge. We saw a lone doe at 8AM and nothing after, but we shared some great laughs and enjoyed the hunt together. My uncle shot a decent 8 yesterday, so we went over at lunch to drag it out and do some drives. I was trying to locate my uncle and the deer and almost left the truck without a gun. I went back after it and while I was looking for them, I jumped 3 does who all gave me decent shots. Good thing I brought my gun! I elected not to shoot, but I'd have been pissed if I hadn't had the gun!!!

After we got the deer out, ate lunch, the rain had really picked up, so we headed back to the house. We decided to drive the thicket next to the house before we headed in and less than 40 yards from my driveway, I got a clean shot at 80 yards on a big doe. Stupid me didn't take my time and blew the shot, but the deer stopped again at 150 giving me another clear shot. Having shot the gun at 100, I held mid-chest and got a grand total of 6 white belly hairs! :smiley_crocodile: All told, there were 7 deer in the group and I learned the main weakness to the drive and how I can actually glass the thicket from the ridge and pick them out in their beds. It might work out tonight!

After my fine display of shooting (I've always been a better shot with a bow!) Jamie and I headed to the farm just to check in with the locals. We patrolled the open part of the farm glassing and enjoying a really shitty (weather wise) evening. It was beautiful watching the fog roll in to the bottoms and I felt a sense of accomplishment in braving the elements and taking in the hidden beauty of the day. I love battling the elements when I have a gun in my hand, whether it be in pursuit of waterfowl, rabbits, or deer. I missed carrying a gun afield and yesterday was a great reminder of why I love to hunt. Fun, fellowship, laughs, excitement, and being outdoors. It was a damn fine opener for me...

And one final thought: (Knock on wood...) I have never missed a deer with a bow with one exception (hit a hanging vine one year). I've missed more deer with a gun than I can count on both hands. I was a shitty shot growing up and am still not the best of gun shots. If I had missed two decent shots at deer with a bow yesterday, I'd be devastated. I missed the same deer twice and just laughed it off. Ah... no pressure! :smiley_clap: