Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

LIVE! From the Stand 2023-2024 Edition

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What a beautiful evening. No deer but gorgeous weather. Leaves are super dry and super noisy. Next to no wind. Tried some rattling about 20min ago. Nothing came running in but I've found sometimes they like to ease their way into it from downwind to check out what is going on. They aren't all scrappers but seems like many are curious. New set but I can see my stand 60-80yds away on the other side of this creek/pinch point. Amazing the swarms of bugs out tonight.

Stressless

Keene, OH
Been at it all week. Have my Niece in for the weekend to hunt. She's been helping this old man at the farm so she gets hunting privileges. New job kept her from getting Cliffs old bow and practice, so using the camp backup crossbow. Proud of her she passed up a med buck this AM at 20yds. She's hunted twice prior and taken one deer a basket 8. She wants to hold off for a mature buck or doe for the freeze

Nice.to get a new hunter engaged in the archery sport

Congratulations to the successful hunters, fun to follow along.
Screenshot_20231105-162044_Message+.jpg

56387.jpeg

Stressless

Keene, OH
20231105_185440.jpg

Got the text, she shot and felt it was good hit, thought it was a big doe.. bolt had good blood, no gut smear or oder.

Waited an hour and got on the track. Blood seemed less than I would expect from a solid hit, 150yds into the track blood was decent but not an increasing flow as the chest cavity fills. Thought about backing out but the bolt and blood to this point said it was dead - ahead. Oliva has GREAT eyes for blood, made a great team and taught her some blood trailing, marking, blood spatter direction and looking at wound level on trees etc...

Found where it started to stagger walking making leaves displaced etc.. found 'him' and was overjoyed at her success.
20231105_192647.jpg

Field dressing confirmed a double lung with a NAPP Spitfire Maxx and the buck ran 200+ yards.
IMG_1964.jpeg

Misidentified as a big doe in failing light but no worries here as she had an either sex tag and made a great shot. Big body small racked 2.5 yo I think just from the body. She's 5'11"

Couldn't be happier for her and the farm on a one day hunt.
IMG_1959.jpeg