Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lever action rifles

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
And speaking of Ralphie…
(*** semi spoiler )I’ve had the “part 2” to Christmas story. (A Christmas Story Christmas) I held off watching it thinking it would be like most part 2’s and be disappointing.

I was wrong. . .

The two key gut punches were a deep love for the first movie and loosing your Dad. Many of the original cast was included and the flash backs from Ralphie were great.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Someone say lever action? My BIL just bought these this week. Pre-1964 .32 SP on too, post 1964 (smoother action) .30-.30 on the bottom. $1,600 for both.

20221224_192415.jpg

20221224_192519.jpg

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Just because you’re big boned (yeah just called you fat) don’t mean you need the big boy…. 😳

@Dustinb80
You're gonna love it! 👍 I owned one and shot a doe with it.
It carried, handled and kicked like a youth model rifle. By that I mean, it was a pleasure to have in the woods. :) Low recoil, but it got the job done. Very easy to handle in the woods to swing and shoot. I used my mild reloads and it was very accurate and a pleasure to shoot all day. :cool:💯

On this day, I was in a tree stand, it started a light rain and I held my Henry close to keep it dry. I thought to myself, it's going to be quiet, I'll have to keep my head on a swivel or the deer will walk right by me. I immediately looked to my right as this doe was walking by. I shouldered my Henry 44 Mag, aimed behind the front leg and squeezed the trigger. She bucked and ran about 30 yards. 🎯
Henry doe.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Nice choice. Steel and side gate!

Pair it with this ammo and you'll have zero problems with deer and hogs.

Reactions: Dustinb80

Fletch

Supporting Member
Good Luck with your choice... Here's hoping you get a big one with it...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
If I was buying a new lever gun to hunt in ohio it would probably be a Henry. The new Ruger Marlins seem great I’d have a hard time justifying price over Henry. I however do share Joe’s issues with Henry co-opting the original company’s heritage (Winchester has a more legit claim)but not to the point of boycotting them.

I personally favor Winchesters but scoping them is an issue. Marlins are much better to scope so a pre-Remington Marlin would be high on my list. Remington Marlin are hit and miss but most are OK.

I really want one of the Uberti/Cimarron clones of a ‘66 or ‘73 just haven’t been able to justify the $$.

My only lever gun is a Winchester big bore 94 .375, I bought it before Ohio’s law changed so it was more reasonably priced than now.But I prefer to hunt with a scoped gun.

768FC739-3BDD-440E-8BC7-8838EB88FA6D.jpeg