Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Let's talk about RELOADING, particularly about TUMBLING

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
So I took my barrel and dropped a few in and wham, they looked perfect!

Then I thought - check 'em all to be safe.
38 of 150 failed the plunk test. Some went in all the way but didn't spin freely, were tight.
Two rounds had been flared out excessively and wouldn't even drop into the chamber.
The vast majority of bad rounds did not go in all the way, and were pretty consistent in how far they stuck out - they were swelled up at the base.
I'm thinking that at one point I may have moved the depth on the resizing die somehow.

Kinda disappointing that I messed up that many rounds - oh well, live 'n' learn.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
38 rounds messed up? You get to learn how to fix them and I bet you never make that mistake again. Doesn't sound all bad. Better than messing up a thousand. lol

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
So I took my barrel and dropped a few in and wham, they looked perfect!

Then I thought - check 'em all to be safe.
38 of 150 failed the plunk test. Some went in all the way but didn't spin freely, were tight.
Two rounds had been flared out excessively and wouldn't even drop into the chamber.
The vast majority of bad rounds did not go in all the way, and were pretty consistent in how far they stuck out - they were swelled up at the base.
I'm thinking that at one point I may have moved the depth on the resizing die somehow.

Kinda disappointing that I messed up that many rounds - oh well, live 'n' learn.

I am definitely glad you did the plunk test then before going out and being disappointed.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
RCBS must be busy -
When I bought my press, there was a rebate offer available. You had the choice between a $50 rebate or 500 bullets of your choice (if you paid the $14.95 S/H).
So the bullets seemed like the better deal...so I calls 'em to make sure they have 'em in stock and they say yeah boy, no problemo.
So on 4/11 I mails the check and just saw that it cleared on 5/1.
So if'n they still gotz em in stock, I should be seeing a package soon.....:smiley_coolpeace:

It kinda sux how we get used to instant gratification....ordering something online and having a shipping notice with a tracking number within 24 hrs, watching a packages progress as it's coming. Definite raising of the bar. Used to be we didn't know when we'd get something, and we had to wait for our monthly statement to see if a check had even cleared, and we'd watch the mail.

Truth is, I like instant gratification :smiley_coolpeace:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Frustrating at times, yet pretty nice at other times. The old instant gratification thing works pretty well until you don't get the bullets you ordered when you want them. lol

Hope they show up soon for you. I liked the text pictures I received earlier today though. Looks like you are doing pretty well killing time waiting on your order to show up!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Are you using the Lee factory crimp die? If not I highly recommend it. The Factory crimp die resizes the case after the bullet is loaded to bring the case size to a "high factory specs of loaded ammo".
Sorta sounds like your die adjustments are moving when you put the dies in and out. Another fine tip on die setup is to adjust the die with a loose lock ring. Run a case all the way in and when final adjustment is desired hold the handle down with a case in the die and then tighten the lock ring. The 7/8 course threads are sloppy and this way everything is bore lined up perfectly. You won't find this tip in a reloading manual. I got it from a benchrest shooter.
I always recommend a Lee 4 hole turret press. I install the 3-4 dies, adjust them and then they never move as only the die turret is removed as a unit. The Lee turret press can be used as a single stage press and load 40-50 per hour or use it as a semi-progressive press and load 200-300 per hour. The quality is the same regardless what some people think. I load on a Dillon 1050 and load 1000 rounds per hour and shoot sub 1 inch groups.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
The only thing I've reloaded so far is .40s&w using the 3-die set from RCBS...first die sizes/deprimes, then I load primer with hand tool, then the next dies opens the wall juuuuuust enough to take the bullet...then I fill 'em with powder then seat the bullet. If there's any crimping goin' on, it's that last die - :smiley_chinrub:

Being honest with myself, I think that a single stage press is all that I'll ever need (until I retire...might change my tune then). But I can definitely see myself getting hooked. This stuff is fascinating.

This weekend I bought 500 Vance lead bullets, 175gr SWC 40 s&W. (because I can't find a dang mold to make my own) Looked up the recommended loads for Universal Powder (4.7 - 5.4 if I remember right)
Then I made 10 bullets at 4.7, 10 @ 5.0, and 10 @ 5.4 - next time at the range we'll see what shoots best. That made me pretty happy.

I stopped at the gunshow at Hara this weekend and bought a .308 lee sizing die from Superior...he didn't have the mold I was looking for (neither did anyone else). Yer nephew was very helpful.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
So a quick update - I put some white high-density polyethylene (plastic sheet) on top of my bench as a work surface, and built an 8" deep shelf unit to hold my reloading gear and supplies - one end of the bench will be for reloading, the other end for cleaning and maintenance.

20130512_183445_zpsa91268c4.jpg

20130512_183429_zpsffc7402b.jpg

the shelf unit is 40" wide. On the top shelf I moved the back in a couple of inches to make a tray where I can store cleaning rods
20130512_183500_zps42add689.jpg

Here's the view from the other end - I put my tumbler on a different stand so that I can be tumbling while working at the bench without any vibration

20130512_183524_zps411011ba.jpg

Things have been going pretty well. 1) I tried 3 different powder loads with the Vance lead bullets for my 40 and found that the smallest load held the tightest group. 2) I got a package on Friday - it was the RCBS rebate - 500 Speer 155gr hollowpoints. So now I've got the components I need to make about a thousand rounds of .40s&w. (Still no luck on buying a mold to cast my own - and the mold I bought that showed in stock was actually backordered, so the search continues.)

I'm glad that I now have a workable bench area in the basement - that will make my wintertime cleaning sessions a lot more bearable than trying to stay warm in the garage. Still have a ways to go to make it exactly like I want it (need to come up with a drawer unit for storing tools and loose stuff.)

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like you are going in the right direction. Your 3rd die seats the bullet and should put a slight taper crimp on the case to remove the 2nd stage belling of the case neck.
Just remember that all cases will not be the same thickness even though they are the same caliber.
Check your case and see if you have mixed brands. If you do have mixed brass that can be some of your functioning problem.
That is the reason I always use the Lee factory crimp die as it resizes the case after the bullet is seated to what Lee calls "high factory size of loaded rounds".

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
So I was hot and heavy on the reloading thing, then had to lay off of it for a while to deal with some health related issues. Recently I've gotten active again, working up a load for my Ruger GP100 .357 pistol.

I had to re-acquaint myself, and then I remembered what's great about the reloading process.
For those of you who aren't involved in reloading, there are some concrete benefits of reloading that have been discussed at length, such as cost savings and increased accuracy. But the things that are most important to me are the intangibles.

Intangible #1: Ammunition independence. I can't tell you how comforting it is to have the capability to load my own rounds. Yeah, you need components, but those can be had and stocked.
Who knows when the next ammo shortage is going to happen? The last one sucked, bad.

Intangible #2: The satisfying experience: The learning, the following thru of steps, the rhythm you fall into while loading, pulling the lever on the press and watching the components rise then out comes a completed cartridge. The quiet, the focus....and then the satisfaction of the completed work.

If you don't reload and have been considering it - now's a good time to start. :smiley_coolpeace:

OO2

In the Uplands
Now that I have a .30-06 I am considering. Seems like working up my own loads could be very rewarding. Can more experienced guys comment on start up cost?

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I never saved any money doing it. Cheaper cost per round maybe but then I just shot a lot more.

It is a great hobby and I can spend many happy hours at a reloading bench.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Now that I have a .30-06 I am considering. Seems like working up my own loads could be very rewarding. Can more experienced guys comment on start up cost?

This is the Rockcrusher kit I started with. I think there are Lee kits a little cheaper
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/93...M1hS_HQCmUELV260jQecKkZ6dX6oZDFOvnRoChwXw_wcB

You'll need a die set for your caliber
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/520790/lee-pacesetter-3-die-set-30-06-springfield

You'll need brass - can be found cheaper at shows or other websites
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/318212/hornady-reloading-brass-30-06-springfield-box-of-50

You'll need bullets - same deal
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/45...-240-grain-weldcore-protected-point-box-of-50

You'll need a set of calipers if you don't already have them (less than $20 at harbor freight)

I bought a harbor freight tumbler to clean brass:
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html

Bullet puller for when you make mistakes
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/215517/frankford-arsenal-impact-bullet-puller

Then there are all kind of other things you'll buy - plastic cases, and extra shell holder set, blah blah blah

Like Joel said, you'll just end up shooting more.

I was at a pistol range the other day and overheard some know-it-all douche talking about "it costs $500 to get into reloading, that's ridiculous...I can buy and awful lot of ammo with $500!" And I'm thinking to myself, "yeah, and if you shoot your gun like you run your mouth, that $500 worth of ammo will be gone awful fast.."

I'll just say it again, it's not about the money, it's about the satisfaction.
But psychologically, I feel better about shooting a box of ammo I loaded than one I bought.
Especially if it's a box of .357 that's $25.

OOPS - I ALMOST FORGOT - you'll need powder ($25-$30 for a pound container) and primers

Yeah, it ain't cheap. It's about the satisfaction. But if you like to shoot and do it alot, you'll recover your initial investment and come out ahead in the long run. Plus be independent. And like Joel said - many happy hours spent.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Look at some of the reloading sites on FB as you can find brass and bullets for some decent deals as well... There's even a reloading barter page that you can trade stuff for what you want....