Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Land Owner

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Correct me if I'm wrong. I think if the deer crosses to a neighboring property, a license and tag are required to retrieve it. Retrieveing the deer is considered as "hunting". One must have written permission, a license and tag the deer with an over the counter tag.

If you enter a property with a weapon then yes, you would need a signed permission slip to do so as you would be considered HUNTING. If you know the deer is already dead and on his property and you enter without a weapon then it is not considered hunting and do not need a signed slip. All you would need is a verbal OK from that landowner to get your deer.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What if you own a business which owns land? What if the land is deeded in the name of the business? You are either sole proprietor, sole owner of an LLC, or heck even the President and 100% share holder of an incorporated business? YOU own it ultimately. Do you still get to land owner tag it?

If you enter a property with a weapon then yes, you would need a signed permission slip to do so as you would be considered HUNTING. If you know the deer is already dead and on his property and you enter without a weapon then it is not considered hunting and do not need a signed slip. All you would need is a verbal OK from that landowner to get your deer.

I know verbal permission is not good enough. A few years back my brother asked a landowner about retrieving deer from his property. The landowner gave the OK verbally. That very afternoon my brother hit a doe that ran on to the landowners property. The landowner videoed him dragging the deer out and called the GW. He was cited for trespassing and hunting without written permission.

I sent an email to the ODNR for a clarification of the law concerning retrieving a deer from a neighboring property and the use of landowner permits. Hopefully they will respond.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I know verbal permission is not good enough. A few years back my brother asked a landowner about retrieving deer from his property. The landowner gave the OK verbally. That very afternoon my brother hit a doe that ran on to the landowners property. The landowner videoed him dragging the deer out and called the GW. He was cited for trespassing and hunting without written permission.

I sent an email to the ODNR for a clarification of the law concerning retrieving a deer from a neighboring property and the use of landowner permits. Hopefully they will respond.

Was this 2 separate deer?

I don't think it's a good idea to ask for permission "in general". Just each and every individual time it happens.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Was this 2 separate deer?

I don't think it's a good idea to ask for permission "in general". Just each and every individual time it happens.

I am 99.9% certain most of us have similar situations. Verbal permission from a neighbor to retrieve only. As a courtesy, I personally attempt to contact neighboring land owners prior to season starting. IF I need to enter their property to retrieve or track I attempt to contact them. I just feel as if it is common courtesy to let them know when you are on their property. Seems like they are much more receptive this way.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I had killed a great 12 point that died next to an older guys house. Stopped to ask permission and he said that "if I had enough money for hunting tags/stuff that I could afford to buy meat" and he wouldn't allow me to retrieve the deer (I could see it from his porch). Called the game warden and he said without written permission I was sunk. He tried to talk the old bastard into it but no go. Looked for it the next day and it had disappeared mysteriously. Told the Warden and he didn't even pursue it.

Yeah, it is considered hunting at least by my old Warden....even without the weapon. "Retrieval is part of hunting activity"...his words.

That is exactly how I understand it to be. My question is more about proper tagging. Deer is hit on landowners property by landowner, but dies on neighboring property. Landowner tag or purchased tag, which is to be used. My thought is deer must be tagged where it lies. It lies on property that is not owned by the shooter. I still think legally the deer would need to be tagged with a purchased tag. Just another grey area in the laws from my research. I never got a response from the ODNR.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That is exactly how I understand it to be. My question is more about proper tagging. Deer is hit on landowners property by landowner, but dies on neighboring property. Landowner tag or purchased tag, which is to be used. My thought is deer must be tagged where it lies. It lies on property that is not owned by the shooter. I still think legally the deer would need to be tagged with a purchased tag. Just another grey area in the laws from my research. I never got a response from the ODNR.

As far as I know you would tag it with the landowner tag since that is where the killing shot was made. Now if the deer is not dead and your on another property when the final killing shot was given then yes, you would need a purchased tag to tag that deer because the killing shot was done on another property other then yours.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wouldnt this be the same question as what date to put on the tag if you shot it yesterday but found it today? Date of harvest? Umm, yesterday. Location of harvest? Well, my property. I think it would depend on the mood of the WO.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I had killed a great 12 point that died next to an older guys house. Stopped to ask permission and he said that "if I had enough money for hunting tags/stuff that I could afford to buy meat" and he wouldn't allow me to retrieve the deer (I could see it from his porch). Called the game warden and he said without written permission I was sunk. He tried to talk the old bastard into it but no go. Looked for it the next day and it had disappeared mysteriously. Told the Warden and he didn't even pursue it.

Yeah, it is considered hunting at least by my old Warden....even without the weapon. "Retrieval is part of hunting activity"...his words.

I would flip the fugg out!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I would flip the fugg out!

Had a similar issue coon hunting. The dog went on the neighbors place and treed in his back yard. The neighbor is a local dentist. He said we couldn't go get the dog and he was going to shoot it... The old man I hunt with said back to landowner. "Hold on and let me send this other one back there too, their both counterfeits. But before you do that, let me ask you something.... Have you ever see a big ole barn on fire?"" The guy glanced over at his big barn. "Go get your fuggin dog and don't come back around here"

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
As far as I know you would tag it with the landowner tag since that is where the killing shot was made. Now if the deer is not dead and your on another property when the final killing shot was given then yes, you would need a purchased tag to tag that deer because the killing shot was done on another property other then yours.

This is what I'm going with. I don't plan on buying a license or tags this year as I am hunting my own property exclusively. In the past, I've hunted my property and other property and always had a tag and license regardless, but I'm not purchasing them just in case the darn thing runs off my property before dying.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Gray area. Kind of like recovering deer at night. Sometimes you don't have the luxury of following up in the morning. A quicker recovery could be required because its too hot or you have a good coyote population. Technically you can't carry a weapon. What if you find the animal alive? Well. I can tell you I've been there. It wasn't something I'd want to have to do again. Since then the original shooter always has to brings his bow if I'm helping track at night.