Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

In-Season Scouting

CJR123080

I'd consider it likely that you never got additional pictures of those bucks because they were out cruising in early November. I don't see this as terribly unusual. I have a great pinch point that I hunt year in and year out. Very rarely will I get a picture or see the same buck twice. There's nothing attractive about the area, but it's an easy way for them to get from point A to point B to look for does.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
1 shed found out of 3 guys and it was a scrub.. Not one of us saw..jumped or heard any deer. We all covered at least a 3 to 4 mile loop.

Im not impressed with the deer herd on the peice of public i hunt. Since 2007, Ive seen a drastic decline in numbers of deer. Im fearing the publicland i hunt cant sustain itself. The amount of hunters is increasing..the allowable quotas are increasing and i fear it has taken its toll.

That was a pretty pathetic scouting trip. Im gonna have my work cut out for me next season. Krist almighty...i may have a better chance seeing more deer on Cheat mtn Wv at 5,000 feet up. damn. :(

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
i didn't know you were a ventriloquist. Sounded like you were throwing your voice to sound like Joe and Jesse. :smiley_crocodile:

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Well hicks...I'm not giving up just yet. I'm used to dealing with these conditions . The key is to be mobile and find other areas that are holding deer. However..on this Peice of public I've taken a 156"r and 145"r back in 07' and 08'. The deer herd has def. Been drastically reduced. I may have to.move on.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That is the problem. We HAD deer in every county, and seeing them was no longer an issue. Now, you have to really look for them. Call me lazy, but I liked seeing them by going to most any woods. Hope you can find another hole with deer in it.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Brock..

Ill find em..Its part of the fun. By next season..Ill be in the best spot i can find..but until then..it will be alot of hard work.

Headed back out in 3 weeks to a totaly different publicland. Ill keep jumpin from publicland to publicland until i find what i like.

But as sure as the turnin of the earth..A 140 plus will hit the dirt next season. :)

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
But as sure as the turnin of the earth..A 140 plus will hit the dirt next season.

I have zero doubts of this happening. I am sure a great many will fall. Question is: Will you be the one holding it? lol

I admire the fact you go out and find them. Nothing wrong with this. However, at some point when you continue to look and look and look at different public land locations and keep on finding the deer are not there. . . I think this is the reason many hunters are concerned right now. You keep looking and you CAN find the deer. However, how many guys will look for them to the level you do? How many of them will throw in the towel and look elsewhere? How many of them will start to pursue other interests? How many young hunters will not be introduced because their mentors do not want them to be disappointed? How far does the population need to drop and money coming into the state need to drop before the ODNR does something? These are the reasons I am seeing more and more upset hunters.

Good luck Mountaineer.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Don't feel bad Paul, I've walked about 11 miles so far on 5 different farms and only jumped 4 deer. I've found 3 sheds but deer are very scarce so far.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Fellows..

I am noticing lower deer numbers since 07'. This season may be intresting..It may be the end of my good luck..who knows.

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Fellows..

I am noticing lower deer numbers since 07'. This season may be intresting..It may be the end of my good luck..who knows.

You will be fine. From what I have noticed/discussed with others the bucks are still around...just A LOT less does and BB's.

That may change soon as every buck comes out of a doe.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Beeny..

yeah..you're right..it will soon catch up to us. I see Unsustainable conditions in the future. Once that happens..Ohio will become another PA.