Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I'm finally in the know

lung buster

hocking county
Going into this season Andrew and I had high hopes for him. Last year he had managed to harvest 3 deer with his muzzy at 6 years old. That was quite the accomplishment. He got a new crossbow for Christmas but along came muzzy season and he filled his last two tags before he got time to really try out his new bow.

This year he was really looking forward to getting his first shot with a bow plus he would have more opportunities to hunt and he would be able to go during the heat of the rut.

To say it's been tough around here this season is an understatement. There just isn't many deer left around here anymore. This was Andrews 17th sit this season and many of those had been without any sightings. Thats enough to make a seasoned vet get aggravated, but not Andrew. He never got down and would always say " maybe next time " or " dad, you just got to have faith ". I'm not going to lie, i was getting pretty bummed about how things were going. I knew how hard he had prepared and how bad he wanted a shot. Im so proud of his attitude!

Anybody that has ever taken a young kid hunting knows that you need every "break" that you can get to make it happen and we just couldn't catch one. It's very trying at times, but when it comes together, there is no better feeling that I've ever experienced in the woods!

I got of work on Tuesday at 3 and picked Andrew up at 3:30. This past weekend the deer were beating us in there and were in the plot already when we got to his spot. By the time we were settled in it was 4:20 and fortunately we didn't bumped anything.

I had hung some doe urine behind the blind on our way in. We were in a hurry and my thinking was i just wanted to get the smell in the air.

Around 4:50 we hear a deer coming. I look out the front window and his buck is standing 10 yds away with his nose in the air trying to find the "doe", or maybe the smoke, (more on that later). He was too close and there was no way Andrew could move to get on his crossbow.

Finally he walked on into the plot and started eating. Andrew was able to get on him and he hit him right behind the shoulder at 25 yds. The buck ran about 60 yds and we heard him crash! Whant an awesome night and an awesome deer for an awesome kid! I'm so proud of my boy! He earned this deer!

Last edited:

lung buster

hocking county

lung buster

hocking county
One final note to all you "smokers". I had bought a smoker and never used it for about a month. With hunting on the ground with Andrew i thought the 1st time we get busted, we will smoke up. We never seen enough deer to get busted during that time, lol. Then it got cold and there was no way i could expect Drew to do the crazy stuff that i do before a hunt, like getting a shower at 5 in the morning and getting dressed outside never letting my hunting clothes see the inside of our house, lol. So i gave in and started smoking our clothes. But i also kept my "good set" scent free for when i got to hunt alone. This past weekend i seen the light. There were deer in the plot when we walked in fri and we just sat back until they moved on. The wind was blowing right at them and they just did their thing. Then sat there was a heavy 8 pointer there and same results. He crossed the old drag road that we were laying on at 30 yds as we waited to get in the blind. The buck Andrew shot was 10 yd away when he first showed up. His nose was in the air. Was it the doe pee or the smoke? I don't know but the smoke didn't hurt. Im all in and even my "good clothes" are smoked now,lol.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congrats to Andrew on taking his first xbow buck! He's quite an accomplished deer hunter at such a young age! He's been mentored very well and for that I commend you and extend my congratulations TOO you as well.

He's got a great attitude and shows a lot of patience for such a young age! He's gonna be laying many a deer low in his hunting future.

Ricer2231

Andrew, YOU THE MAN!!!! Way to go young man and congrats to you TOO dad. I would rather see those youngsters get their deer. That keeps 'em coming back for more, not that that sounds like it would be a problem with Andrew. ;););)