Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

iks..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Well, I guess they don't all drop in sight lol. Was fun tracking him the 100-150 yards. I'm begining too not like the slick tricks. Damn things don't start bleeding until 50 yards after the hit. Did the same with that doe.

How do you not get blood out of holes like this. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416239936.025783.jpg

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
How do you not get blood out of holes like this. View attachment 26183

No idea man. The doe I shot didn't go 80 yards and piled up but there was no blood at the impact and didn't see blood for a good distance after the shot. The yote had blood at impact and then I had just small specks and didn't get good blood for probably 50 yards. After it started spilling I was able to follow it pretty good but that first 50 yards are a bitch.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Adam if you were hunting from the ground and not elevated say like shooting down hill the angle is more level and the blood will take longer too show up sometimes....

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Adam if you were hunting from the ground and not elevated say like shooting down hill the angle is more level and the blood will take longer too show up sometimes....

I'm sure that has something to do with it. Hitting mid height on the ribs straight through takes a little to fill up and pour out and they usually don't go much further after that. I will say though the ST for being as small BH does put some good size holes in um lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

If an animal is at a dead sprint after the shot it takes a ton of blood to lay down a heavier trail during that run. And that's a good point also about the angle.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
If an animal is at a dead sprint after the shot it takes a ton of blood to lay down a heavier trail during that run. And that's a good point also about the angle.

Never seen a critter run as fast after being shot as that yote did. Sucker spun on a dime and took off like a drag car launching off the line lol. I guess it wasn't all bad since I got to put my tracking skills to some use. Other then that doe I shot at Taylor's I haven't had to do much trailing in a few years. I think the last time I had to trail anything was with Dave on that buck a couple years ago.