Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

If I had the power

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
No matter what system is used a poucher is a poucher. No way around it and I also feel the present system helps out the poucher by no actual check in at a check in station.
I feel the on-line check in system was to cut cost to the state with no never mind to pouching.
I don't think it's going away. Hell I own my own farm and could shoot all the deer I wanted and take them to the barn and who would know. I can't and won't do it because of the love of the sport and some years I don't harvest a deer. But pouchers only want the thrill of the shoot and the meat or antlers.
But then you could stop all deer hunting and the pouching will stop. Ye right just like the anti-gun thinkers that if you take away all guns then there will be no shootings.
Frank

huntn2

Hudson, OH
No matter what system is used a poucher is a poucher. No way around it and I also feel the present system helps out the poucher by no actual check in at a check in station.
I feel the on-line check in system was to cut cost to the state with no never mind to pouching.
I don't think it's going away. Hell I own my own farm and could shoot all the deer I wanted and take them to the barn and who would know. I can't and won't do it because of the love of the sport and some years I don't harvest a deer. But pouchers only want the thrill of the shoot and the meat or antlers.
But then you could stop all deer hunting and the pouching will stop. Ye right just like the anti-gun thinkers that if you take away all guns then there will be no shootings.
Frank

I know Jesse and I will never agree on this and I am sure the same goes with others but tell me this:

Does the new system provide an avenue for a deer to be checked after a physical check station has closed for the night?

Say you hunt your own property and butcher your own deer in your garage/barn, I find it hard to believe one is more likely to load the deer in a truck to go to a check station vs log it via phone/email.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
When I got home with "OOPS" on Monday of gun season, the thought crossed my mind, briefly, that I had printed two copies of my tag. That deer was taken apart and put into the freezer without anyone else ever seeing it. It would have been very easy for me to "forget'' to get online and tag it in. Obviously, I did tag it in, but I can't help but wonder how many times others did not. The temptation was REAL, and if it weren't for the fact I do this solely because its something I thoroughly enjoy (and get the most enjoyment by trying to do it RIGHT), I'm just not sure I'd have bothered taggin him in. It's an honor system, and I'm pretty sure many of the people that are out hunting deer are not overly-honorable. We can only control what we do, and hope others do likewise.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
When I got home with "OOPS" on Monday of gun season, the thought crossed my mind, briefly, that I had printed two copies of my tag. That deer was taken apart and put into the freezer without anyone else ever seeing it. It would have been very easy for me to "forget'' to get online and tag it in. Obviously, I did tag it in, but I can't help but wonder how many times others did not. The temptation was REAL, and if it weren't for the fact I do this solely because its something I thoroughly enjoy (and get the most enjoyment by trying to do it RIGHT), I'm just not sure I'd have bothered taggin him in. It's an honor system, and I'm pretty sure many of the people that are out hunting deer are not overly-honorable. We can only control what we do, and hope others do likewise.

How would driving home some night after the check station has closed been any less tempting the "old" way?

Especially if it is warm?

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Ive done a lot of hunting in Michigan. A 2 buck state with a lot more hunting preasure then ohio. Michigan has good genettics.
But its very rare to see a mature buck there.
Trust me. You dont want Ohio to be a 2 buck state.
Raising the nr licence to 200 sounds like a good idea.

Metal tags and check stations, Bring um back.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
How would driving home some night after the check station has closed been any less tempting the "old" way?

Especially if it is warm?

The old way was that you had a tag. If you lost it or damaged it, you had to go to the court house to get a new one. With this new system, and what I do, you can print as many copies as you want at the time of purchase. Once the deer is home, what are the chances of anyone coming to look at it? Get out the other copy of your tag and go hunting. It would be very easy for a person to do that, and I think with the new system you are a fool if you don't print more than one copy of your tags...at least I'd be foolish not to. I get 'em wet, loose 'em, whatever... So, I think it's a good thing to be able to print more than one copy since my printer paper is not weather resistant. :)

I like the new system, but knowing that the thought crossed my mind leads me to believe it has crossed the mind of others as well. Poachers have always poached, but I do believe there is probably more temptation to "sweep one under the rug" than perhaps there once was. Won't effect what I do, but will some I think.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The old way was that you had a tag. If you lost it or damaged it, you had to go to the court house to get a new one. With this new system, and what I do, you can print as many copies as you want at the time of purchase. Once the deer is home, what are the chances of anyone coming to look at it? Get out the other copy of your tag and go hunting. It would be very easy for a person to do that, and I think with the new system you are a fool if you don't print more than one copy of your tags...at least I'd be foolish not to. I get 'em wet, loose 'em, whatever... So, I think it's a good thing to be able to print more than one copy since my printer paper is not weather resistant. :)

I like the new system, but knowing that the thought crossed my mind leads me to believe it has crossed the mind of others as well. Poachers have always poached, but I do believe there is probably more temptation to "sweep one under the rug" than perhaps there once was. Won't effect what I do, but will some I think.

Brock, My sentiments exactly.....

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
So the ODNR is trying to get the herd numbers down, right? Maybe this system is going exactly as planned and may be making things "easier", if you get my drift, and was part of the plan all along. In other words, helping the bad guys wins. Ok, I took my tin foil hat off.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I like the online check in for the convenience, but I'm an honest hunter. I can see everyone's point on the ease of not bothering. I still think poachers are poachers either way. Do more guys cheat now? Maybe.

Prime example of this system working is two seasons ago during muzzy season. It's the last day and it's snowing like hell. Kody shoots his first deer at last light. It's not a great shot, but it's a kill shot. We have to track the deer awhile before we recover it. It is now 7:30 after we gut it and drag it out of the woods. The nearest check station is 45 minutes away and it closes at 8:00. Now what?
The roads are awful and even on a good day we ain't making it. The closer stations all closed at 6:00.

Luckily I was able to talk the place into waiting on me, but they weren't happy.

If I check it in the next day as a gun kill I'm illegal. If I check it in the next day as a bow kill I'm illegal. Yet, we did nothing wrong. However, I would've been fined or not checking it in Sunday evening although all the places were closed. The online system is nice for that.

Maybe online could be used for after hours?

What if it was a gut shot and we had to let her lay all night? Still illegal to check her in as a gun kill. Thats messed up too. Should be a 24 hour grace period to allow for tracking.

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I know Jesse and I will never agree on this and I am sure the same goes with others but tell me this:

Does the new system provide an avenue for a deer to be checked after a physical check station has closed for the night?

Say you hunt your own property and butcher your own deer in your garage/barn, I find it hard to believe one is more likely to load the deer in a truck to go to a check station vs log it via phone/email.

I hunt my own property, and butcher my deer at home. In the past I had to drive 20 miles to a checkin station. Very deer got checked in regardless how tired or sore I was. At present a landower can checkin over the net but can't call it in. Or go to a checkin station. I guess this is for our Amish landowners.
Frank

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
In those situations, Mike, I've always just left a message with or contacted the WO. It has never been an issue to worry about, never a fine issued that I've heard. I really do like the new system, though I miss our old check station. Then again, the last year we didn't have one close, and it was a pain to drive 30 minutes to get to one!

Really, I don't have a problem with less deer. I don't have an issue with more seasons, and liberal bag limits. My issue and source of frustration is the fact we still hear 700k+ every year, and I know we have a lot less deer than we did when the estimate was under 500k ... makes me loose faith in the DOW. Less deer every year, and yet we can't get anything but 700k as a benchmark.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

Amen! It is the low hanging fruit...

I disagree with a lot of the stuff in this thread to this point, so I will throw out my ideal scenario and leave it at that. There are also some stuff here that I agree with and that will be evident as well.

• Start the season on the first Saturday in October. End it on January 31st.
  • No more bonus season.
  • Make youth season the second weekend in October.
  • I like muzzleloader where it is at, but would not be opposed to it going back to the last 4 days of December.
  • Zone C needs to go back to being a 3 deer county.
  • I like the one buck rule. I don't want to see that changed. Ever. In any way.
  • I like the anterless tag. I can identify a button buck, but some people cannot. I do not feel they should give up their buck tag because of this.
  • Double nonresident tags and licenses.
  • Add $5 to the all licenses for coyotes bounty. Kill one (or 50) and get your $5 back.
  • I don't like telecheck and know it contributes to illegal activity. I liked the old way and would like to see a blend of the two styles that didn't make it so easy to cheat the system.
  • I am fine with baiting until CWD shows up. I would be pissed if I had to stop using corn in front of my cameras. Food plots are not bait, but can be just as effective. If one goes, they all go IMO. And that TOO would piss me off.
  • I think that's it...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You're right, I originally read your post as taking it to the butcher when you said take it where it's going. My bad... Misunderstood you.

Yeah, after re-reading it I can see how you could of taken it that way Mike.... No problem buddy....

Lundy

LOL, I didn't expect many, if any, to like or agree with what I would do but it doesn't change the fact that for the area I hunt the system I would impliment would serve the needs to accomplish what I want to accomplish.

There would be a rapid recovery of the deer herd and a further enhanced hunting opportunity. The extra monies raised would be used to secure access on private property for hunters.

On the two buck concerns I would like to mention Illinois 2 bucks, Iowa 2-3 bucks.

I think the concern may be unjustly focused on protecting deer once they develope antlers versus the reality that it doesn't matter if the buck is removed at 6 months or 1-1/2 the results is the same. Many hunters that would never shoot a 1-1/2 year old buck don't seem to hesitate shooting a button buck. In Athens County alone in 2009 1979 bucks were killed, and 605 button bucks, in 2010 1599 bucks and 449 buttons. That is over 1000 buttons in just two years in one county that will never mature into what everyone seems to value most.

buckstar25

T-county
On the two buck concerns I would like to mention Illinois 2 bucks, Iowa 2-3 bucks.

I think the concern may be unjustly focused on protecting deer once they develope antlers versus the reality that it doesn't matter if the buck is removed at 6 months or 1-1/2 the results is the same. Many hunters that would never shoot a 1-1/2 year old buck don't seem to hesitate shooting a button buck. In Athens County alone in 2009 1979 bucks were killed, and 605 button bucks, in 2010 1599 bucks and 449 buttons. That is over 1000 buttons in just two years in one county that will never mature into what everyone seems to value most.

I've brought this same thing up before Lundy. It's kind of hard to swallow because of the "trophy" craze but in actuality, if done correctly it is one of the most effective tools a state can use. As far as shooting a button buck and tagging it with your buck tag, it will only happen once to a guy who pulls the trigger too quickly on a deer. Genetics and the overall health of a herd I largely based on the doe population, studies show 60% of a bucks genetics come from the doe.

With that being said, I think the geological make-up of Iowa and Illinois are a lot different than Ohio, we are kind of stuck in the middle so to speak. If and I know its a big "if" it were ever implemented I think it should also be zoned as well (2 buck limit).

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Many of honest people have given into temptation. The new tagging system is a freaking monster! I definitely know that people who never poached has squeezed another doe home with the mass tag producing.

Metal Tags Rock!

And the out of state hunter's should pay the same here as what we pay in their state...or more.

I hope I don't live long enough to see a 2 buck limit!

oakswamper

around Toledo
Many of honest people have given into temptation. The new tagging system is a freaking monster! I definitely know that people who never poached has squeezed another doe home with the mass tag producing.

Metal Tags Rock!

And the out of state hunter's should pay the same here as what we pay in their state...or more.

I hope I don't live long enough to see a 2 buck limit!

I've been sayin that for years