Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I shot one ..need advice?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Frank's mode of living 'don't ask a question if you don't know the answer'. Because the answer may hurt. Just about what happen on this posting IMO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hogmeister- You are right. We weren't there. We don't have all the details. Don't take it personal. I challenge you to ask yourself "Did I do EVERYTHING possible to recover this deer?" If you did, then you are good to go in my mind.

I also ask you to put the shoe on the other foot and put yourself in the shoes of some of our regulars. We have a lot of guys on this site. Some seasoned hunters. Some newbies. Some very dedicated to recovering their deer. Others just sort of shrug their shoulders and shoot another. By this time of the year, the guys who are on TOO every day have read story after story of guys who have NOT put in their due diligence to recover deer. We truly do not know if this is the case. You tell these guys you have exhausted EVERY possibility to recover the deer, show some remorse over not recovering, and hesitantly move on. . . Chances are they accept it and feel bad for you. Truly a pretty fair bunch of guys here with a ton of love for hunting and respect for the game they hunt. Good luck to you the rest of the season.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Hogmeister- You are right. We weren't there. We don't have all the details. Don't take it personal. I challenge you to ask yourself "Did I do EVERYTHING possible to recover this deer?" If you did, then you are good to go in my mind.

I also ask you to put the shoe on the other foot and put yourself in the shoes of some of our regulars. We have a lot of guys on this site. Some seasoned hunters. Some newbies. Some very dedicated to recovering their deer. Others just sort of shrug their shoulders and shoot another. By this time of the year, the guys who are on TOO every day have read story after story of guys who have NOT put in their due diligence to recover deer. We truly do not know if this is the case. You tell these guys you have exhausted EVERY possibility to recover the deer, show some remorse over not recovering, and hesitantly move on. . . Chances are they accept it and feel bad for you. Truly a pretty fair bunch of guys here with a ton of love for hunting and respect for the game they hunt. Good luck to you the rest of the season.

Spot on!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio

Well Said Phil.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll add something to Phil's sound advice here. It's inherently difficult to read between the lines on the Internet. Each post has a certain flavor to it and often times what one person perceives as the truth, is pretty far off track. My general perception of your posts were that it was an "ah, oh well" moment. Just how I interpreted it not knowing you or knowing all the details. That's a major draw back to these forums. Until you meet someone, you often don't have an accurate assessment of who they are and how they operate.

Everyone who posted was trying to help in his own way. Some are harsher than others, so are more delicate. In the end, they just want to see the proper due diligence given to the task at hand for both the deer, and for you. As Phil said, if you can say you've done all you can do, then that's what matters. Most of us have been in similar situations and it's no fun. As my dad would say: Do your best. If you did your best and still came out empty handed, time to learn from it and not make the same mistake(s) next time.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well explained. If you ask advice be prepared hear what you may not want hear.
everyone thinks differently and may get a different understading of the problem. The spoken or writen word can mean different things to different people.
good luck with what ever you do, it's your choice and not ours.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'll add something to Phil's sound advice here. It's inherently difficult to read between the lines on the Internet. Each post has a certain flavor to it and often times what one person perceives as the truth, is pretty far off track. My general perception of your posts were that it was an "ah, oh well" moment. Just how I interpreted it not knowing you or knowing all the details. That's a major draw back to these forums. Until you meet someone, you often don't have an accurate assessment of who they are and how they operate.

Everyone who posted was trying to help in his own way. Some are harsher than others, so are more delicate. In the end, they just want to see the proper due diligence given to the task at hand for both the deer, and for you. As Phil said, if you can say you've done all you can do, then that's what matters. Most of us have been in similar situations and it's no fun. As my dad would say: Do your best. If you did your best and still came out empty handed, time to learn from it and not make the same mistake(s) next time.

Indeed. Good post Jesse.