Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I know something...

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I'll just go ahead and do my write up of the bird here. Diablo and I have gotten up at 4:30 a few times this year before school to go after some birds. Today we finally scored. We were going to head to one of Taylor's spots, which didnt work out due to flooding..so we tried another spot..and once again the flooding held us up. So we decided to go to one of my spots which luckily we could get into. We parked on the edge of the gravel road and slipped up a pretty steep hill to a feild, thats connected to another big open field by a logging road. After a little bit of walking and calling we didnt hear squat. So we wondered out into the bigger field and decided to just sit against some pines on the field edge. After just a few minutes i heard a bird off in the distance gobbling at a crow. So after a little mouth call magic taylor got him responding, and we headed his way. He was around 200 yards at this point and we cut the distance in half and set up just in the woods looking over a small shelf. At first we thought it was just one bird, but after some calling we discovered there were 3. We sat there what seemed like forever and the long beards finaly broke and headed our way. We had decided that we would count down 1..2..3..bang if we had the chance at a double. So at about 70 yards taylor saw em coming..then i saw em at around 60, zig zagging and strutting their way in. One made his way to about 40 yards..where dipstick shouldve shot because he saw him first and had the shot..but he told me to shoot so i figured he wasnt on the bird. So i burried down on him and bang! Now this is where i messed up..instinctively i stood up after my shot to head after my bird...forgetting that there were 2 other ones right there that taylor probly couldve smoked. So i really messed the double up..my bad man. But overall it was an awsome hunt..just how a turkey hunt should be. This was the first bird that he called in and had harvested, so it's a pretty cool deal. I'm yet to reach that goal. He's only a 2 year old bird, but thats really no big deal to me. It's more about the hunt and the meat to me. He had a 7 inch beard and 1/2 inch spurs.