Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting this weekend?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Got a call this morning from a friend that saw 2 different bucks about 15 minutes apart bird dogging across one of his fields.......Find the right estrous doe and you never know what may be behind her.

I agree 100%! And for this reason (and the fact we had a big boy in the open today tending a doe) I will be hunting in the morning.

I know. I know. I said the whole weekend was about my family and whatever my wife wants. blah blah blah. Yeah, I know I am an a-hole, but I have a buck that needs to die tomorrow!

Shot the bow tonight. Checked the winds. Lined up all my gear. Alarm is set. Checking in on TOO and ready to roll in the morning! 99% of me wants to slide an arrow right through his vitals. 1% of me thinks I am in deep shit if I do because it is going to cost me the rest of the day and leave me with an even more upset wife. Oh well. I like to keep her mad at me I guess. lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm sleeping in. I'm going shopping with my bride when I wake up. I'll be working the shop tomorrow night. I figure next weekend I'll take my son out with a gun again, and then start praying for snow. Once we get it, they can tell me good bye for a while or come visit me in Kentucky.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I'm thinkin theres gonna be some action this weekend, get out there while it's good fellas!

I'm thinking about doing some squirrel hunting tommorow :smiley_chinrub:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here comes the big question: What to wear? 19 degrees right now with a windchill of 11. You get 25' in the air and for some reason 11 feels like 1. lol

Might have to bust out my Warm Bag for it's inaugural voyage!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I was going to suggest a Heater Body Suit...but I guess the warm bag would be a better option since you apparently already have one!

I should have ran our beagles this morning...but I stuck to the plan and went shopping with my bride. Hope she credits me a few points for that.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Had every intention of going out this morning. My last job of the day yesterday was about a quarter mile from the ridge. I swung in there just to check and make sure that no one had messed with my setup. Twenty yards from my setup was a fresh scrape and rub.

Had the company Christmas party last night. Wife and I decided to go out with the group for a few drinks and ended up closing out the bar. Was just going to stay up and then go out but then the wife offered up a bargain that was a little unfair if you ask me. B.j. or hunting in the morning? Needless to say I didn't make it to the woods this morning

I wanted to hunt barely though because what you guys are saying about the second rut is exactly what I was thinking. Might just go out this evening and see what happens.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sounds like you made the right choice, Hoyt! Its a long season, plenty of good hunting to be had yet.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I was going to suggest a Heater Body Suit...but I guess the warm bag would be a better option since you apparently already have one!

I should have ran our beagles this morning...but I stuck to the plan and went shopping with my bride. Hope she credits me a few points for that.

Brock went out till 1:00 then off to Canton with the wife Xmas shopping.... all bases covered lol.... no we're sitting in Alliance getting ready to eat dinner....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I run into the "cold feet" issues with my boy as well. I just decided I'd start taking him out later in the day. It didn't help much though. Lil feller starts wanting to go right at prime time regardless. Heck, its his hunt, I don't mind quitting early.:)

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Two of us didn't see a deer Friday night. I might go tomorrow afternoon by myself. We have been invited to a friend's house to make cookies with a bunch of other families, but they have lots of cats. I went last year and lasted about an hour till I couldn't breathe. Darn.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ha! You really like to hunt I'd guess!

I hate not having a buck tag, but I gotta admit I like the idea of sleeping in on these cold mornings!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I thoroughly enjoyed sleeping in both days this weekend. Man, it's been a long time!