Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting in the Rain: Ethical?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm not hunting in this crap with a bow. More power to you if you do, it isn't for me anymore. It's a long season, I don't need to kill a deer, and I'm getting lazier every year. I just do this stuff for fun, and rain takes the fun out of bowhunting for me.

Last year's opening day of shotgun season was an absolute downpour. I hunted all day, and had one of the best still-hunts of my life. Deer slugs and broadheads are different animals all together.

Brock pretty much nailed my thoughts on this. I love bowhunting, but when the conditions are like they are right now, I don't love it enough to go out there and be miserable for a few hours. Is it ethical?... Well, that's for each hunter to decide about him/herself. Personally, I don't think it's worth the risk. Plus, it gives me an excuse to go kill some ducks or geese... usually.

jeremy44230

Medina County
I will as long as it is not too bad for 2 reasons:

1. Don't care to be soaked...
2. Don't want to lose a deer due to no blood trail.

I will gun hunt in heavier rain but I will look for chip shots.

gavennn

I personally wouldnt hunt in it. Im 6'5" 350 lbs. it would be like putting the titanic in a tree with these winds and not expecting bad things to happen. I would be like a para sail with all the camo fabric im flying to cover me up rotflmao

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hunting in the rain is no different than hunting in a swamp when it comes to blood trails.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sure it is different. At least when they hit dry land it doesn't wash away the bit of blood you may have.

Lemme tell ya what i call a swamp. lol

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well I went tothe landing strip hunting grounds today. Man was it miserable with the strong wind and light rain. I only went to check on my 2 ground blinds. I get to the 1st blind a Doublebull Darkhorse and it's gone but the folding chair was still there.
I went to the 2nd blind and its protected on on the northend of the strip by a close treeline and it' OK.
Back to the 1st one and I start walking in a downwind direction and found it OK about 75 yrds away out of the wind. I did loose 2 stakes. Folded it up and went home as I had no intentions of hunting in the rain and wind.
I had planned on going to the Lima gunshow this week but it appears they can get along without me so I plan on starting my all day hunts on Friday weather permitting. Gotta add that buck to the Contest list and looking for my 1st bowhunting buck.
Frank

jeremy44230

Medina County
I do agree with that Jack. I've never hunted a true swamp. I have shot a many deer with either bow or gun and never tracked the blood either cause I saw em go down, no blood to follow or heard where they went down.

This being said, I don't like hunting in pouring rain because in my mind recovery chances are reduced...

Now, I have heard that some honkers can be found swamp hunting. I would definitely hunt a swamp given the chance.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Without going and looking back I know someone on the forum who was ticked for it.. The deer was standing in about 4 inches of water.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Here it is.

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/1501:31-15-11

(11) It shall be unlawful for any person to hunt or take a deer that is in the water.

That's all it says. "In the water"..

So technically you could get ticketed for shooting this deer in a flooded field edge.

Last edited:

whack

For me I find no ethical issue with it have done it will do it again. I fully believe in being able to manhandle your rig of choice in any condition. I think it's crucial especially if you feel hunting in these conditions is ok which I do. This is not to say I fault anyone that chooses not to I respect your decision. That being said I will limit my shot selection to 25 absolute max prefer inside of 20