Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hammer down, balls on the ground

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Another gun camp came together just as it is supposed to. Met up with 5 buddies and we hit the road at noon on Sunday. Got down to the farm at 2:00 and started getting things settled in.

About 4pm we went out to check all the stands and make sure everything was good for the morning. We got back to camp about dark and played some cards and enjoyed the comraderie until about 10pm then it was time to get some sleep.

5:30am alarms went off and we were all up and at it. Got to the stand about 6:20. Had a few .minutes before daylight to reflect on all the previous memories in that stand. At first light I could hear several deer moving up the ravine to my right. Never saw them. 7:05 I hear a shot from a separate ravine about 200 yards east. A few minutes later I hear a deer moving my way. Figuring that it must have been spooked from the shots I got ready. 100 yards across the ravine I see a nice buck heading my way. Raised my gun and put the red Dot on him as I watched him close the distance. He passed by me at 60 yards and was heading up the hill. He continued another 20 yards or so and finally presented me a broadside shot. I settled the dot on his shoulder and squeezed one off. He bucked and took off. I could tell he was hurt bad as his head was slumped. He made it 49 yards and his head hit the ground and he plowed a few more feet and crumbled up.

The emotions as I watched swept over me. I gave thanks to God and thanked Connor for watching over me. Sent a couple of the guys a text and settled back into my stand to relax and let the emotions run their course.

Climbed down after about 15 minutes and went to put my hands on the harvest. Another great day in the stand and enjoying God's creation.