Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gun numbers are out.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I love how they keep throwing around bringing the numbers down close to the effectiveness of the heards....... What exactly does that mean? The herd seemed plenty effective when the numbers were way up. I have never in 34 years seen a deer starving to death in the woods.

I asked Tonkovich this question point blank. Who set this population goal. The answer was the farmer survey. Which when we were talking two years ago hadn't been conducted in 10 years. And while the farmers said they would like to see less, they in no way said 50% or more less like their goals are. So that answer was a lie. They love using farmers as the excuse. The reality is it's insurance companies and farm bureau want to see it lower. But he would never admit that.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just a reminder; Nationwide Ins. was started by the FB. It became publicly traded in 1996. Our seasons and bag limits have become much more liberal ever since...as have regulations all across the Midwest. Draw your own conclussions.

Last edited:

antiqucycle

East Ohio
I still think the leasing is keeping some people from finding a place to hunt, the guys who do not want any part of public hunting areas.
The serious youth hunters probably already got a buck and did not want to hunt in the rain.
I do think the Telecheck numbers are a bunch of lies.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Just a reminder; Nationwide Ins. was started by the FB. It became publicly traded in 1996. Our seasons and bag limits have become much more liberal ever since...as have regulations all across the Midwest. Draw your own conclussions.

BINGO! Once anything becomes publicly traded it becomes open to corruption. Stockholders become priority #1.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

Didn't know that Brock! That certainly answers several questions!

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Nationwide is a Mutual where policy holders own the company. It is not a public traded company. But that doesn't mean that money isn't their no. 1 priority. I've said for a long time one of the problems with OFBF/Nationwide is the annual meeting is always held during gun week. So hunting farmers (or is it farming hunters?) like myself are underrepresented.