Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Grouse sightings

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
FS, you ever chase a woodcock? That is a dumb bird. You flush them twice and you know every place they will land...they fly right back to where you flushed them the first time! I hate to admit anything, but I will go so far to say two kids working together with pellet guns shot a bunch of 'em by flushing them back and forth to each other. :) I don't think that would work with grouse.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I bet Woodcock is what I was jumping in the woods as a youngster...

And you assholes don't even start with the jokes.... especially you Cottis.... :smiley_crocodile:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
No Brock can't say that I have. You are right though about being being easy to kill. Although I've never tried killing one I've gotten awfully close to them before flushing them. Once they do take flight they don't go very far and you can see right where they land. I actually jump at least one at every place I shed hunt on.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I see a handful of woodcock every year, but I've only ever seen one grouse in the wild. It was 2004 or 2005 I think... down in Morgan County on WNF ground... That bird took off from not 5 feet in front of me and scare the holy bejesus out of me.

wdbak

SE Ohio
There used to be a lot of grouse and quail around here. They have been gone for at least ten years (Athens Co.) I don't think anyone including biologists know what happened. I worked up at Hocking State forest in the winter of 2009 and never saw a grouse track. We worked down in Forked Run State Park and I tracked and jumped one and that was the last one I saw. There are still some woodcock that do their mating dance in early March on my place, but I sure miss the grouse an quail.