Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Good day @ the range

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Take them all back and get remington accutips...i know of 6 if these guns and they al like remington accutips the best

X2.... those acutips shot the best as well for me.... oh and Remington bought them out.... (Barnes) is what I was told today.... you'll love that gun and the Nikon should be fine as well....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Take them all back and get remington accutips...i know of 6 if these guns and they al like remington accutips the best

Fuggity fugg fugg fugg. The guy at the counter suggested that I buy the accutips. Savage recommends either Federal or the Accutips... I went with Federal because I've always liked Federal ammunition. Now I see this and read through some other forums only to find out there's a recurring theme... These 220's love the Remington accutips. Shit balls. I knew I should have gotten a couple boxes of each. :smiley_boos:

FUGG YOU!!!! YOU DIRTY HOE!!!

How on earth did you pull that off LESS than a week from getting back from NoDak?

:smiley_chinrub:

Ohhhh...that's how ;)

This ain't my first rodeo, broseph. :smiley_bril: lmao

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Also doan fug with the 3 inchers either..they only give you 100 fps more i think and they are not more accurate ...i may get mine out tomorrow..

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Also doan fug with the 3 inchers either..they only give you 100 fps more i think and they are not more accurate ...i may get mine out tomorrow..

Not sure how the Accutips compare, but the Federals are 1900fps in 3" and like 1600fps in 2.75". I wanna say the 3" accutips were 1850fps.

I guess every gun is going to be different so we'll see. I've read conflicting reviews on the 3" vs 2.75" debate. Some say the 2.75" group better for them... others say 3". I'll know soon enough I guess. I bought all 3" shells.

Lundy

Nice gun!

It looks like the Barnes patent ran out so Federal started producing their own copper bullets and slugs.

From strictly a paper review it looks like the Trophy Copper slugs will perform as well as the Barnes but that remains to be seen real world.

I will have my daughter-in-law shooting some of the new Trophy Coppers this weekend from My 20 Ultra and then hunting with them this year. I'll get a good comparison to the Barnes.

I am a big fan of the Barnes bullets and slugs from both my slug guns and my MZ's, I've killed a bunch of deer with them and their performance is second to none up until now. If there is anyway for me to find a way to use a Barnes bullet I do it every time.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
He used all the money he would have spent on lunch and soap during the week he was duck hunting - came out even.

If you would've seen me when I got back from the trip, your statement would be more than believable. I looked like a homeless person... no shit. lmao Next time I want to take pics, before I leave and once I get back. lol

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Yeah, I remember reading that in your trip thread.

But really, if you figure spending $5 a day on lunch (or more - for breakfast, coffee, a snack, blah blah blah) a guy could ask his wife to pack his lunch and save $25 a week toward a gun - $100 a month - every 3 or 4 or 6 months you could get a nice little piece.

Or if the wife figgers out you're eating lunch out of the grocery money and saving YOUR money for guns, you ain't gettin a piece of nothin.... lmao

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
So this gun fever must be contagious, because yesterday my brother went and bought himself a new Savage 220 also! lmao Apparently he pulled a nice haul in poker over the weekend.

He called me earlier this afternoon and said he was able to make it to the range this morning. He got it dialed in quickly, and was throwing 1.5-2" groups at 100yds... both with 2.75" Remington Accutips and Hornady SST's. By his description, he was thoroughly impressed with this gun. I can't wait to shoot mine!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
So this gun fever must be contagious, because yesterday my brother went and bought himself a new Savage 220 also! lmao Apparently he pulled a nice haul in poker over the weekend.

He called me earlier this afternoon and said he was able to make it to the range this morning. He got it dialed in quickly, and was throwing 1.5-2" groups at 100yds... both with 2.75" Remington Accutips and Hornady SST's. By his description, he was thoroughly impressed with this gun. I can't wait to shoot mine!

One of my Son's buddies called me friday and said he picked up the Savage 212 and wanted too know what too shoot out of it... He bought 4 boxes of Hornady's I told him too go back and exchange two boxes for acutips and too compare them... We'll see how it plays out....

Toped it with a nikon 3x7 which I wasn't aware that they made that power but he said it was.... Seemed weird when he said it....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
One of my Son's buddies called me friday and said he picked up the Savage 212 and wanted too know what too shoot out of it... He bought 4 boxes of Hornady's I told him too go back and exchange two boxes for acutips and too compare them... We'll see how it plays out....

Toped it with a nikon 3x7 which I wasn't aware that they made that power but he said it was.... Seemed weird when he said it....

Cool. Let me know how it pans out. I'm probably going to sight mine in on Thursday.

It's probably a 2-7 power scope and not a 3-7.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Cool. Let me know how it pans out. I'm probably going to sight mine in on Thursday.

It's probably a 2-7 power scope and not a 3-7.

That's what I thought as well but I looked it up and they make a 3x7.... We'll not probably get out until saturday too do it but will let you know.... I'm thinking the acutips will be the ticket but will give the hornady's their just due...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's what I thought as well but I looked it up and they make a 3x7.... We'll not probably get out until saturday too do it but will let you know.... I'm thinking the acutips will be the ticket but will give the hornady's their just due...

Interesting! I didn't know they made a 3-7x. But then again, I'm nowhere near being a true gun guru either.

I really hope my 3" Federals pattern well. I don't want to have to go out and buy any more slugs right now! lol

In regards to the accutips... I was speaking with a buddy of mine last week... He said he tried out the accutips at the range a few times last year in his Browning A-Bolt slug gun. He normally shoots the hornady SSTs but he wanted to try something new. Anyway, he said one day there was a 10-15 mph crosswind, and the accutips were affected by the wind significantly more than the SSTs. Kind of makes sense to me... The accutips have that little plastic cone on the front which has holes or grooves in it... I bet it grabs the wind moreso than a standard ballistic-tipped sabot.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
JB can I ask why the 3" shells? Seems like you're not gaining much for the extra cash you put out for them.... Have you got any 2 3/4" too try? I'd really like too see the differance @ 50 and 100 yards with them....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
JB can I ask why the 3" shells? Seems like you're not gaining much for the extra cash you put out for them.... Have you got any 2 3/4" too try? I'd really like too see the differance @ 50 and 100 yards with them....

Not sure. I didn't really have any reason to pick the 3" over the 2.75" or vise versa. Except that I thought the 3" would have a bit more punch at longer ranges, since they were listed as 3 or 400 fps faster. Also a lot of the reviews that I read made reference to using the 3" shells with great accuracy. I don't think they're much more than a dollar or two per box difference in price. Currently I don't have any 2.75" slugs... But next time I'm down at The Fin I think I might pick some up just to experiment with.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good I'm really curious as too the results on that.... Sam might enlighten us because we just had this conversation at the range and if I remember right they're not really that much better.... Like I said I'll let him give his oppinion on them as I may be wrong on this....

Hopefully will be out Fri or Saturday with the 2 Savage, 1 is a 212 and 1 is a 220 shooting them with my 2 friends who just got them.... Ought too be a pretty good day..... :smiley_coolpeace: I may just bring mine back out and try it out too 200 yards, my curiostiy is getting the best of me.....

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The limiting factor for velocities on slugs is the pressure the guns can handle. The 3" shells were originally designed to hold more shot (pellets) for shooting hard to hit or kill birds. They weren't designed for more pressure. I looked on Remington's website and increase in velocity for 3" over 2 3/4" is 50 fps or 2.7%.