Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Furnace issues

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Our furnace is pretty old and seems to be having issues today...

It was running normally this morning but at some point today the BASO pilot switch tripped. I've reset it several times, but it keeps turning off.
I've turned the thermostat down and it has kicked on and off normally through 2 cycles now.
The switch doesn't trip when I operate the thermostat manually. I turn the Stat down until it clicks, when the fan stops, I turn the Stat back up, the burner fires and the fan comes on normally

I can get a new BASO switch from Amazon but it will take almost 2 weeks to get.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Does the pilot flame stay lit?

Make sure the thermocouple connection is snug.

Check the the adjustment of where the thermocouple and flame are, making sure it’s in there by at a min of a 1/2”

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not a furnace, but our gas fireplace had a very hard to find heat sensor that was malfunctioning. Stove would barely heat up and it would shut down. Once I found the sensor and replaced it, the problem stopped.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Pilot never went out. Not sure how the thermocouple could move on its own.
I almost feel like it's an over heating issue
How windy was it today?

If I remember right, there’s only 2 things it could be, baso or thermocouple. Especially if it’s an older unit.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Oil tank above ground??? If so is there anti freeze in the tank... Mines above ground and every time I get oil I throw a pint of anti freeze in... Just a thought...

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
It's at about 63 - 64 now... has run through at least 4 cycles normally so far. I'm just gonna leave it there for now, get the kerosene heater out of the shed as a backup for tonight, go get a thermocouple tomorrow. If that doesn't fix it, I'll order a new switch.