Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fluorescent vs LED shop lights?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Phil, can you share the sams club link?

One if you want to try a single.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/4ft-led-shoplight-shoplight-led/prod16460030.ip

Here is the two pack.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/2pk-led-shoplight-4-ft-led-shoplight/prod20051839.ip

And YES. . . I did read about these on the Garage forum you suggested Adam. Good and bad reviews. Mainly positive. Some question of actual lumen output. If I get 3800 lumen instead of 4200 or 4500 lumen? It will likely be much brighter than what I have and consume less juice.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Thanks Phil, I have never looked into them. I'm looking forward to your review once you receive and install.

Do these come with a plug or are they hardwired only?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Phil, I have never looked into them. I'm looking forward to your review once you receive and install.

Do these come with a plug or are they hardwired only?

I think I will be surprised when they show up. Reviews appear to have a pull string. Product description and pictures don't appear to have one. Either way, I will likely have them wired to light switches.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Pull cord. Pre wired plug in end. Wire cutters fixed that. I just hard wired 2 of them in. Here is the difference from back of shop looking toward front with 2/8 lights swapped.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm impressed with my speedy install. Figured half would still be in boxes in 6mo. They are all up!

WAY brighter. I'm happy. Now to see if I notice a difference in light bill.

Old light above pic. New below. Tough to tell much in pics. Cleaner light. Seems more full if that makes sense.

Old light above. New lights in pic below.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks great Phil, thank you for the feedback and pictures!

Mounting height/hanging height still the same?
I did my best to reuse old chains but to hang them a bit tighter to ceiling. I moved a few of the j hooks closer to the center of the shop. Maybe 18-24" depending upon the amount of wire I had to work with. I figured with brighter lights I didn't need them overhanging the work benches as close. Was hoping to brighten up the floor area better for when we have a hood in the air working on a truck.