Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Florida Hog Hunt

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Yep! Just show up and be ready to shoot 30 yards and you are golden:) the cool thing is if you do a morning hunt and you don't have one down by about 9am they will drag you all over the swamp to stalk one. Bring some waterproof boots that are over the calf if you got em. Some rubber boots would be perfect. No need for insulation. Shouldn't be colder than about 60 degrees. Oh, and bring a thermacell. Florida ain't kind to hunters that don't have one!

Thanks for the info. Will definitely bring my thermacell.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I went yesterday and all I can say is THAT SUCKED! Sat for 4 hours in the morning and another 4 in the afternoon and all I saw was one baby pig. Didn't even weigh 10 lbs. Not exactly a shooter. I was not happy. Especially for $300. I've emailed the owner. It will be interesting to see what he says.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I went yesterday and all I can say is THAT SUCKED! Sat for 4 hours in the morning and another 4 in the afternoon and all I saw was one baby pig. Didn't even weigh 10 lbs. Not exactly a shooter. I was not happy. Especially for $300. I've emailed the owner. It will be interesting to see what he says.

$300 for a 4 hour sit!? Holy sh@t....and all you saw was a piglet? I would love to know his response as well.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
$300 for a 4 hour sit!? Holy sh@t....and all you saw was a piglet? I would love to know his response as well.

$300 for two 4 hour sits. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. He charges $225 for each hunt individually and $300 if you want to do both. That price includes the cleaning and quartering of the animal but of course if you don't see shit that doesn't do you any good.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
The outfitter just called me back. He was all apologetic and wanted to make things right. He offered me a free half day hunt in the future. When I told him I was leaving Florida next Thursday he told me he was all booked up through the rest of my stay. If he wasn't booked up I'd have probably taken him up on the offer. Give him a chance to redeem himself. He then offered it to me if I come back to Florida next winter. Right now I'm planning on coming for two weeks again next year but who knows what could happen between now and then. I think I may call him back and tell him some sort of refund (partial or full) will be the only thing he can do to make it right. Of course you only get one chance to make a first impression and my impression of his hog hunts right now is not good. Any thoughts?

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
man...that sucks! Not what I would have expected based on what I've seen out there. A real shame. Sorry that was such a waste. When you pay that kind of money you should expect to at least see some even if you don't choose to shoot one.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
man...that sucks! Not what I would have expected based on what I've seen out there. A real shame. Sorry that was such a waste. When you pay that kind of money you should expect to at least see some even if you don't choose to shoot one.

This is why I hate using an outfitter. When you pay someone money to go hunting or fishing your expectations rise. That's why when I hunt Ohio I do a DIY on public land. That way when I get skunked I have nobody to blame but myself. Like you said it's a lot of money to pay without even seeing anything.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
So I called him to discuss some sort of refund since I don't live in Florida and he said he'd think about it but probably won't do it. He wants to stand by his offer of a free hunt next year. My problem with that offer is two fold. One, I may not be back in this area next year and two, right now I'm not sure I want to hunt with him again. Even if it is for free. Yesterday just all around sucked. 8 hours on stand without seeing anything is no fun at all. Like I said if he had an opening over the next 7 days when I'm still in Florida I'd take him up on it but he says he's completely booked. Now maybe he's blowing smoke up my ass about being booked to just try and get rid of me. Who knows. I do give him credit for calling me back and talking with me for 20 minutes or so. My guess is most outfitters would have said tough shit that's hunting.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
So I called him to discuss some sort of refund since I don't live in Florida and he said he'd think about it but probably won't do it. He wants to stand by his offer of a free hunt next year. My problem with that offer is two fold. One, I may not be back in this area next year and two, right now I'm not sure I want to hunt with him again. Even if it is for free. Yesterday just all around sucked. 8 hours on stand without seeing anything is no fun at all. Like I said if he had an opening over the next 7 days when I'm still in Florida I'd take him up on it but he says he's completely booked. Now maybe he's blowing smoke up my ass about being booked to just try and get rid of me. Who knows. I do give him credit for calling me back and talking with me for 20 minutes or so. My guess is most outfitters would have said tough shit that's hunting.

Dam that's bull. I don't get charging someone that didn't see a thing. I know he has bills to pay I'm sure but if I have to do that people to pay my bills I wouldn't do it. That a bunch of cash for a pig you could buy off a farmer and let alone being a invasive species.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
$300 for two 4 hour sits. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. He charges $225 for each hunt individually and $300 if you want to do both. That price includes the cleaning and quartering of the animal but of course if you don't see shit that doesn't do you any good.

I'd ask for a 50% refund, he gets something and so do you...... Seems fair too me and I don't have a dog in the fight..... Oh and I'd remind him that the World Wide Web makes for a small world......