Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Flooded basement help/advice please.

Sucks I know, been there a lot in our addition basement which is about 2 ft. lower than our Michigan basement under the main house. Good ole rubber boots come in handy. Still gives you that uneasy feeling though. On the pump, make sure it hasn't sucked something up in that's plugged it good Diane. Other than that take it back and get another.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
After hours of bailing it, I remembered that we have a rental company in our town. I have a friend on the way to pick up some type of pump. $12 a day or $30 for a week. I paid for the week since we are suppose to get heavy rains on Friday. My son-in-law said he would see about putting some type of sump pump in this summer.

And yea, I'm doing rubber boots now.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
That sucks Diane. My Mom had a similar thing happen last year. Keep the fans/ dehumidifier going next to reduce the possibility of mold.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I have my woodstove down there which is probably a help, but I still do not have all the water up. :smiley_baby:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Diane, if you can, find out where the water is coming in from. By that I mean is it coming through the block wall or up from the floor?

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
J, I'm not even sure what your question means. :smiley_confused_sch

Milo, it is coming through the block wall, right along the floor, (like where they meet) from the back of the house where the hill is. My brother sent me over some water stop cement stuff to put along that wall, as we did see a few areas it was coming in.

I haven't used it yet since that area is not totally dry yet.

Milo

Tatonka guide.

Milo, it is coming through the block wall, right along the floor, (like where they meet) from the back of the house where the hill is. My brother sent me over some water stop cement stuff to put along that wall, as we did see a few areas it was coming in.

the water stop cement is supposed to be be used when it's wet. I would put in on now. It needs water to react and seal. BUT do not get any in your eyes and on your skin. It will burn a hole on your skin and make you blind. Heavy in lye. It's not a spring but your going to want to divert water. I need my topo program at work and see what you have going on there.

Milo

Tatonka guide.

the water stop cement is supposed to be be used when it's wet. I would put in on now. It needs water to react and seal. BUT do not get any in your eyes and on your skin. It will burn a hole on your skin and make you blind. Heavy in lye. It's not a spring but your going to want to divert water. I need my toll program at work and see what you have going on there.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
the water stop cement is supposed to be be used when it's wet. I would put in on now. It needs water to react and seal. BUT do not get any in your eyes and on your skin. It will burn a hole on your skin and make you blind. Heavy in lye. It's not a spring but your going to want to divert water. I need my toll program at work and see what you have going on there.

You can say that again lol....

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
the water stop cement is supposed to be be used when it's wet. I would put in on now. It needs water to react and seal. BUT do not get any in your eyes and on your skin. It will burn a hole on your skin and make you blind. Heavy in lye. It's not a spring but your going to want to divert water. I need my topo program at work and see what you have going on there.

Ok, I'll talk to my son-in-law about applying it.

My basement flooded last May when we had all that non-stop rain, but it wasn't this bad. This is the worst it has ever been.
It doesn't seem to get wet from normal rain and weather.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Okay

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Ok, I'll talk to my son-in-law about applying it.

My basement flooded last May when we had all that non-stop rain, but it wasn't this bad. This is the worst it has ever been.
It doesn't seem to get wet from normal rain and weather.
Yep your going to want to rent a trencher and put in some diverter tile. It's surface drainage. The water is probably running up against your basement wall and down the wall.