Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fletch's N.J. Black Bear 2017 Adventures....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Well its "Show Time" tomorrow... Rain,rain and more rain for Mon. and Tues. plus very warm temps... So I've decided to skip Mon. Tue. and Wed. with the bow... Don't feel like giving the state money for an archery license for one day... Big concern is warm temps, hunting alone means it takes time to rally the troops to help get the bear out... I won't kill one if theres a chance it may go to waste... Maybe some cooler temps will move in towards the end of the week... Plus more help will be available on those days if needed... So I'll be out Thurs. Fri. and Sat. with the CVA MR...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Thanks Guys!!!!! Was just out in the yard working, felt like taking my tee-shirt off... Definitely not hunting weather... Brian... That old Moultrie definitely is old school with 6 D batteries, but it takes great pics.... Just need something to visit my bait pile there.... Checked it 4 times since I put it out and nothing... But I'm sure within a half mile there are spots being baited for months so that's where yogi is... So the plan will be to bait Tues. and Wed. in my original spot, then have all day sits Thurs,Fri, and Sat...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Wow... Only 26 bears were harvested yesterday... Big drop from last years 206 taken on the first day... Guess a lot of guys sat out the opener due to rain and warm temps... Although personally I think last years early season put a big dent in the population... Going to check cameras later, so we'll see how things are shaping up for Thurs...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Second day produced 56 bears for a two day total of 82. So that's a little improvement. A little cooler temps this morning so we'll see what today brings. Never went to check cameras yesterday as at this stage of the game it is what it is.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Ok... Yesterday I decided to go check my cameras and take some fresh donut's in for this mornings hunt. Weather forcast was for light showers throughout last night ending by 5am or so. So rather than the donut's turning to mush I figured I'd carry them in yesterday afternoon and double bag them in contractors garbage bags and dump them this morning when I came to hunt.Giving me less to carry this morning.So I handled the bags with rubber gloves and buried it in leaves where I would sit. Upon getting home I reviewed the sd cards to find very little activity over a 10 day period, in fact there was still some bagels and corn remaining untouched. Like what the heck...

Before the alarm clock went off this morning I heard rain falling outside, by the time the alarm went off it was pouring. So I rolled over and went back to sleep. Got up around 8 and still raining,so I made the right decision. But by noon time I was still mulling over what to do for the two remaining days? Decided to go get that bag of donuts I buried and move them to a new spot. Upon arriving at the spot I buried them I noticed the bag was GONE..... So I started looking where Yogi took it. I'm thinking I'm back in the middle of nowhere so why carry the bag away? Esp when it weighed around 40lbs. Just rip it open and have a feast. Finally about 100 yds from where it was buried I found it in some thick laurels. Now this bear carried it to this spot in his mouth, if he drug it through those laurels it would have been shredded and open within 25 yds. All donuts were gone. I'll be in those laurels in the am to see if he returns to his crime scene.

As of last night 41 bears were taken Wed. to make a grand total of 123...