Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Finally conjured one up...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Global pandemic and pivotal election aside, by the numbers, 2020 was destined to be a memorable year for me. 30 years ago this December, I went on my first-ever deer hunt where I missed a deer of this very caliber, and where the embers of a fiery passion were sparked. My first full season of bowhunting, and my first bow kill, took place 20 years ago. And 15 years ago, we purchased The Farm with No Name. Buying the farm took a smoldering passion for bowhunting big bucks and turned it into a five-alarm fire. If you read the Story of the Wide 8 from last year, you know that my pursuit of big bucks on The Farm with No Name did not go as anticipated, expected, or envisioned for 13 straight seasons. Although I checked that off my list of things to accomplish as a bowhunter, I still had a list of things I wanted to achieve, and as I prepared for the 2020 season, I hoped this season would live up to the “hype” in my own head.

One of the things I was hoping to do for the first time ever was fill my buck tag in back-to-back seasons. The other thing I wanted to see happen was a “textbook” hunt. You know the hunt I’m talking about because you see them all the time on TV. The guy lays out all the details of why he’s hunting where he’s hunting, what he expects the deer to do, and then it comes together as if scripted for the very show he’s recording. I’ve formulated that experience in my mind hundreds of times and short of shooting does over corn in January, I’ve never “conjured” one up until Friday night. My “made for TV hunt” turned out to be the perfect way to celebrate season #30 as a hunter, #20 as a bowhunter, and #15 on The Farm with No Name. This is how I finally wrote the script on one…

The Location

If you didn’t see my video tutorial from the stand on Friday, now is a good time to check it out and get a lay of the land. Literally.

We’ve killed several deer from this spot over the years, but I’ve never felt like I had the right tree, especially for northerly winds. A few years back, I bought a Hawk 1.5-man ladder stand and hung it about halfway from the top of the ridge, to the creek, and had it set as a northerly wind morning set. The first time I tried to hunt it on an evening hunt, was one of the most educational hunts I’ve ever had in terms of thermals, which actually factored into my decision to sit the new spot on Friday night. After a few seasons in the first location, I wasn’t pleased with the set and decided I needed to move it up on the ridge and hide it in a tight cluster of waist-sized white oaks. (Although it worked out, I’ll be replacing this stand with a set of sticks and a comfortable stand next year so I can hide a little better.) I did, however, find the right tree and for the second year in a row, I feel comfortable saying I found a tree that has the potential to produce annually. That said, the stars aligned this year, and honestly, I can’t expect this spot to produce like this every year. If the corn was still standing and there were no acorns, this spot would suck. But with the bumper crop of acorns and the corn coming off early, this was a much more desirable course of travel for a cruising buck. This should also add some context to things:

Capture.PNG

The white areas are known bedding areas and the blue lines help illustrate how the drainages force deer around the heads of each. The white camera icon is over-looking the scrape I started a few years back and once I check it, I assume I’ll have good videos to share from Friday’s hunt. I’ve had a camera in this spot since 2006 and some of the best pics I have of cruising bucks have come from here. I can count on getting a flurry of new bucks from October 23 or so, through Thanksgiving, then it will go back to being just does moving E/W eating acorns and browsing as they move between bedding areas. In 2016, I took paracord and tied down the branch of a small maple tree along the trail so I could start a mock scrape, and ever since doing so, it’s been the most active scrape on the farm. As you can imagine, there is a good rub line marking that E/W travel every year as well.

Setting the Stage

It wasn't until the first camera check of October that I had something to be excited about in terms of “Hit List” bucks. When I finally pulled cards and laid eyes on the shortlist of shooters that had moved in after a long summer of nothing but does, I figured this buck would be a game-time decision. I liked what I saw and knew he’d get me out of my seat if I did see him, but it wasn't until this morning I connected the dots. This is my buck from last Saturday morning about an hour before I hopped in the stand that overlooks this crossing, which is roughly 500 yards south of where I shot him.

IMG_0231.JPG

Like all of you, I was paying attention to the weather this week and eyeballing this weekend as primetime to get it done, especially when you look at the 10-day forecast. Last year, I killed my buck on the south side of the creek that splits our farm, so I wanted to kill one on the north side, and with a forecasted N-NW wind for Friday night, it was time to give consideration to the ladder stand on the oak flat or the one to the W in the bedding area. Both are set for mornings so that the thermals can carry your scent over the trails below the stands, but there is no way to get in the stand to the west in the evenings without bumping deer. Although the ladder stand on the oak flat should be hunted in the morning, if you access from the SE, you can get in undetected and you simply roll the dice that the thermals won’t get you busted by deer south of the stand. When I factored in the acorns, the corn, the latest intel from the camera, the weather, and the timing, I felt confident in my choice of stand as I shut the tailgate on my truck and started my walk in on Friday.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Showtime

I was still getting set up when I saw my first deer a little after 4 and she busted me moving, which resulted in a snorting match between us as I tried to simulate an awkward encounter between two deer. I eventually took out my HS True Talker grunt tube and hit her with a “roar” that settled the debate and she got out of Dodge. It was a bit raucous for my liking, but looking back, it probably factored into the hunt in a positive way. With her gone, I finished setting up, then took a seat and spent some time responding to texts and a late flurry of emails from work. At 5, I shut my phone off and started to stand up when I heard a deer walking right behind me. I turned to my 7 o’clock to see a 2.5-year-old basket racked 8-point standing at 15 yards staring at the blob in the tree that just made eye contact with him. After several tense minutes, he finally wandered off without incident, which again, factored into the hunt in a positive way. At this point, I stood up, readied myself for the next encounter, and settled in for what turned into a nonstop barrage of deer activity over the next hour.

About 10 minutes after the small 8 moved off, I caught movement to the W of me through the timber and threw up my binos to see a beautiful 3.5-year-old 8 working his way along the E/W trail that would bring him right past the scrape at 30 yards. I expected him to hit the scrape and was thinking if he does, I’m shooting him. It was already on my mind that I’d never killed a buck in October, I’ve never shot one while working a scrape, I still hadn’t killed one with a lighted nock, and as I said earlier, the idea of back-to-back filled tags was very appealing. In all honesty, last year may have ruined me. I tagged out on 11/1 and the weather was better for working around the house than hunting, which is exactly what I did with my vacation and I enjoyed that about as much as staring at leaves in pursuit of bucks I’d never actually see, let alone kill. Turns out, he cruised right over the scrape, which probably saved his life. He did stop and hit a scrape under a grapevine, and then made two rubs before eventually disappearing into the bedding area to the NE.

A few minutes later, I caught more movement to the W where he’d just come from and glassed a yearling buck dogging a doe and her fawn. Eventually, both filtered past the scrape and followed the bigger 8 into the bedding area. Not 5 minutes after they disappeared, I again caught movement to the W through the timber and immediately thought “shooter”. When I glassed him, it was like I saw the ghost of Captain Jack and Wilson. Both bucks had the same distinct curl to their G2 and both had weak brows. Again, I said to myself “if he hits that scrape, I’m shooting him” and again, he cruised right past the scrape, hit the grapevine, and hit the same two rubs the other 8 had hit. He eventually ran into the small buck that was dogging does and they postured up, touched tines, then went about their business. With him disappearing into the same bedding area as the other good 8, I was expecting chaos and sure enough, it followed.

Within minutes, I hear grunting and crashing to the E in the bedding area. The wind was still blowing pretty hard, so it wasn’t easy to hear, but I could definitely tell they were sorting things out over there. About 15 minutes after I heard all the commotion, 5 does and the first good 8 appeared below me in the drainage and almost directly downwind. For almost 10 minutes, the buck would alternate between cautiously sampling the air and nudging does. Eventually, the does got antsy, he got antsy, and it created more commotion that lead to them trotting off through the cornfield and into the thick cover to the N of me. At this point, I'd seen 6 does and 4 bucks, and I can’t help but think that “Mr. Big” is next to appear. Well, I didn’t see Mr. Big, but I did see “Mr. Big Enough” who apparently read the script this time.

Almost 20 minutes had passed since the whole group had vacated the area when I looked back to the NE and see my buck working his way back towards me and he’s got a little bit of Billy Badass in his walk. Ears laid back, licking his nose, sidestepping his way back along the trail of that other buck. When I realized it was him, I thought “son of a bitch, he’s gonna come back and hit that scrape” and sure enough, he sidestepped his way right to it and started to paw the ground with all his mite before raising up and thrashing the licking branch with his antlers. At this point, I wasn’t passing up the opportunity that had been giving to me. I’ve done it dozens of times on decent 3-year old deer and at this point in my life and hunting career, I’m not sure I have the luxury of being that picky. For once, “big enough” and “old enough” was good enough. As he was wrapping up his display of dominance, he moved forward just enough to clear his vitals as he started to piss down his hocks. I could hear him peeing on himself as I was coming to anchor. I had to lean forward just a touch to get clear of a limb, found my bubble, and tucked the pin tight to the shoulder as I squeezed through the shot. He was at 31 paces as the 575-grain Slick Trick Wicked Trick zipped through his chest and buried 6” into the ground on the other side. The Nocturnal left no doubt that I’d 10-ringed him.

He scurried off 75 yards, paused, got wobbly, laid down, tried to get up, then rolled over within clear sight of the tree. I fist-pumped as if on cue. I mean, this is how it goes on TV right?!? After a flurry of texts and phone calls, we got him out of the woods and the celebration was on. I’d finally filled tags in consecutive years. I’d finally killed one in a scrape and possibly, on trail camera (to be determined). I’d finally killed one with a lighted nock and I don’t see me doing it again without one! I’d finally killed a buck in October and after years of being scared of the front shoulder, my summer of tinkering in the pursuit of an “adult arrow” paid off as I made what is maybe the best shot of my career on a whitetail. There was no ground shrinkage; I knew what I shot, but there were no regrets the next day either. I'm a busy, busy man and life is demanding with young kids as many of you know. I can't afford to spend 100+ hours a year in a tree right now and so my days of 4 years old or older are probably on pause for a while. If the right 3-year-old does what this guy did, I'm going to have a hard time not making him pay for it until I can afford to be picky again. Killing them is way more fun than almost killing them and the more of these memories I can make, the better!

20201031_103239.jpg
IMG_20201030_210500_177.jpg
IMG_20201101_081210_432.jpg

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hell of a story my man! Very happy for ya. That’s a fine animal and one to be extremely proud of, just like any other deer. I can totally relate to the “good enough” feeling, as it was also my sentiment this past week. Life can be crazy and sometimes you need to capitalize on these golden opportunities when they arise, rather than taking the “picky” approach. It’s also incredibly valuable, both for yourself and for your kids, to remind yourself about why we do what we do sometimes... This deer hunting thing is about way more than antlers. Congrats again buddy.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Just got the time to sit down and read this one. Well written, Jesse. Congrats on a great season, one with plenty of time left on the clock. It's time for those ladies in the household to put the hudu on one.

Reactions: bowhunter1023