Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Different types of firewood

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What types of wood do you guys burn? This seasoned white oak sure does burn nice.

When I used to cut, split and burn a bunch I kept a list of species by milli9n BTU per cord in the truck. If you're going to do the work it pays to know where you get the best bang for the buck.

Trying to paste a link but my phone is being goofy. Just google BTU per cord of wood.

Last edited:

Jamie

Ohio
I burn whatever hardwood I have access to. Largely Ash for the last 10 years because there is such a glut of it, but I have mostly oak and pignut hickory now. If I could choose, I would burn nothing but Osage, hickory, and oak in that order.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I take what is free. Prefer Hickory, oak, walnut. Plenty of ash available and it seems everyone around here has silver maples cut down and I end up with the free wood to save them some money on having it hauled away. It isn't ideal but is perfect in March or October when the temps aren't as frigid. I'll take anything but cottonwood.

Bowkills

Nw oh
Ive burnt 95 percent ash since the bore went through. Sad to say but its almost at an end. The trees that are standing are rotting in this area. Maybe only a season or two left good logs are getting harder to find. Ill return to the oak hickory and locusts after that, just need more curing time and more frequent chain sharpening.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Cut up a dead tree that a family member had cut down, and the boys wanted to split it the old fashioned way. They did pretty good, then they tired some green wood that was also cut down. They wood is like bouncing the axe off a rubber ball.
AFDAD46D-CB7A-49DF-B9F0-CF21ED8808F0.jpeg