Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Management Stakeholder Organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Per your graph only about 1000 farmers complained. At its peak about 2500 complained that year. Should 1000 farmers be able to dictate the deer population of the entire state? Does their opinion matter more than 600,000+ hunters? Why does the opinion of 1000 farmers mean that the wildlife population of an entire state gets decimated.

And what about coon and groundhog damage. A Purdue university study over multiple years found that the majority of crop damage was not caused by deer even though the majority of the farmers blamed the deer. The vast majority was coon and groundhog.

The farmer complaint excuse they're using in all this is just that an excuse . Farmers don't care in numbers that would cause such actions. Insurance companies care, the same insurance company that yanks the chain of farm bureau and politicians.

I'll never accept the farmer excuse until I see something being done to target the coon and groundhog populations. My personal opinion is that before a farmer gets a single crop damage permit he should have to provide 20 coon tails. But like I said, it's not about crop damage its the tens of millions per year that stays in the coffers of insurance companies that matters. Nice to see that DVAs have decreased so much since 2002. Funny thing is I don't recall insurance rates dropping despite the hundreds of millions that prevented from being paid out of their profits.

I was just throwing out a idea.
Just because there is only a 1000 complaints on the record does't mean the other farmers don't complain to the Farm Bureau for help.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I was just throwing out a idea.
Just because there is only a 1000 complaints on the record does't mean the other farmers don't complain to the Farm Bureau for help.
I get what your saying, but if such a mass of documented complaints existed the DNR would have them front page news as tangable proof of why they decimated the population. No such a thing exists so they just give lip service that farmers are the reason.

B

bawana

Our first meeting is set for the first week of May, I have forwarded a request for the meeting to be streamed either audio and/or video, just waiting for a response.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Streamed. Not my thing. Definitely a popular and often used method.

Good to hear from you. Good to hear you are trying to accommodate all possible age ranges. Thank you Bawana. Good update.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The first meeting was May 17th if I remember correctly. So much for a social media outreach, transparency, and information sharing.

Wheres the Facebook, twitter, instagram, meeting livestresm, email newsletter, hunting forum updates, all the things a social media presence should be doing? An 11 year old can livestream himself singing spongebob but Hunters can't get a livestream recording of a meeting despite having 3.5 months to prepare for it? It takes 10 minutes to create a Facebook account and hit go live.

Like i said in the beginning. Brent may be a good guy, but he obviously was not chosen on the basis of qualifications.

With that said I'm sure someone else who never logs in but to suit themself will be along shortly with a rebuttal.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Tell us how you really feel, lol.
Beating around the bush has never been my thing. I call it like i see it, some may find that brash or rude, i call it honesty. The world would be a far better place if people just said what the mean instead of hem hawing and hinting around at it. My dad always said "If you've got something to say boy then say it and quit hinting at it like a damn girl"

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yep thats the best way to be Joe,speak your mind and be done with it,if they dont like it tough shit! At least they know where you're coming from.
But back to the subject,i also have been wondering what is going on with this.
Not off to a very good start.

M

mrex.0

With that said I'm sure someone else who never logs in but to suit themself will be along shortly with a rebuttal.

Brent has been working through some health issues. I'm sure he'll provide a detailed synopsis when he's feeling up to it.

Above is a screen shot of the 6 agreed upon stakeholder objectives in no particular order. We spent the entire first meeting in conceptual mode. The remaining 3 meetings will focus on implementation. No small task.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I'm curious as to your thoughts on where the perceived balance is tipping at this point in time between hunters, farmers and landowners.

Status
Not open for further replies.