Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dantes 2013/14 journal.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Went to the west property yesterday to try and accomplish 3 things.

First, I wanted to put the lower steps back on my stand from last year. got that done
second I wanted to pull my cam. got that done as well
this is the only video that was worth posting
[video=youtube;ahR5IaWatHs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahR5IaWatHs&feature=youtu.be[/video]
These are all the good bucks from the property together apparently for the last time. The smallest one has been showing up occasionally since this clip was taken, but none of the others.

The last thing I wanted to do was hang my last stand. This isn't done yet. I was using screw in steps and ran out before I got to where I wanted to go. I was also feeling like hammered crap and just plain ran out of strength to finish. between the heat and the slight fever I was running, my hands were so sweaty I was afraid I was going to loose my grip and fall. I laid the stand in some weeds by the tree, and will get a couple more steps. Hopefully I can get it accomplished next weekend.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Done!

Got the last stand hung today. All the lanes are trimmed, including in the areas I have picked for climbers. I had a half bag of corn left so I took that out to the east property and set a camera back up in an area where I see the most doe traffic. I plan to leave that cam run until I get a chance to hunt the stand that is about 60 yards from it.

Gotta get my camo washed, go through my gear and get everything ready on that front, but other than that, I'm ready to hunt.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Seems August and September are going to be or normal busy months at work. Don't think I have put in a normal hour paycheck in the last 3 months. Have today off and right back to work tomorrow for OT yet again. Sorry I couldn't help more to get your stuff done buddy. Glad to see you got them all up and ready. Should start slowing down toward the end of the month at least I hope lol.

Seen any squirrel hunters on the properties yet? Figure the west property guy should start hitting there every Thursday-Sunday like he had the last few years and the normal trespassers on the east property should be in there as well.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Sorry I couldn't help more to get your stuff done buddy. Glad to see you got them all up and ready. Should start slowing down toward the end of the month at least I hope lol.

That's cool. You know you are welcome to sit any of the stands I got out. The one I put up yesterday is yours anyway LOL. just don't laugh when you see the "climbing system" I came up with to get into the one on the point. The tree has kind of a funky lean to it just before you get to the stand. The screw in steps were kinda awkward to use at an angle like that, so I had to get "creative". Should be a good stand though, got a lot of prime trails covered as well as the field edge.

Seen any squirrel hunters on the properties yet? Figure the west property guy should start hitting there every Thursday-Sunday like he had the last few years and the normal trespassers on the east property should be in there as well.

Haven't seen anybody at either place.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That's cool. You know you are welcome to sit any of the stands I got out. The one I put up yesterday is yours anyway LOL. just don't laugh when you see the "climbing system" I came up with to get into the one on the point. The tree has kind of a funky lean to it just before you get to the stand. The screw in steps were kinda awkward to use at an angle like that, so I had to get "creative". Should be a good stand though, got a lot of prime trails covered as well as the field edge.

Haven't seen anybody at either place.

Can't be any worse then my woods stand lol.

Really surprised the tree rat crews have not been in there yet. Usually they get in and walk all over the place fuggin everything up by now lol. Hope they stay out but we both know that isn't going to happen.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Really surprised the tree rat crews have not been in there yet. Usually they get in and walk all over the place fuggin everything up by now lol. Hope they stay out but we both know that isn't going to happen.

Dont know how much that really matters. With velvet coming off and food sources changing, everything is getting screwed up right now any way.

Here are final stand placements.
The red circles indicate areas that are ready for climbers. Blue lines are current know trails. The yellow square on the east property is a doe bedding area.

The "new stand" is right next to where the trail cam was catching Mr. T and company. It is a long hike to get to it and you either need to go through the woods that are really cluttered with downed trees and branches which makes it all but impossible to walk through quietly, or along the edges of the fields. These reasons are why I will only hunt this stand with a west, northwest wind, and in the evening for now.

The "cove stand" was actually put up last year but I never really had a chance to hunt it. Right across the cove from the stand is a large primary scrape that get used every year. The camera I put up yesterday is pointing at the scrape.

The "point stand" is the one I hung yesterday. There was another stand there last year, but whoever that belonged to put it right on top of the trail just to the right of it. When i saw that the stand got pulled in the spring, i knew I at least wanted to put up a "dummy stand" just to kind of claim that spot. When I went to put the stand up I realized that there was a great locust tree just off the trail in an overgrown spot next to the creek the, with a little trimming, would give a shot to not only the main trail coming down from the brushy fencerow to the north, but also the field edge and a couple other trails. This should be a decent spot.

The buddy stand is very well concealed but has limited shooting lanes, I figure this would be a good stand to sit with one of the kids during youth gun.

The north block stand is in the area where I had all those encounters with "angle" a couple years ago, I did a little more trimming this year to open up a couple more lanes, but again, I had already filled my buck tag last season before I got a chance to hunt it very much.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The New stand is about 50 yards or a little more south of where I had a stand. The point stand is also about 50 yards from where I had a stand lol. TOO funny. I never got to hunt either of them very much but I do agree they are in great spots. Should see a few good ones work their way by as long as you get some good seat time unlike I did.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Got my tags today! also had a few minutes to sort out my camo, and get my gear organized. I could still smell smoke when i opened my camo tub.

2 weeks!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Opening morning.

Wind, ESE 5 - 10 mph
moon, high in the sky, last quarter
Temp, mid 50s
barometer, 30.19
mostly sunny

Decided to sit in the new stand on the west property. As I was walking down the hill to the drainage at the bottom of a freshly cut bean field, I noticed long shadows laying on the ground about 30 yards out from the tree line. Couldnt quite tell what they were yet.

As I approached my stand I realized that the area leading up to it had all been brush hogged. thats was awesome as far as i was concerned, the tree was more or less in the middle of a thick tangle of briars, thorns, golden rod... I wasnt sure I was going to be able to find the trail I made through all that in the dark, now I didnt need to worry about it.

Once I got into my stand and got strapped in I got to work getting my bow hanger in, pulling up my bow, getting gloves on... I use a green cap light and I kept catching glimpses of something round on the trail about 15 yards to my right, but I couldn't yet tell what exactly it was.

As the sun broke the horizon, i realized the round object was a rim, that was in the middle of a tire, that was attached to a friggin tractor. I also realized that the long object on the ground were logs. the land owner had been removing last years dead falls from the woods the last few days. he had been using the deer trail I set my stand up on as access.

At first I was a little bummed, then I realized he had taken that little trail and turned it into a road. Might not be the best thing right now, but after he is done, that is going to become a freakin highway, 17 yards from my stand! SWEET!!!

I wasnt expecting much but sat anyway as it was a spectacular morning and i only had a couple hours anyway. Just before 8 oclock I heard something behind me, i turned and there was a young doe stepping into the freshly brush hogged area. She was at 15 yards directly downwind and just as relaxed as you please. (insert testimonial for scent smoker and evercalm here) She stepped into the woods and milled around for at least a half hour before stomping at the tractor parked in the path a few times and then wandering off.

About an hour later I started hearing a racket coming from the north east of me. Turned out to be the landowner and his buddy driving down the field to cut up and begin hauling out the logs. Cut my hunt short, but thats ok, hes doing me a favor by opening up all the blocked trails, brush hogging around my stand and creating that nice path with the tractor.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Morning hunt.

wind, south 5 - 10 mph
moon, last quarter, high in the sky
temp, mid 50s
barometer, 30.06
mostly cloudy

Got to the field a little late, wasnt sure where to hunt due to the wood still being cut where I was yesterday, and the south wind. Adam was also running a little late and suggested to save time, we both sit in his ground blind in a drainage of a corn field. Shortly after sunrise, I spotted the face of a coyote peering out from the corn rows across from us. he must have seen the movement as we reached for our bows because he disappeared just as fast as he showed up.

A few minutes later i looked out the side window and spotted a buck walking towards us. Adam recognized the deer as a young 8 point. we both decided not to shoot it, but it was still cool to have a buck right in front of us, at 20 yards at eye level. Even after he lifted his tail and took a shit just to show off.

didnt see anything else the rest of the morning.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice memory with Adam right there. Not all hunts with a friend result in seeing anything. Still good memories though.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Evening sit

wind SSW 10 mph
moon, had not come up yet
temp, 67
barometer, 30.01
mostly cloudy light rain

Sat in the cove stand. I really wanted to slip up into the new stand past the swamp, but due to me being a little stinky from the days activities, and the wind not being able to decide what it wanted to do, I figured I could sit in the lower stand and see what was going on up there and still have a possibility of shooting something.

Just before 7 oclock, I spotted scout come out from the woods just below the pond, about halfway up the tree line. he wandered out into the pasture and started to feed. I was happy to see that because I had wondered if they were feeding out there or just passing through. Now I know.

A few minutes later, another deer stepped out right behind scout. This one was better, at first I thought it was junior, but this deer was smaller. I think it is a young 8 (maybe three and a half) that I only had a couple pics of and had never bothered to name him.

I was hoping they would come closer so I could get a better look at the second deer, but scout got out far enough to get my scent and turned around and went back to the woods. The other deer just looked at him like "What?" but decided to follow him into the woods anyway.

All in all, it was a good opening weekend. No blood, but some good encounters.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county

pretty sure the deer on the right facing away from the camera is the second one that came out. I'll have to look, I might have another pic of him.